test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cannon/Non-Cannon Ships part 2

seamusx447seamusx447 Member Posts: 63 Arc User
I made a similar post a while ago, so for those who get confused easily, NOT CANON! What I mean by this is basically cannon vs beam loadouts, as well beams on a Defiant Class, cannons on Miranda and so forth.
=/\=
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    The really rough cliff notes are that cannons have more damage per hit and have narrower firing arcs, however beams are wider firing arcs so it depends on what is your playstyle. Though cannons on a slow turn rate ships isn't that good as you'll have issues keeping enemies in your firing arc.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Beams and Cannons are both plenty effective for PVE and you can honestly play what you like.

As Spiritborn said above, Cannons will give you more damage output but they will also require more piloting skill to use effectively. Using Cannons, especially on larger ships takes some practice along with careful use of gear and traits that make things easier.

Torp and Science Builds done correctly however, currently put them both to shame and I wouldn't recommend either on the Defiant. Just build what you like and don't worry about being 'right,' you can handle any content with either build.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    There are entire forums dedicated to the "science of Star Trek" and some that debate the strength of weapons based on the firepower displayed in the movies and TV series. Since this is fiction, I just go with the flow, unless I find it insulting my common sense. You know the movies where you hear car tires burn out on a dirt road, planes without gasoline in the tanks crash and explode in a fireball, and other such nonsense.

The only difference between a particle beam weapon and a cannon is time versus energy. Beam weapons fire at or near the speed of light. The object being targeted should not be able to dodge it. Canons, missiles, and torpedoes all take time to reach their target... unless you are Professor Soran and can fire your missile obviously faster than the speed of light into the sun. These slower objects can be dodged and I would expect counter measures (chaff) is going to make tracking hopeless. The movies (take your pick) show the torpedo moving through the vacuum of space slower than I would expect. The battle between Kahn and Kirk in the nebula has them fighting only a few thousand kilometers of each other. Yet we know objects outside the massive pull of gravity can get 25,000 km per hour without issue. This would mean any object fired at another object would act like a beam weapon at such near distance.

I will now return you to the wonderful world of fiction, try not to think too much about the science, just enjoy the show.
  • Options
    warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    weapon loadouts should be canon. save for defiant, starfleet vessels didn't have cannons, the had PHASer banks, with 2 emitters each. same for klingon ships, it was the reverse, cannons, save for certain stng ships which may have had both
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    weapon loadouts should be canon

Weapon loadouts should be whatever the player flying the ship finds most enjoyable.

We can advise people based on what they ask for, but no one has a right to tell anyone else what they should be using.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Weapon loadouts should be whatever the player flying the ship finds most enjoyable.

We can advise people based on what they ask for, but no one has a right to tell anyone else what they should be using.

especially since apart from few exceptions the difference in canon wasn't as strict as in STO and the same emitter could fire beams, bolts or something between even within the same episode some times.

We know for a fact that phaser cannon technology exists as it was used in the Defiant-class and Peragrine fighters (there along with beam tech so it is clear those are not mutually exclusive either).

Honestly due to the vast amount of ships we've never seen fire on screen (which includes the California-class IIRC) it's safe to say that as far as weapon loadouts go canon says "I dunno".

Also those dual banks are exclusive to ENT/DSC/TOS-era, TNG and onward they used strips and even then they had single mounts as well.
    Post edited by spiritborn on
  • Options
    I don't like how Beam Banks in STO all face forward. Canon ships would have one in each direction, giving 360 degree coverage. Just saying.
    =/\=
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    > @seamusx447 said:
    > I don't like how Beam Banks in STO all face forward. Canon ships would have one in each direction, giving 360 degree coverage. Just saying.

Give beam arrays a chance then. They cover 250 degree, Omni even 360.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    Broadsiding is also better at dealing with small fast enemies as those tend to not stay within the firing arcs of cannons, while with fulls beams you tend to have at least 4 weapons pointed at any given direction with 4/4 ships.
  • Options
    If you're playing a build using single beams, you should try your best to always be 'broadsiding' as it gives you the highest damage (more weapons on target at once.) If you like just being able to fly past something and watch it explode, Broadside Beam Builds are for you. Very easy to play, very effective, very rewarding. They don't kill as fast as a front facing build with Cannons and Turrets, but they're easy to play while still being very effective.

Honestly, Front Facing beam builds using Dual Beam Banks have little use outside of maybe a specialized overload build. For must users in most cases, Dual Beam Banks should be avoided. It's not that they don't work, it's just that if you're going to limit yourself to front facing, you will get far better results with Cannons and if you like Beams, you usually get better results broadsiding single beams in a FAW setup. DBB's aren't in the best place in this game.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Unless it's a 4/2 or 5/2 ship, where you can combine your dual beams with two omni beams in the rear.

In either situation, from a damage perspective Cannons are superior. DBB's aren't 'bad' per say, their big challenge is that they require the same trade off as Dual Cannons while doing less damage. Outside of personal preference or if you are specifically doing an Overload build there is just no reason to use them. The ship layout doesn't matter, 1/1 DBB's are inferior to the Cannons you would put in that same slot.

Before I get yelled at by the usual forumites, I am not calling anyone using DBB's 'bad' or saying they are 'wrong' to use. I am just explaining that given a choice and being that both have the same trade offs with less upside, most will pick the Cannons. I have a character that runs DBB's just because it was what I wanted to do. It works just fine, just not as good as if I swapped the DBB's for Cannons.
    Broadsiding has its own shortcomings -- because you are constantly on the move, orbiting around your target, your damage is shifting from one shield facing to another as well. But most enemy ships are going to redirect their shield power towards your direction regardless, or your damage goes right through the shields, making them moot.

Um.. ok. I can't think of anything with Broadsiding that requires you to stay on the move, I prefer to play it that way, but you can certainly charge in, stop and blast if that's what you're into. Just move out when it gets too hot. I have never seen the enemy AI use re-direct shields, but either way, they blow up too quickly for that to even matter.
  • Options
    reyan01 wrote: »

This.

Slightly off-topic I guess, but I do tend to follow canon where weapons are concerned. As daft as it may sound to some, there are some ships I just cannot bring myself use particular weapon-types on. For example, I would never put beams on a Defiant class and I could never bring myself to use cannons on my Miracle Worker Flight Deck Carrier (aka Discovery Constitution).

I use Beams on my Discovery Connie for the exact same reason.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Today’s build options grew so diverse as far as their performance are concerned that there is nothing niche about canon builds anymore.

A phaser cannon defiant and a phaser beam discoprise are probably even the strongest options one can follow on those ships.

Even the occasional torp on a canon ship is hardly a performance hurter nowadays thanks to the respective traits and sets we have available.

Cryptic did a sound job there.
    animated.gif
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Use what you want. I have cannon ships, torp ship, beam ships, DBB ships, mixed cannon/beam ships, and all of them are perfectly viable. Some do much better than otherwise because of specific traits, but right now, there's definitely a way to make your loadout work well.

Anyone trying to do a particular weapon loadout for whatever reason and wanting to make it as effective as possible should go over to the Shipyard forum and ask for more help there. While there is general wisdom that says use only beams or only cannons, that is because it is simple to do and very hard to get wrong for people who don't understand the intricacies of the game well.
  • Options
    ucgsquawk#5883 ucgsquawk Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    If you're thinking of cannons, I suggest going canon with cannons and sticking with Fed non canon canon or the Klingon canon cannon.

Don't get me wrong, some Feds are canon cannons and some Klingons are non canon cannon so you can mix it up.

Either way. I personally enjoy DBBs because of the extra angle to fire with them and going BO. On the right ships it's awesome (ie ships like the Husnock etc.)
  • Options
    > @peterconnorfirst said:
    > > @seamusx447 said:
    > > I don't like how Beam Banks in STO all face forward. Canon ships would have one in each direction, giving 360 degree coverage. Just saying.
    >
    >
    > Give beam arrays a chance then. They cover 250 degree, Omni even 360.

I am very accustomed to BeamArrays, & Omnis are my favorite beam weapon. I typically use 2 Beam Arrays & 2 torpedos fore, & aft when applicable. I was just putting it out there that they are far from canonical. I'd have 4 Omnis & 3-4 torpedos if I could get more decent Omnis (anyone know of any specific mission that drops them? Thanks in advance).
    Lastly, for the record, (& probably should have posted this in the original) this discussion is for me & others to see what is out there. As much as I appreciate the support, please refrain from the "you are free to use what you want" stuff. Each individual poster is allowed to be as selfish as they want with their own ideas/preferences. I play on Xbox & PC, & have anywhere between 5-12 captains on each, deleted 7 or 8 captains before getting my first T5-U because I couldn't advanced through the missions, & I have created others that I use solely to replay the tutorials & then delete.
    =/\=
  • Options
    > @corinthalas said:
    > Broadsiding has its own shortcomings -- because you are constantly on the move, orbiting around your target, your damage is shifting from one shield facing to another as well. But most enemy ships are going to redirect their shield power towards your direction regardless, or your damage goes right through the shields, making them moot.

This is the one reason I hate broadsiding. To maintain it, you must be constantly circling with your target. Which is pointless if they are faster than you.
    =/\=
  • Options

This.

Slightly off-topic I guess, but I do tend to follow canon where weapons are concerned. As daft as it may sound to some, there are some ships I just cannot bring myself use particular weapon-types on. For example, I would never put beams on a Defiant class and I could never bring myself to use cannons on my Miracle Worker Flight Deck Carrier (aka Discovery Constitution).

though beams on a Defiant is canon (it's been shown to have single beam at the center structure) it is more famous for using cannons.

Now I got nothing against people wanting to use canon builds if that's what they want to do, but insisting that everyone does so is a whole another deal though.
  • Options
    spiritborn wrote: »

This.

though beams on a Defiant is canon (it's been shown to have single beam at the center structure) it is more famous for using cannons.

Now I got nothing against people wanting to use canon builds if that's what they want to do, but insisting that everyone does so is a whole another deal though.

Yeah, I recall - it used said beam array against the USS Lakota in 'Paradise Lost'.

However, it was a very rarely seen, very rarely used weapon by all accounts and its fair to say that the phaser cannons were the primary weapons.

And I certainly didn't insist anything of the sort.

Yeah I was referring to warmonger's comment with that line.

As for the Defiant's beam array yeah I'm guessing it was secondary weapon meant mostly against shuttles, fighters or similar small and fast targets the Defiant wouldn't reliably engage with its main battery, which would explain why it was used so rarely as the Defiant class tended to engage ships bigger then itself or at smallest in the same size range as the Defiant class.
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    If you're playing a build using single beams, you should try your best to always be 'broadsiding' as it gives you the highest damage (more weapons on target at once.) If you like just being able to fly past something and watch it explode, Broadside Beam Builds are for you. Very easy to play, very effective, very rewarding. They don't kill as fast as a front facing build with Cannons and Turrets, but they're easy to play while still being very effective.

Honestly, Front Facing beam builds using Dual Beam Banks have little use outside of maybe a specialized overload build. For must users in most cases, Dual Beam Banks should be avoided. It's not that they don't work, it's just that if you're going to limit yourself to front facing, you will get far better results with Cannons and if you like Beams, you usually get better results broadsiding single beams in a FAW setup. DBB's aren't in the best place in this game.

broadsiding is the easy way to have an effective build (and not really expensive), but this way of playing can become boring very quickly. Cannon builds are more funny, but like you said, it needs good piloting skills.

Currently, I have more fun with sci builds, this is why I change some of my tac-captains into sci-captains. But a science build is very very expensive.
  • Options
    > @sennahcherib said:
    > broadsiding is the easy way to have an effective build (and not really expensive), but this way of playing can become boring very quickly. Cannon builds are more funny, but like you said, it needs good piloting skills.
    >
    > Currently, I have more fun with sci builds, this is why I change some of my tac-captains into sci-captains. But a science build is very very expensive.

I rarely use Tac as Eng & Sci ground builds are way better imo. Everything I need Tac-wise I get from my Boffs, even if I have to purchase/research the manuals.
    =/\=
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    seamusx447 wrote: »
    > @peterconnorfirst said:
    > > @seamusx447 said:
    > > I don't like how Beam Banks in STO all face forward. Canon ships would have one in each direction, giving 360 degree coverage. Just saying.
    >
    >
    > Give beam arrays a chance then. They cover 250 degree, Omni even 360.

I am very accustomed to BeamArrays, & Omnis are my favorite beam weapon. I typically use 2 Beam Arrays & 2 torpedos fore, & aft when applicable. I was just putting it out there that they are far from canonical. I'd have 4 Omnis & 3-4 torpedos if I could get more decent Omnis (anyone know of any specific mission that drops them? Thanks in advance).
    Lastly, for the record, (& probably should have posted this in the original) this discussion is for me & others to see what is out there. As much as I appreciate the support, please refrain from the "you are free to use what you want" stuff. Each individual poster is allowed to be as selfish as they want with their own ideas/preferences. I play on Xbox & PC, & have anywhere between 5-12 captains on each, deleted 7 or 8 captains before getting my first T5-U because I couldn't advanced through the missions, & I have created others that I use solely to replay the tutorials & then delete.

I say use what you want because everything works. Some may take more effort or particular traits to make them work very well, of course. If you want to use some particular build but struggle with making it work, again, people can help with the build over in the Shipyard forum.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    > @sennahcherib said:
    > But a science build is very very expensive.

I think many percept it that way because one kind of starts from scratch when moving from an DEW build to EPG. Not much one can re-use.

Aside from that EPG is not more less expensive than anything else in game. If one has access to past event stuff I’d even consider it cheaper or less of an effort thingy to make a budget EPG build that works great. There are only few things that cost a lot but they are by no means required to get your build to highly impactful levels. I got 3 EPG toons by now, not all of them cost the world. :)
    animated.gif
This discussion has been closed.