What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fleet T6 Ar'kif good "cheap" build

2»

Comments

• Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    There's an edit monster that can result in lost (eaten) posts. It's just a glitch. Nobody is deleting your posts. If you're experiencing it using a text editor to help ensure you don't lose what you type can help.
  • Options
    jinno1993#9127 jinno1993 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    that's frustrating ... a lot.

btw, my power levels are:
    125/100 (W)
    42/30 (S)
    36/15 (E)
    22/15 (A)

as for weapons power cost:
    -10% (Sing Core)
    -25% (Valdore + Morrigu 2pc set)
    -50% (EPtW | Trait)

Power Transfer Rate: 408%

so no, i don't think it's weapon power the problem ...

also, I just noticed I have hard times killing NPC ships in STO: I faced Heralds in Herald Sphere (Advanced) and they did RIDICOUSLY high damage to me, while I did little to them ... that's absurd, really !
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    You're doing everything right when it comes to weapons power, weapons power cost reduction, some haste, and EPS flow.

Using Photonic Officer 2 + single A2B should have your bridge officer cooldowns working great.

I think you have a very nice build :+1:

Minor differences between your fleet Ar'Kif and mine could be in the skill tree, choices in active space reputation, using the 2 piece Discovery singularity core and shield, retaining the Assimilated Module versus the cutting beam, the Lorca console, the withering barrage trait, and using emergency power to weapons 3 versus 1.

The numerous cat 1 +anti-proton consoles I crammed into mine shouldn't make a huge difference... I threw in as many as I could to show and offer some choices. The Crystalline Matrix console is a great choice.

If you haven't tried the Lorca console from the DSC reputation it can be a very good choice instead of another fleet tactical console.

The DSC singularity and shield can be good for a big increase in hull regeneration and capacity but what you're using is very nice. If you try the DSC sing & shield the space reputation trait Tyler's Duality for even more CrtH based on hull capacity is complimentary. You could use this even without the 2 piece DSC set as more CrtH is always good.

My other space reputation choices are usually Precision, Advanced Targeting, and Magnified Firepower. Another one that stands out is Energy Refrequencer for a hull heal based on damage done <-- this one can be well worth it

The Valdore and Morrigu consoles have a nice 2 piece set bonus.

The Assimilated Module adds CrtH, CrtD, and weapons power. Consoles like this are usually really high value just like other things like the fleet intervention deflector and Tyler's Duality due to the added CrtH. Consider keeping it versus the kinetic cutting beam. It's a hidden gem unless you have something better.

With the Valdore console firming up your shields and something like Energy Refrequencer helping your hull you might want to try emergency power to weapons 3 versus 1.

With random advanced TFO's and something like the Herald Sphere it could be that you were outperforming the rest of your team and getting a lot of aggro. It's one of the more rowdy queues.

The only general test I can suggest is to hop into The Ninth Rule patrol on advanced difficutly (with Science Team slotted for all the darned subnucs) and see if you can take out all of the constantly spawning final enemy group. Normally if this is achievable it's a good indicator that things are working more than good enough for advanced or better queues. Yes sometimes one of the Klingons will flank or you get subnuc'd multiple times and that's when I blow up.

The only other thing I can think of that can greatly add to the efficiency of the operation of a ship is a keybind for the basic tactical rotation to tie those bridge officer abilities to a single key. It can make a significant difference as compared to clicking on things and is relatively simple to set up. I couldn't go back to clicking on things after trying it for a week. With the decreased workload it seems much easier to focus on piloting and other things like when APA is coming of cooldown next.

Imagine pressing a single key of your choice to cycle through these 8 abilities -

EPtW & E --> CSV --> APB --> KLW --> TT --> A2B --> PO2

It really improved my focus and damage dealt whether doing missions or RATFOS. I used this exact method - Instructional Video
  • Options
    westmetals wrote: »

125/100 (W)
    42/30 (S)
    36/15 (E)
    22/15 (A)

-10% (Sing Core)
    -50% (EPtW | Trait)

also, I just noticed I have hard times killing NPC ships in STO: I faced Heralds in Herald Sphere (Advanced) and they did RIDICOUSLY high damage to me, while I did little to them ... that's absurd, really !

That does sound sufficient, but how does it look in action? Does your weapon power fully recover before the next firing cycle?

As for them doing damage to you... you might need more resistances, etc. There are some traits that can be used for that (History Will Remember and Honored Dead are the ones I am using). The Energy Refrequencer rep trait will also heal you (based on a percentage of outgoing damage).

With this sort of build it would not be advised to rely on active heals, because those generally scale with Aux power and yours is really low. (This is also an issue with Aux2Bat style builds for the same reason).

As for your question about the Bellum type Discovery consoles... the science and engineering ones CAN be nice, but it depends on which specific ones. My TOS Recruit uses two Bellum EPS consoles for example.

Those are some good suggestions. Using a starship or space trait dedicated to increased survivability can work great. Context is for Kings is another one that seems to work well.

It's already been said that PTR isn't everything when it comes to improving damage. There could be something going on here beyond EPS.

Looking at my energy builds from a weapons cost reduction and PTR standpoint all have the Emergency Weapon Cycle starship trait, two points into electro-plasma systems flow on the skill tree, with some but not all using the Reinforced Armaments console adding another 53-70 percent PTR rate depending upon rarity. Those using a fleet intervention deflector get another +10.6 EPS flow. All use the highest rank of emergency power to weapons available.

This results in a PTR ranging from 210 to 310 percent with some sitting in the middle at 266 on ships ranging from 4/4 beams to 5/3 cannons that are all directed energy (no torpedos).

At some point it might be appropriate to focus more on efficiency of operation (execution) given the large gains it can provide.
  • Options
    protoneous wrote: »

125/100 (W)
    42/30 (S)
    36/15 (E)
    22/15 (A)

-10% (Sing Core)
    -50% (EPtW | Trait)

That does sound sufficient, but how does it look in action? Does your weapon power fully recover before the next firing cycle?

As for them doing damage to you... you might need more resistances, etc. There are some traits that can be used for that (History Will Remember and Honored Dead are the ones I am using). The Energy Refrequencer rep trait will also heal you (based on a percentage of outgoing damage).

With this sort of build it would not be advised to rely on active heals, because those generally scale with Aux power and yours is really low. (This is also an issue with Aux2Bat style builds for the same reason).

As for your question about the Bellum type Discovery consoles... the science and engineering ones CAN be nice, but it depends on which specific ones. My TOS Recruit uses two Bellum EPS consoles for example.

Those are some good suggestions. Using a starship or space trait dedicated to increased survivability can work great. Context is for Kings is another one that seems to work well.

It's already been said that PTR isn't everything when it comes to improving damage. There could be something going on here beyond EPS.

Looking at my energy builds from a weapons cost reduction and PTR standpoint all have the Emergency Weapon Cycle starship trait, two points into electro-plasma systems flow on the skill tree, with some but not all using the Reinforced Armaments console adding another 53-70 percent PTR rate depending upon rarity. Those using a fleet intervention deflector get another +10.6 EPS flow. All use the highest rank of emergency power to weapons available.

This results in a PTR ranging from 210 to 310 percent with some sitting in the middle at 266 on ships ranging from 4/4 beams to 5/3 cannons that are all directed energy (no torpedos).

At some point it might be appropriate to focus more on efficiency of operation (execution) given the large gains it can provide.

True, true. But if weapon power is not fully recovering before the next cycle, that is likely the cause of the perceived damage issue... and that sort of problem tends to spiral in longer combat.

And yes, you are correct, using your BOFFs more efficiently can be a big chunk of improvement as well. This is partially the reason that so many discussions talk about cooldown management - so you can recycle your BOFF skills more quickly and thus more often. In some cases - like the EPtX skills - it's possible to keep them going virtually 100% of the time because their effect is the same duration as their minimum cooldown.

I had a look at the weapon's power recovery on the one Romulan character that has the same ship as the OP while doing some advanced patrols. It's set up as per the photo on the previous page and uses PO2 + A2B for cool downs.

Am using the 2 piece Discovery shield and singularity core with the core guilded so offering its usual +5-15 shield power as well as gaining a W->S modifier.

Power levels at rest are 120-46-42-53. No consoles offering additional EPS flow are being used but a fleet intervention deflector does offer +10 for a total PTR of 210 %.

What I'm seeing is power levels during a very small portion of the tactical rotation and firing cycle hitting 70, but it's highly transient (for a second or two at most) then back up for a quick recovery. For the vast majority of the time weapons power is at 100 plus so I don't see weapons power or PTR as an issue nor does it seem to degrade over time in combat due to the good cooldowns offered by PO2 + A2B.

It does seem like PTR and weapons power could be more of a perceived issue in this case.

With respect to efficiency as it relates to bridge officer cooldowns I think the cooldown portion is adequately covered.

Efficiency as it relates to operation and being able to trigger the 8 boff abilities reliably and repeatedly and without a undo amount of focus used up in clicking on things (execution) is vastly improved by setting up a basic tactical rotation keybind. I can't emphasize this enough as this is where it seems the largest gains are possible after other things are taken care of.

The difference, for me at least, is being able to sit in The Ninth Rule on advanced and mow down the respawning final enemy group versus blowing up, and it seems to offer similar advantages when playing advanced TFO's.

I recently went into the same patrol on a character without a keybind set up to get mastery for a new ship. Even with the same rotation laid out in a logical order and bound to a variety of individual easy to reach keys and mouse buttons that I'm very familiar with I was unable to replicate the same performance.

If I was to throw a number out off the top of my hat I'd say a basic keybind can double overall performance. The increase in focus is priceless. That is the magic of reducing eight individual key presses to one.
  • Options
    qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    It is a forum bug. Sometimes posts disappear. The first time it happened to me, I was drunk and ranting about Wagner. I thought I was being ninja-censored. Then I took my arguments to Reddit where I got my drunk-tribble thread closed for arguing with people about child-labor laws. I am still bitter about it. And I still don’t like Wagner.

But somewhere there is a thread about the disappearing forum post bugs. If I can find it—I’ll link it here.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1229701/disappearing-forum-posts

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1242862/hunting-the-edit-monster
  • Options
    protoneous wrote: »
    What I'm seeing is power levels during a very small portion of the tactical rotation and firing cycle hitting 70, but it's highly transient (for a second or two at most) then back up for a quick recovery. For the vast majority of the time weapons power is at 100 plus so I don't see weapons power or PTR as an issue nor does it seem to degrade over time in combat due to the good cooldowns offered by PO2 + A2B.

It does seem like PTR and weapons power could be more of a perceived issue in this case.

What I was referring to is the power level immediately before the weapons fire... whether or not it has regained its original level or not.

Because what I have seen happen in some cases in the past, is that if your weapons power is slightly lower at that point, then your damage is slightly depressed in that following cycle... but also the power level tends to recover to a larger deficit, and then an even larger deficit, and so on.

Think I've seen what you're referring to... it's like running out of gas slowly while firing.

That sounds like something that would happen without enough weapons power and power transfer rate.

I don't think that's happening in this case providing the boff abilities are always being properly cycled.

It could be the firing cycle of the weapons drawing things down a bit during that quick transient dip but it's heading back up immediately after.

I thought it might be just things getting a little bit out of synch.

The end result seemed very workable.

A PTR range of 210-310 with some of my ships at 266 seems about right. From what I'm reading you can go over this but the added benefit is diminishing. Weapons power cost reduction like the Arbiter trait also help.