test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How to fix the counterintuitive Pilot mechanic

tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
Two days ago, I got my Cheirax Bioship and when I accidentally double-tapped a direction key, I noticed the ship jumping about the screen
I then noticed it was utilising the Pilot ship mechanic, so started testing how it worked.

Then I got confused:
?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false
I have to press backwards to go forwards and vice versa.

Is there a way to fix this without changing the pitch up/pitch down keybinds?

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(

Comments

• edrickvellorinedrickvellorin Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    Seems like maybe you remapped your W and S keys? Because for me I double tap W (down) to go forward and S (up) to go back. If you want to disable the double tap, you can do it through options. On Options->Controls for Space turn off "Tap movement direction twice to roll" and that will disable the double tap pilot maneuvers, leaving you with the on screen buttons.
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    I did remap my keys, because I don't like default configuration in any game.
    Not when there's some perfectly good arrow keys just sitting there available to utilise....... B)

It's not that I want to disable the double-tap, as I want the function to be reassigned to some other key.
    But I strongly suspect that doing this without changing pitch up/pitch down is not possible, since they share the same keybind.

I do not want to use the mouse to operate pilot commands.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • edrickvellorinedrickvellorin Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    Without external software, disable double tap or swap the up/down keys are your options, since it's not a separate keybind it's linked to the "movement" keys. There are no other ways to activate pilot abilities that I know of without help from external software.

Now if you installed AutoHotkey, you could use a small script to bind the forward/back pilot abilities to other keys.
    $^Up::
    {
     if WinActive("ahk_class CrypticWindowClass") and WinActive("Star Trek Online")
    	Send {Down 2}
     else
    	Send ^{Up}
     return
    }

$^Down::
    {
     if WinActive("ahk_class CrypticWindowClass") and WinActive("Star Trek Online")
    	Send {Up 2}
     else
    	Send ^{Down}
     return
    }
    ; This short script will make Control+Up do down twice and Control+Down do up twice.
    ; Replacing the two ^ with + would change it to use Shift+Up, Shift+Down.
    ; Changing them to ! would use Alt+Up and Alt+Down.
    ; The $ prevents the Up hotkey from triggering the Down hotkey and vice versa causing an endless loop.
    ; The first WinActive checks ensure the hotkey will only trigger in Star Trek Online

Edit: Fixed a minor error in the script caused by changes made to test it with my keybinds. (Replacing w and s with Down and Up.)