test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO Time-Saver (and wrist/finger-saver) suggestions.

wraithmeisterwraithmeister Member Posts: 395 Arc User
There are some things in STO that take more time than they should which could use a shortcut (one is already implemented on console):

1. Auto-loot nearby drops in space. On console, this occurs automatically, when your ship flies near a loot drop it picks it up. But on PC I have to spam the F key all the time to get loot (and hope that it doesnt accidentally trigger zone exit when the loot and mission prompts are both coming up. A key example of a place this would help is the Ninth Rule patrol. All those ships spawn in small area and grav wells keep them bunched up. At end of mission there are 30-40 drops that need to be picked up and the list of "hit F to loot" popup dialog lines literally spans from top to bottom of screen and takes a while to pick them all up...better if I could fly through and have them auto-looted in a few seconds.

2. Filling 10x reputation daily tasks (or however many reps their are), every day for 40 days on new character. When start a new char (such as Klingon Recruit) I do all the reps as soon as hit lvl 51. Going down the list of all those reps to add new daily task to each one, every day is tedious and just adds the to repetitive stress my wrists/fingers already suffer from a lifetime of gaming. Why not add a "Fill all Daily Tasks" button. One click and your done...assuming you have 30 marks per rep...button should start daily for each rep and try to fill each one. Please try to implement this before I start my next char later this summer when Cryptic starts "Year of the Tribble" and lets us finally have playable Tribble characters.

3. I'm sure there are more people can add to list
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    tagentagen Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    Agreed on the auto-loot! I'd like to see that as an available option for space and ground. Spamming F is bad enough, but add in the times when there might be multiple other interactions available and you can't even do that anymore.

For the "Fill All Daily Tasks", I probably would never use it myself, but as long as it isn't something intrusive on the UI or easy to click accidentally, I would not mind it added for other people. I don't know how easy a thing it would be to code, though. STO seems particularly vulnerable to unintended chaos resulting from changes. :)

My addition would be:
    Give me a way to momentarily get my mouse back while in "shooter" mode on the ground. Right now I either need to toggle in and out of the whole mode or open a window to get the mouse. This is mostly an issue when I need to click a button on screen to continue to the next dialogue box, or when there are multiple things to interact with in and area so just hitting F does not necessarily get the one I want.
    (Again, not sure how something like this would be implemented. It has just been on my wishlist for a while.)
  • Options
    OH OH! You said mouse and that reminded me of something!!!

I'm not one of those players in space combat that has 20 try icons tied in to spacebar/fire button...I use mouse to click on specific powers when I want/need them other than '3' to fire my favorite torpedo.

However, in the heat of battle with explosions, laser beams, massive anomolies, etc, the screen is very busy and sometimes I cannot find my mouse...I move it all over the screen and eventually can see the mouse cursor. I would like to have a bigger mouse cursor, possibly with an optional trail to make it easier to find in combat. It's only a "time-server" in the sense that it would save me the time lost trying to find my mouse cursor in combat, but it would be nice to have.
  • Options
    4. Biggest time-saver need of all: Search bazaar DOFFs for specific traits (telekinetic, shroud, etc). I mean, how tedious is it when you want to find a TK doff to use for DOFF missions. You have to go through each DOFF class/subclass in exchange one at a time, and there are like 30...and then for each one, you cannot search, you have to scroll through page by page looking for that tiny icon that indicates TK ability.

There are a few STO wiki pages that list some purple TK & shroud doffs, but those generally are sold out or have high price (many millions EC). It would be SO SO SO SO SO SO SO much easier if we could search exchange based on doff traits, the way we can search/filter our character's doff roster by trait.
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,990 Arc User
    I would like to have a bigger mouse cursor
    ESC > Options > Basic > Cursor (choose standard or large cursor)
    Give me a way to momentarily get my mouse back while in "shooter" mode on the ground.
    Have you tried the B key?
  • Options
    tagentagen Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    protoneous wrote: »
    Give me a way to momentarily get my mouse back while in "shooter" mode on the ground.

I have. That is the "toggle in and out of the whole mode" part. Possible, but can be awkward if I just need to quickly click a box on the screen.

Some games solve this by having a key you can set just for giving momentary cursor control. My favorite is in Dungeons & Dragons Online where holding the right mouse button down will give the cursor. I just hold that, move, click, release, done. Obviously that wouldn't be the answer here since right mouse maps to a skill while in shooter mode, but you get the idea.
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,990 Arc User
    tagen wrote: »
    protoneous wrote: »

I have. That is the "toggle in and out of the whole mode" part. Possible, but can be awkward if I just need to quickly click a box on the screen.

Some games solve this by having a key you can set just for giving momentary cursor control. My favorite is in Dungeons & Dragons Online where holding the right mouse button down will give the cursor. I just hold that, move, click, release, done. Obviously that wouldn't be the answer here since right mouse maps to a skill while in shooter mode, but you get the idea.
    ESC > Option > Key Binds (while on ground) > use drop down at top labelled 'key bind set' > select 'shooter key binds' > scroll to 'toggle shooter mode' and click on the default B > select special keys > choose your custom mouse button or action.

I use my thumb on the two side mouse buttons on my Razer Deathadder for a lot of things (hypos, select abilities, and defiance on ground and firing torpedo and spike heals in space) and they're labelled mouse button 4 and 5 respectively.

I'm mainly an RPG player on ground but STO has a lot of flexibility built in to customize your preferred method of game play to work how you want to it from basic things like this to using your thumbwheel to control your throttle in space as well as single key tray executes for common rotations whether space or ground.

There are some other actions available in the key bind tab (some that mention the cursor), so I wouldn't be surprised if you could come up with a system that works just about the same as D&D with a little experimentation.
This discussion has been closed.