test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Subspace Party Amplifier is inappropriate

"The Subspace Party Amplifier is a social device which emits pleasing light spectrums accompanied by subspace oscillations which stimulate pleasure and motor centers in the brain of most sentient species, encouraging them to dance. This subtle suggestion is completely non-invasive and can easily be ignored or overridden by subjects that perform actions of their own volition." (emphasis mine)

I would like to make the suggestion that as implemented, this item is inappropriate. It forces you to dance, it doesn't encourage dancing. I feel my agency being removed from my play every time someone uses one near me. The game is not asking me to dance, it is forcing me to. Frankly I am surprised that this has lasted in this form for so long despite, I'm sure, numerous complaints about it. There should be no rational sentient who could think that being forced to do something against your will is in any way OK.

To be more in line with the description, there should be an interact to dance.

Comments

• genrldestructiongenrldestruction Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    I don't feel like that's enough. The nullifier shouldn't be necessary. Its a matter of principal. Inventory size limitations aside, we're still taking about an item that forces other characters to do something against their will. I have no problem with the lights showing up or characters having an option to dance.

Would you expect people at a bar to, for example, wear a giant neon sign that says "Leave me alone, I don't want to talk to you"? Because that's what the nullifier is. Something additional that you need to have on your person to ensure that people don't bother you when the norm should be leaving people alone.

The ideal situation is to give those characters that would potentially want to dance an interact. Those that are doing RP or just wanting their Vulcan to not automatically react emotionally shouldn't be forced into that animation.
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,998 Arc User
    Don't like it, either move away so you are in the catchment area you are not being forced to dance. Or as suggested purchase nullifiers. But they certainly are not inappropriate.
    Your post btw is more suited to feedback and bordering on a rage post.
    @darkbladejk
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,998 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    eazzie wrote: »
    Don't like it, either move away so you are in the catchment area you are not being forced to dance. Or as suggested purchase nullifiers. But they certainly are not inappropriate.
    Your post btw is more suited to feedback and bordering on a rage post.
    @darkbladejk

"an item that forces other characters to do something against their will" is not inappropriate? Really?

And BTW we are already in the feedback area.

I was thinking more mechanics. No you are not being forced you have the ability to move away. Don't like it move away simple
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,714 Community Moderator
    First up, this is covered under the FCT list that can be found here: https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1245086/the-f-c-t-frequently-created-threads-list-2-0

As such this thread will be closed by the time folks read this. Some folks like party balls, some don't. As is right now your options are to leave the area or pick up a Subspace Party Nullifier and keep that in your inventory if you do not wish to have your character do the dance animation.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.