test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Devs and players say Space Barbie is a kind of end game. Yesterday, devs were discussing 4/4 and 5/3

vonkaspervonkasper Member Posts: 13 Arc User
Devs and players say Space Barbie is a kind of end game. Yesterday, devs were discussing 4/4 and 5/3 weapons on ships, they said the only problem is the visuals. I want to reinforce that we can´t have a 4/4 beams only ship. Not for doing overpowered damage, but for aesthetics.

We could have restrictions lifted for sets and crafted, or one of them.

There were mentions of discussions and talkings about lifting the restrictions, and I understand they want the weapon choices and angles matter.

If the ship is 4/4, to make all the weapons look the same, it needs to be cannons+turrets or mix a weapon that does not match the others, like a kcb beam, or mines or turrets. Or Broadsiding/attacking from the sides.

Problems with broadsiding happens if you want to use dual beams, or torpedos and abilities with lower angles of attack, like Gravity Well, even more on Carriers that have slow turn rate. Or if you use the "follow" option on camera.

I don´t want all ships to be 5/3, but we could have maybe a middle term like lowered omni restrctions, even, a "beam turret" with smaller damage? I don´t want to insta-vaporise TFOs, I would like please more options.

Thanks in advance.

Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    shadowkain666shadowkain666 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    > @vonkasper said:
    > Devs and players say Space Barbie is a kind of end game. Yesterday, devs were discussing 4/4 and 5/3 weapons on ships, they said the only problem is the visuals. I want to reinforce that we can´t have a 4/4 beams only ship. Not for doing overpowered damage, but for aesthetics.
    >
    > We could have restrictions lifted for sets and crafted, or one of them.
    >
    > There were mentions of discussions and talkings about lifting the restrictions, and I understand they want the weapon choices and angles matter.
    >
    > If the ship is 4/4, to make all the weapons look the same, it needs to be cannons+turrets or mix a weapon that does not match the others, like a kcb beam, or mines or turrets. Or Broadsiding/attacking from the sides.
    >
    > Problems with broadsiding happens if you want to use dual beams, or torpedos and abilities with lower angles of attack, like Gravity Well, even more on Carriers that have slow turn rate. Or if you use the "follow" option on camera.
    >
    > I don´t want all ships to be 5/3, but we could have maybe a middle term like lowered omni restrctions, even, a "beam turret" with smaller damage? I don´t want to insta-vaporise TFOs, I would like please more options.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

I have always felt that the weapon and skill implementation in STO was just.. not good. It's built on the Champions engine and it retains wayyyyy too much flashy flashy clutter everywhere.

This is mostly due to skills but I have always felt like the weapons were excessive as soon as you get past early level.

Flying around in the early levels with limited weapons just feels right for Star Trek. Once you're pewpew'ing half a dozen beams and cannons like it's a rave it just looks and feels silly.

Sadly, this is the way STO is built from the ground up and there is no way to change that now without drastically gutting the whole thing and inadvertently TRIBBLE over players with builds and setups they have spent a lot of time and money on.

The only way I see of being able to address this would be to remove the restrictions and revamp the ship power mechanic. It used to matter a pot more than it does these days with so many items basically making ship power a joke.

I'd remove power buffs entirely and make the ship power system much more restrictive. Make additional weapons hard cap a certain portion of that power and be a bigger drain on power. This would introduce the choice between dedicating one, two or a few key weapons for massive damage per shot, or adding many weapons for sustained harrassment (dps vs burst).

So, you could have people flying a galaxy like TNG Enterprise, firing off powerful slow phaser shots with key torpedo usage, and people flying around with multiple phasers/cannons for overall lower damage but higher sustained damage through volume of fire.

Anyway.. like I said it is never going to amount to anything because it's just too late to do anything about it.

On a slightly unrelated note but still regarding space barbie, please Cryptic for the love of the gods let us toggle off/on all the obnoxious skill visual spam.

I'm not even disabled or impaired in any way but I am noticing as I get older that not only is it almost impossible to see anything in most TFO's, the insane amount of visual noise physically - literally physically - hurts my eyes and I can't believe I'm the only one.
    e63e55c36223829a1ca86f1c34decbb41412849597_604x370.jpg
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,319 Community Moderator
    necro /thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.