test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Benthan assault cruiser build advice needed

captainkccaptainkc Member Posts: 111 Arc User
edited July 2021 in The Shipyard
I bought the Benthan assault cruiser from Mudd's and want to go with a phaser beam build. My avatar is a Science captain and need build advice. I have access to fleet stores if that helps me get the right consoles.

Screenshot of my current setup

Edit: stupid me, I forgot to put the names of the parts. They are:

Fore weapons
Integrity-Linked Phaser Beam Array Mk XV [Ac/Dm] [Acc] [CrtH]x2 [Dmg]
Resilience-Linked Phaser Dual Beam Bank Mk IV [CrtD] [Dmg]x2
Prolonged Engagement Photon Torpedo Mk XII [Acc] [Dmg]x2
Emitter-Linked Phaser Beam Array Mk XIII [CrtH] [Dmg]x2
Deflector, Impulse and Shields
Aegis Technological Research set, Mk XIII
Warp
Dyson Field Stabilizing Warp Core Mk XII
Aft weapons
Prolonged Engagement Phaser Beam Array Mk XII
Photon Torpedo Launcher Mk XV [Ac/Dm] [CrtD] [CrtH] [Dmg]x2
Twin Phaser Beam Array Mk XIV [CrtH]x2 [Dmg]
Advanced Inhibiting Phaser Omni-Directional Beam Array Mk XIII [Acc] [Arc] [Dmg]
Devices
Red Matter Capacitor
Beacon of Kahless

Consoles
Engineering
Polaric Chromoelectric Modulator
Voth Power Subcore
Hydrodynamics Compensator Mk XII
Science
Plasma-Generating Weapon Signature Nullifier Mk XIII [DrainX]
Tactical
Prolonged Engagement Power Dynamo
Directed Energy Distribution Manifold Mk XII
Counter-Command Multi-Conduit Energy Relay Mk XII
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey ... stuff. --the Doctor, "Blink"
Post edited by captainkc on

Comments

• Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    I'd lose the counter-command consoles, since you are not using the biomolecular weapons. Replace the photon launcher ASAP with the gravimetric launcher it's one of the top 3 launchers in the game. Play Sunrise for the Quantum Phase Converter.
    If you have access to the Bajoran fighter, the Domino console gives good boosts.
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    I tossed together this build from one of my toons

fearless.jpg

the consoles I chose, Domino. decent clicky, but +15 phaser +20 accuracy is a must. Ominous device, +20 all damage retro assimilator and rcs are placholders. the rcs will be replaced by one with Res mod, retro with the quantum console in the sci slots, the helical torsion gives +phaser the quantum warhead console a + to torpedo damage and hey, a pretty nice punch.
    all in all i have 2-3 placeholder consoles, one will be Console - Universal - Proton Particle Stabilizer Mk XII
    and the Gravimetric Photon Torpedo Launcher Mk XII which boosts photon torpedo damage.
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    captainkc wrote: »
    I bought the Benthan assault cruiser from Mudd's and want to go with a phaser beam build. My avatar is a Science captain and need build advice. I have access to fleet stores if that helps me get the right consoles.
    I like @westmetals approach of re-arranging a few things to get energy specific tactical consoles into tactical slots as a first step.
    westmetals wrote: »
    It's possible to do a lot more than this, but this should give some improvement with minimal work.
    :+1:

There's quite a few storyline, crafted, reputation, and fleet items that would fill some more holes but it's nice to go one step at a time.

That's a fine ship you have there :smile:

As well as your bridge officer abilities/doffs/traits as requested it would be handy to see your skill tree. It can be typed out line by line starting from the lowest rank (Lieutenant) just by giving the number of skill points used from left to right.

i.e. what's typed out below is this skill tree

• Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User
    is the prolonged power dynamo worth it?
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    is the prolonged power dynamo worth it?

I think it is in within the context of the OP's build... there's still room for additional consoles. It may end up being replaced with something more effective as the build progresses.
  • Options
    protoneous wrote: »
    As well as your bridge officer abilities/doffs/traits as requested it would be handy to see your skill tree. It can be typed out line by line starting from the lowest rank (Lieutenant) just by giving the number of skill points used from left to right.

I can't make heads or tails of that skill tree, as all my BOffs begin from Ensign not Lt rank. But here are the skills they possess anyway--
    Tactical N.
    Fire at Will 1/Overload 1
    Target Shields Subsystems 2/High Yield Torp 2
    Rapid Fire Cannon 2/Mine Dispersal Alpha 2
    Attack Patt Omega 2/Attack Patt Delta 3
    Tactical A.
    Overload 1/High Yield Torp 1
    Tac Team 2
    Omega 1/Spread Torp 3
    Attack Patt Delta 3
    Tactical S.
    High Yield Torp 1
    Scatter Volley Cann 1
    Attack Patt Beta 2
    Attack Patt Omega 2
    Engineer B.
    Emer Power to Eng 1
    Extend Shields 1
    Aux Power to Structural Integrity 2
    Reverse Shield Pol 1
    Engineer O.
    Emer Power to Shields 1
    Eng Team 2
    Dir Energy Mod 2
    Aceton Beam 3
    Engineer/Command S.
    Overwhelm Emitters 1
    Emer Power to Shields 2
    Call Emer Artillery 1/Suppression Barr 1
    Reverse Shield Polarity 3
    Engineer/Pilot T.
    Emer Power to Shields 1/Lock Traj 1
    Dir Energy Mod 1/Emer Power to Weapons 2/Fly her Apart 1
    Aux Power to Inertial Damp 2/Aux Power to Structural Int Field 2/Form Up
    Aceton Beam 2/Eject Warp Plasma 2/Reroute Reserves to Weap 2
    Science/Command K.
    Jam Targ Sensors 1/Tachyon Beam 1/Conc Firepower 1
    Tractor Beam 2/Rally Pt Marker 1
    Charged Part Burst 2/Photonic Shockwave 1/Emerg Artillery 1
    Gravity Well 2/Tyken's Rift 3/Suppression Barr 2
    Science N.
    Delayed Overload Casc 1/Tractor Beam 1
    Hazard Emit 2
    Charged Part Burst 2
    Gravity Well 3
    Science/Miracle Worker T.
    Tractor Beam 1
    Very Cold in space 2/Nanite Repair Payload 2
    Feedback Pulse 2
    Reroute Shields to Hull Cont 3
    Science Z.
    Science Team 1
    Transfer Shield Str 2
    Hazard Emitt 3
    Energy Siphon 3/Photonic Shockwave 3

PS. I tried to access the Fleet Spire, even getting an invite for another fleet spire, but an error says the store needs re-provisioning. My budget is 10M+ EC, 90K+ refined Dil, and 5K Zen.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey ... stuff. --the Doctor, "Blink"
  • Options

I can't make heads or tails of that skill tree, as all my BOffs begin from Ensign not Lt rank. But here are the skills they possess anyway--

PS. I tried to access the Fleet Spire, even getting an invite for another fleet spire, but an error says the store needs re-provisioning. My budget is 10M+ EC, 90K+ refined Dil, and 5K Zen.

Don't worry about your skill tree for now. Thanks for the big list of all your available bridge officer abilities. Which ones are you using on your ship?

Your Spire Fleet store needs re-provisioning if it gives that message. Perhaps check to see if an fleet admin or designate is available to slot a project?

I think it's a really good suggestion by @westmetals to grab some tac consoles first thing. How is the rest of things going?
  • Options
    Don't worry about your skill tree for now. Thanks for the big list of all your available bridge officer abilities. Which ones are you using on your ship?

Your Spire Fleet store needs re-provisioning if it gives that message. Perhaps check to see if an fleet admin or designate is available to slot a project?

I think it's a really good suggestion by @westmetals to grab some tac consoles first thing. How is the rest of things going?

For all of my avatars I keep it simple with BOff abilities and slot those using cannons, beam overload and fire at will, emergency power to weapons and shields, evasive maneuvers, and maybe a Tyken’s rift. The fleet is mostly dormant... I never encounter another member no matter what time I play and I can’t slot a project. I’ve been considering leaving for months but this is the last straw 😡 Until I can get those Phaser Vulnerability Locators, there are places in my ship roster and reputations that I can look for phaser consoles. I found an Omni Phaser beam bank from another ship (not the Nexus mish one) and slotted that. But I don’t have the Bajoran ship; I’m not going to buy a ship, take the console and trash the rest.

annemarie30 asked:
    » is the prolonged power dynamo worth it?
    Hi, are you asking in general because you are considering using one, or in the context of my ship? It’s a 3 piece set of console phaser and torp. I like sets because they give bonuses and you don’t have to figure out which part fits with which other part. If you have a phaser-based build like my Benthan then yeah you should consider using the set.
  • Options
    I like sets because they give bonuses and you don’t have to figure out which part fits with which other part.
    Here are some free mission rewards for your consideration, including a couple sets, that would come in handy on your build -

Trilithium Laced Weaponry engineering console & omni beam for 2 piece (these are best in class items that you have room for now).

Quantum Phase Catalysts the 2 piece universal console and beam array or 3 pc. The universal console could potentially replace your fleet plasma console - they both have Drain X but the mission reward console does more for you.

Console - Science - Temporal Disentanglement Suite just the science console (don't use with Aux2Batt builds). It could replace your clicky Polaric Chromoelectric Modulator console as the mission console is always on and would be doing more for you, all the time.
  • Options
    westmetals and protoneous, thank you for all of your help. I decided to make a build based on your last two suggestions - weapons and devices mostly unchanged:

Aegis set equipped for visuals.

For deflector: Elite Fleet Intervention Protomatter Deflector Array Mk XII [ColCrit] [CtrlX]x2 [EPG]
    Impulse engine: Bajor Defense Hyper-Impulse Engines Mk XII [Full]x2 [Spd]
    Warp engine: Elite Fleet Plasma-Integrated Warp Core Mk XII [AMP] [Eff] [SSR] [W->E] [WCap]
    Shields: Bajor Defense Covariant Shield Array Mk XII [Cap]x3

Engineering consoles:
    Polaric Chromoelectric Modulator
    Voth Power Subcore
    Prolonged Engagement Power Dynamo
    Hydrodynamics Compensator Mk XII
    Quantum Phase Converter Mk XII

Science:
    Plasma-Generating Weapon Signature Nullifier Mk XIII [DrainX]
    Ordnance Accelerator Mk XII

Tactical:
    Counter-Command Multi-Conduit Energy Relay Mk XII
    Vulnerability Exploiter Mk XII [Phaser]
    Auto Targeting Module Mk XII [Phaser]]
    Vulnerability Locator Mk XII [Beams]

Good news is this build worked pretty well against the Tholians (at least those in the Sunrise mission), bad news is because I bought the deflector and warp and phaser exploiter, I don't have enough fleet credit to buy anything more for now. I'm pretty satisfied but this is a work in progress... and I haven't even unlocked any starship mastery traits yet.

Two final questions: should I equip Prolonged Engagement Phaser Beam Array Mk XII or Quantum Phase Beam Array Mk XII [CrtD] [CrtH] [Proc]? I have both consoles.

Advanced Inhibiting Phaser Omni-Directional Beam Array Mk XIII [Acc] [Arc] [Dmg] or [Trilithium-Enhanced Omni-Directional Phaser Beam Array Mk XII [Acc] [Arc] [Dmg]? I only have the Ordnance Accelerator.
  • Options
    Two final questions: should I equip Prolonged Engagement Phaser Beam Array Mk XII or Quantum Phase Beam Array Mk XII. I have both consoles.

Per @westmetals if you have room for both feel free to use both. If not, the prolonged array is probably the more offensive orientated choice.
    Advanced Inhibiting Phaser Omni-Directional Beam Array Mk XIII or [Trilithium-Enhanced Omni-Directional Phaser Beam Array Mk XII ? I only have the Ordnance Accelerator.

Looking at the set bonuses I'm not sure if there's a clear choice. Mine leans towards the inhibiting as I'm using the starship trait Emergency Weapon Cycle for weapons haste and I enjoy a higher turn rate. The -DRR from the Inhibiting Omni looks interesting. They're both good.

Trilithium Laced Weaponry - Set 2: Speed Tweaks: +5% Firing Cycle Haste for Energy Weapons +15 Flight Speed

Task Force Ordnances - Set 2: Task Force Tunings +10% Phaser Energy Weapon Damage +10% Flight Turn Rate

Advanced Inhibiting Phaser Omni-Directional Beam Array - When shooting foes slower than you: * -10 All Damage Resistance Rating for 5 sec

I'd agree that the Plasma-Generating Weapon Signature Nullifier is probably next up for replacement when looking for things to improve upon as well as your ship's clickie console the Polaric Chromoelectric modulator.

Also keep in mind that the Prolonged Engagement Power Dynamo takes 50 seconds of combat to reach it's power bonus potential so if you find yourself often in prolonged combat it's a keeper for now but improved choices might be available in the future.

Another 'always on' console that can work well to fill a slot is the assimilated module but as a mission reward the Temporal Disentanglement Suite is a great choice also. These consoles are always working for you.

Speaking of power the ship power preset should be set to 'attack' (maximum power to weapons) and try to use the highest rank of emergency power to weapons possible (usually rank 3 LtC if available).

Also Vulnerability Locators (+CrtH) are almost always a better choice than Vulnerability Exploiters (+CrtD).

It's very cool that you have a reliable mission ready ship built in such short order.