I'm getting spanked in space. Can you help?
Info for newcomers to STO is surprisingly hard to come by, but the Guide to Shuttles
is more newbie-friendly than the end-game builds at DPS League. There's also good suggestions at the the 44th Fleet
, though many are for level 50+.
Suffer less in space battles to 50+ (PvE, mostly solo, some TFs). Right now, I'm more Daffy Duck than Bugs Bunny.Beginner Build Questions
Here's what I'm flying now. Lt Commander, levl 18, Federation, Science.
- If I'm using mostly beams, do I still want one cannon at this stage? Is one enough?
- Should I be using Consumables in most fights? Which are most helpful?
- What officer traits are most helpful? They seem to make a big difference.
- What destroys enemy torpedoes? Even when I target them early, I have a hard time eliminating them before they hit.
- Should I run with a shield arrangement other than Balanced?
- To fill the 2nd Science Slot, do I have to Retire my 2nd Tac Officer?
- Where do Slotted Abilities come from for space battles (like Evasive Maneuvers, Sensor Scan, Brace for Impact)?
- Does my officer race matter at this stage? I can see for endgame that a 2% damage bonus can help, but for now, can I keep my current crew?
Level 10 Science Vessel (Tier 2? I'm new, and it'll be awhile before I can buy major upgrades). I know I don't have to match my class, but I read that Science Vessels have a fair balance of maneuverability and survivability. Is that right?
Fore Weapons: Harg'peng Torpedo Launcher Mk IV, Plasma Beam Array Mk IV
Shields: Resilient Mk IV
Aft Weapons: Phaser Beam Array Mk IV x 2. I tried slotting Mines there, but struggled to make it work well.Officer Abilities
Torpedo High Yield I (Evelyn Savea, from the tutorial, Tac officer)
Engineering Team I (+HP)
Science Team I (+Shields) and Jam Targeting Sensors II
The last slot is empty. I have a 2nd Tac Officer and can't put her in the Ensign Science Slot. Should I replace her with another Scientist, or can I add a 5th officer and rotate between them? If I have to remove the 2nd Tac Officer, is Retiring her the only option?Slotted Abilities
Brace for ImpactTactics
Fly around, click stuff.
No, really: I try to keep a side with decent shields facing my enemy, and I use beams until I get a notice that enemy shields are down, then launch the Torpedo.
Engineering Team I, Science Team I, and Jam Targeting Sensors are invaluable. Most of my flights are long slogs, and I need the +Regen from these and Brace for Impact. I do use Brace Impact before a Torpedo strike if available, and Evasive Maneuvers when tractor-beamed. I'm not sure how much Sensor Analysis helps or if it has a limited range.
What else should I be doing, wise warriors of the galaxy?