test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gender change tokens

is there any way we can change character genders in future?

can we get a neutral / non binary gender? physiologically there are ST races that have non binary genders.

Comments

• Options
    garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    +1
    Not just because ST has races that do not follow binary genders (I don't think any of them are playable), but also because it is 2020 and there are so many non-binary individuals that play video games but have very little representation in the characters and character options.
  • Options
    qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    I think you are wrong cold... this is apparently something they are “working on” but is “difficult”

Quote:

Gender change from Champions Online is technologically difficult to implement in STO, it won't come earlier then next anniversary even at most optimistic.

Source:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/iuadqt/ten_forward_weekly_17092020_house_divided_on_ps4/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    Well they've said outright that there's nothing in the game that can never no matter what changed, however they stated that it's a matter of work needed compared to the returns they'd get from it.

So it's likely that we won't get a gender swap option similar to WoW (where you can go to a "barbershop" and change gender) anytime soon. Honestly I wouldn't see it 100% certain thing that we'll get a gender swap option at all, sure it would be nice if got one but we also shouldn't consider it a certain thing either. After all "difficult" could end up being "not worth the cost".

Also I'd think it would be highly unlikely that we got more then 2 gender options in the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    If you want to play male, make a male character, if you want to play female make a female character.

Cryptic are not going to waste time, money and resources on something only a minority of people would buy, they would loose profit.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Think about it as options for sex, as it ought to be one or the other. The abstract concept of gender, especially one bound to sex, shouldn't be an issue in the future.

The few asexual species we have in Trek (or biologically very different ones) aren't playable with the exception of the Jem'Hadar methinks. Those aren't supposed to have sex or gender but are male in the game. Cryptic probably can't change the text strimg in the sex options for one 'race' but not the others.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    (flame/troll/derailing post removed) - darkbladejk
    Post edited by darkbladejk on