test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Vanity Shields for Dilithium!

2»

Comments

• crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    Wouldn't the 25% c-store sale contradict the purpose of the shield sale?

Hmmm
    CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    crm14916 wrote: »
    Wouldn't the 25% c-store sale contradict the purpose of the shield sale?

Hmmm
    CM

It sure won't help the DilEx go below 490 any time soon.

Cryptic - "Hey players, we hear you and we're working on ways to lower the DilEx."

Players - "Yay, about time!"

Cryptic - "Here's some vanity shields you can buy for Dil for a few days."

Players - "Umm, okay. Cool I guess. But what about long term ways to help out?"

Cryptic - "Here's a sale in the ZEN store, 25% off EVERYTHING!"

Players - "..."
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    Hmm, it seems there is something else that makes those vanity shields more valuable than those on the exchange or the weapon packs.

No, I won't tell here what, but I suggest you folks take a closer look at the description and draw their conclusions.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
    I'm so lost, @saurializard ... You surely can't be talking about the Phoenix event?
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    The shields are bound to account, though I truly do not understand why all the secrecy. It's not like it hasn't been said pretty much everywhere by now.
    Also, Kael twitted to confirm that yes, they're meant to be:

kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    To be clear, when I say this idea is good.. I mean just for getting Zen available in the Dilithium Exchange.

I honestly believe the exchange rate is permanently and irrevocably destroyed beyond any hope of repair. I don't see any realistic way we will ever see an exchange rate below the 495-500:1 range. That would require a commitment that I don't see Cryptic making, one that would start with putting an end to trying to get players to impulse buy these constant 'limited time promotions.'

This idea was a success for re-enabling the Dilithium exchange. Anything beyond that is too much to hope for at this point.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    edited July 2021
    The shields are bound to account, though I truly do not understand why all the secrecy. It's not like it hasn't been said pretty much everywhere by now.

Well, it's not like Cryptic has never offered something good by accident, only to make it worse afterwards after people bought and mentioned it.

Especially since the news blog still says it's a "per character purchase" and while it's technically correct it doesn't automatically unlock for the whole account by itself, it's still "account-bound" so that means you are not required to buy the same shield on all characters because it's "per character".
    #TASforSTO
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    I think this is awesome by Cryptic. Now I have to go through all my toons & scrounge-up enough dilithium to buy the shields, dang I hope I have enough.
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User

Well, it's not like Cryptic has never offered something good by accident, only to make it worse afterwards after people bought and mentioned it.

Especially since the news blog still says it's a "per character purchase" and while it's technically correct it doesn't automatically unlock for the whole account by itself, it's still "account-bound" so that means you are not required to buy the same shield on all characters because it's "per character".

I'm not disputing that. Rather, I'm disputing the need for secrecy when the news was already circulating - on these very forums, too, in two different threads.

Still, confirmation is nice and I hope they did it on purpose instead of it being a mistake that they're trying to pass as "working as intended" - though if it was, I'm glad they decided to NOT TRIBBLE people off by making them character bound anyway.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
    I went ahead and picked up the Ba'ul and Tzenkethi ones just for the heck of it ..

They do say "bound to account" but I am nervous about putting them on a character and having them become "bounty to character"...

CM
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    Just sit back and wait to see what happens but odds are if business doesn't pick up and something doesn't change we will see an announcement for a new Star Trek mmorpg. That is if its not already happening with all the rebranding of CBS/Paramount and whatever plan they have for the future. However these prices may be because of that if PWE, Cryptic, or both are happening to leave the franchise as mmorpg developers. Have to make content from the new series coming out to keep that license and you have to make money to stay in business to make said content so we will just see what happens lol.
    What I hope is this will become the standard for non-current vanity shields as one of their biggest problems is their "hit and miss"ness as it can look great on one ship, but then, you change ship and suddenly, it looks awful and thus, you're stuck with it on this character.

Having them account-bound allows you to experiment with all your toons, present or future so you haven't wasted 150-200M EC for nothing.
    #TASforSTO
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    reyan01 wrote: »
    What I hope is this will become the standard for non-current vanity shields as one of their biggest problems is their "hit and miss"ness as it can look great on one ship, but then, you change ship and suddenly, it looks awful and thus, you're stuck with it on this character.

Having them account-bound allows you to experiment with all your toons, present or future so you haven't wasted 150-200M EC for nothing.

Completely agree - as said in another thread, the fact that they are currently account unlocked meant that I was able to try one (the Ba'ul) on my Nova class. It looked awful on that ship, so was able to unequip it and drop it into my account bank to transfer to my Romulan char.

That's exactly my plan once I finish moving my dilithium around lol I don't have enough on 1, 2, or 3+ toons to buy all the vanity shields in 1 swoop then move the shields from too to toon & try the shields out on the toon's primary & secondary ships & move along taking notes. It's SO nice Cryptic did it this way imo. Is this what "space barbie" always feels like? lol
  • necriemoonnecriemoon Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    From Vanity Shields for Dilithium
    - and during the time these shields are available, everything in the Dilithium Store will be 20% off! Grab the following vanity shields from July 1st at 8am PT (17:00 CEST) until July 8th at 10am PT (19:00 CEST):
    I'm a bit confused, because everything in the store seems to be 15% off, not 20% off. Am I missing something?
  • denerandeneran Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Hi there are the vanity shields available for PS4 players too
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,788 Arc User
    necriemoon wrote: »
    - and during the time these shields are available, everything in the Dilithium Store will be 20% off! Grab the following vanity shields from July 1st at 8am PT (17:00 CEST) until July 8th at 10am PT (19:00 CEST):
    I'm a bit confused, because everything in the store seems to be 15% off, not 20% off. Am I missing something?

Cryptic/PWE fails at math(s) and communication skills, especially when that skill is proof reading.
  • davideightdavideight Member Posts: 457 Arc User
    Having a preview function would have quadroupled the sales i guess ...
    edited July 2021
    jcsww wrote: »

Cryptic/PWE fails at math(s) and communication skills, especially when that skill is proof reading.
    "15%... 20%, meh, what kind of cheapskates complains about a tiny amount of percent when giving money away?"
    *Multi-billion companies lobbying hard not to officially pay +1% of tax when they pay 0% already while guilt-tripping consumers when they complain about overpriced stuff* "Yeah, for real."
    #TASforSTO
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    The 15% off you're seeing *might* be tied to your fleet discount from the Dilithium Mine. I would think the 20% off sale would be in addition to that but who knows.

So it's entirely possible Cryptic either forgot to enable the 20% off sale or there might be a bug while in a fleet that has the Dil Mine discount. Either is entirely possible. I mean, we didn't get a Universal Endeavor for the weekend so...?
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,788 Arc User

"15%... 20%, meh, what kind of cheapskates complains about a tiny amount of percent when giving money away?"
    *Multi-billion companies lobbying hard not to officially pay +1% of tax when they pay 0% already while guilt-tripping consumers when they complain about overpriced stuff* "Yeah, for real."

I am not complaining about the price. I am complaining about the pathetic job that PWE/Cryptic does at getting their facts correct!

I am not complaining about the price. I am complaining about the pathetic job that PWE/Cryptic does at getting their facts correct!
    Oh, I definitely know and I agree. I'm just imagining they'd go "woopsie sorry" as in "it's not that big of a deal" all while CEO of big corps go out of their way to make a big deal when 1% of something bothers them.
    #TASforSTO
  • dragonhef01dragonhef01 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    jaturnley wrote: »
    Kelvin DBBs, Omnis and cannons would probably sell, too. Heck, they could move a lot of the lockbox weapons in there.

As well as some weaps reclaims on alts(ex: Tholian and Voth torps).

• dragonhef01dragonhef01 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    Its confirmed: I've moved several of them around to different toons after using them when tool tip still said "bound to account ".
    Post edited by dragonhef01 on
This discussion has been closed.