test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

i want to effectively use missiles

captainhaseocaptainhaseo Member Posts: 52 Arc User
is it possible to effectively use the 2 types of missile launchers in game with lorca tac console that does 120% shield pen, and using it on the Mercury class along with the microbarrage console, im not looking for high DPS just a effective or semi effective missile/phaser hit and run boat.

Comments

• foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Define effective. There is nothing stopping you from using them right now, so its hard to know what more you want out of them.

As to hit and run, missiles are awful for that. They are a constant pressure weapon because their recharge is extremely fast and have fairly low damage.

If you just want them to be more effective then you want to look at stuff like the trait ceaseless momentum, and upping projectile damage in general for which there are a number of consoles that can do that. You might also want to consider the personal space trait intimidating strikes, which is going to work best with the missile launchers.
  • captainhaseocaptainhaseo Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    Define effective. There is nothing stopping you from using them right now, so its hard to know what more you want out of them.

As to hit and run, missiles are awful for that. They are a constant pressure weapon because their recharge is extremely fast and have fairly low damage.

If you just want them to be more effective then you want to look at stuff like the trait ceaseless momentum, and upping projectile damage in general for which there are a number of consoles that can do that. You might also want to consider the personal space trait intimidating strikes, which is going to work best with the missile launchers.

ok tyvm looking up the trait now
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    As long as you're not trying to set DPS records.. sure.. it's totally viable. Game content on Normal or Advanced is very forgiving and you can feel free to play with builds like this without much worry.

If this is what you want to do, you should do it. :smile:
    Insert witty signature line here.
    As long as you're not trying to set DPS records.. sure.. it's totally viable. Game content on Normal or Advanced is very forgiving and you can feel free to play with builds like this without much worry.

If this is what you want to do, you should do it. :smile:

i was just hoping it wasent like taboo or anything lol
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    I'm pretty sure anything isn't really a taboo, somethings are quite ineffective but it doesn't mean you're not allowed to do that.
    You can do some fun things with fast recharging torps alongside a slow torp. I built a really mean assassin ship out of my Hathos by putting a Neutronic torp alongside a Kelvin photon, 3 torpedo doffs, and ceaseless momentum. The torpedoes are almost constantly firing, with the Kelvin triggering the doffs, lowering its CD to 0 if any of them fire, but also lowering the CD on the Neutronic quickly to refire it. By setting the Neutronic to fire first, it will fire whenever it is off CD while the Kelvin fires the rest of the time.

Missiles of course work just fine in place of the Kelvin photon in a setup like that, and you could use any other slow torp you wanted to in place of the neutronic, like the agony phaser torp or the Nausicaan disruptor torp. It requires 3 purple torp doffs, but if you don't want to/can't afford/can't find other DOFFs you like, it makes for a pretty cheap setup that dramatically improves your torpedo damage output.

If you wanted to just use missiles on their own, ceaseless momentum by itself should lower their CD to 1.5 or 1s depending on which launcher you're using. I believe the Kentari missiles are not unique so you can use 2 or 3 of them if you felt crazy. So hypothetically if you used 3 Kentari launchers with the Terran Rep console and ceaseless momentum, they would fire continuously every .5s with no need for DOFFs. The only issue I have with the Kentari in that scenario is a fair chunk of their DPS comes from their radiation DOT, and that probably doesn't stack from multiple launchers, so ideally you use the Lobi launcher as your primary launcher.

Of course doing multiple launchers like that, they could go on the rear of your ship. Slap them on the back, do an attack run then turn around before you overshoot to pew pew with your missiles until you want to turn around again. With a broadsiding cruiser they can also fire continuously wherever they are placed, along with your beams if you get the angle right since launchers have a 180 degree firing angle, but it must be said you'd probably do more damage with beams in place of the launchers.

So is it effective? That depends on how you define it, but those are a few ways to make their strengths work for you.
    so i got a build up ill be posting later i need help on while using the missiles.
    You can do some fun things with fast recharging torps alongside a slow torp. I built a really mean assassin ship out of my Hathos by putting a Neutronic torp alongside a Kelvin photon, 3 torpedo doffs, and ceaseless momentum. The torpedoes are almost constantly firing, with the Kelvin triggering the doffs, lowering its CD to 0 if any of them fire, but also lowering the CD on the Neutronic quickly to refire it. By setting the Neutronic to fire first, it will fire whenever it is off CD while the Kelvin fires the rest of the time.

Missiles of course work just fine in place of the Kelvin photon in a setup like that, and you could use any other slow torp you wanted to in place of the neutronic, like the agony phaser torp or the Nausicaan disruptor torp. It requires 3 purple torp doffs, but if you don't want to/can't afford/can't find other DOFFs you like, it makes for a pretty cheap setup that dramatically improves your torpedo damage output.

If you wanted to just use missiles on their own, ceaseless momentum by itself should lower their CD to 1.5 or 1s depending on which launcher you're using. I believe the Kentari missiles are not unique so you can use 2 or 3 of them if you felt crazy. So hypothetically if you used 3 Kentari launchers with the Terran Rep console and ceaseless momentum, they would fire continuously every .5s with no need for DOFFs. The only issue I have with the Kentari in that scenario is a fair chunk of their DPS comes from their radiation DOT, and that probably doesn't stack from multiple launchers, so ideally you use the Lobi launcher as your primary launcher.

Of course doing multiple launchers like that, they could go on the rear of your ship. Slap them on the back, do an attack run then turn around before you overshoot to pew pew with your missiles until you want to turn around again. With a broadsiding cruiser they can also fire continuously wherever they are placed, along with your beams if you get the angle right since launchers have a 180 degree firing angle, but it must be said you'd probably do more damage with beams in place of the launchers.

So is it effective? That depends on how you define it, but those are a few ways to make their strengths work for you.

6638b8da0d73f64af2bb1633e3669e64.png
    thats my fit atm
    Its really hard to know what I'm looking at there. I presume that ship isn't on the skill planner site, but it leaves me trying to guess at all the consoles and weapons. Some of them I do know, at least.

I assume those are Disco phaser beams of some kind? I don't know for sure. On that, though I see though is you're using the Terran Rep console but no torp and no beam array. The Terran Rep energy weapons are the best damage you can get for phaser/disruptor. Now it would interfere with the visuals and I can understand not wanting to do that, however adding in the beam would let you get the 2piece set bonus which improves projectile damage, and other than aesthetics there would be no downside to replacing one of your other beam arrays.

Of course the question is do you need the Terran Rep console? If you have ceaseless momentum, yeah its helpful. If you aren't using CM, though, then you don't need it at all.

You also have the option of using the disco rep wide dual beam bank array to get the 2 piece from that set with the console you are already using which is up to 25% crit severity. While using that effectively would make using that rear beam array impossible, you can get a second omni instead, which I'm pretty sure would be a set omni.

Thus you'd have two options, assuming phasers, either the Trilithium omni, or the Gamma rep omni. Both are good options in different ways, of course they won't have the aesthetics you might want. The Trilithium set bonus gives 5% firing haste with the console giving some hull strength, while the Gamma rep gives turn rate and more phaser damage, but the console also gives phaser and projectile damage.

And if you're replacing the Terran rep console, you can get the two piece bonus from the set console, whichever bonus you find better. You may be able to replace another console though, as I'm not sure what most of them are. But, unfortunately, most of those options do compromise the aesthetics of the pew pew.

Its really hard to know what I'm looking at there. I presume that ship isn't on the skill planner site, but it leaves me trying to guess at all the consoles and weapons. Some of them I do know, at least.

I assume those are Disco phaser beams of some kind? I don't know for sure. On that, though I see though is you're using the Terran Rep console but no torp and no beam array. The Terran Rep energy weapons are the best damage you can get for phaser/disruptor. Now it would interfere with the visuals and I can understand not wanting to do that, however adding in the beam would let you get the 2piece set bonus which improves projectile damage, and other than aesthetics there would be no downside to replacing one of your other beam arrays.

Of course the question is do you need the Terran Rep console? If you have ceaseless momentum, yeah its helpful. If you aren't using CM, though, then you don't need it at all.

You also have the option of using the disco rep wide dual beam bank array to get the 2 piece from that set with the console you are already using which is up to 25% crit severity. While using that effectively would make using that rear beam array impossible, you can get a second omni instead, which I'm pretty sure would be a set omni.

Thus you'd have two options, assuming phasers, either the Trilithium omni, or the Gamma rep omni. Both are good options in different ways, of course they won't have the aesthetics you might want. The Trilithium set bonus gives 5% firing haste with the console giving some hull strength, while the Gamma rep gives turn rate and more phaser damage, but the console also gives phaser and projectile damage.

And if you're replacing the Terran rep console, you can get the two piece bonus from the set console, whichever bonus you find better. You may be able to replace another console though, as I'm not sure what most of them are. But, unfortunately, most of those options do compromise the aesthetics of the pew pew.

ok ty for the insight and help ill play with it a bit