test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

skills invalid

13»

Comments

• djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,379 Arc User
    How long do I have to fix this? Does anyone know? Because I have like 30 characters, and I don't get to play every day.
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    djf021 wrote: »
    How long do I have to fix this? Does anyone know? Because I have like 30 characters, and I don't get to play every day.
    There is no time limit on it.

Not technically time limit but:
    This is known, and we intended to list it in the patch notes.

Please accept the free respec by pressing the provided reset button. If you do not, your skill/trait/spec trees will be locked and stuck, preventing your character from functioning correctly in many regards, including (but not limited to):

Unlocking new Traits (of any kind - Personal, Starship, Reputation, etc.)

Changing Boff Specs

Purchasing new Spec Tree Talents

This respec is required due to a re-optimization that was performed to re-write some poorly optimized and error-prone code. There are no player-facing functionality changes.
    still not something to ignore for long.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    shadowkosh wrote: »
    Not happy about this have to respec 40 plus toons

djf021 wrote: »

These are examples, & any similar in amount, of what I would consider more hassle & duress caused by this.

My approach was 1st day I just went through & selected respec on all my toons except a couple I was going to play the next day or two. Then I've been going through my toon line-up doing a couple of Skill Tree finalizations (including all the traits that had to be redone) per day till I finished then cleaned-up with the 2 or 3 toons I had left for playing during all of this. A sort of assembly-line approach.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    The respec is annoy, but with one or two a day it is bearable. Just finish the chars you play often first and then move down the list. In 1-2 weeks i should have the lot done.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    I just went about doing 2 characters per day, easy going way
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    And "boom" goes the tour the galaxy special trait... :|

When I first noticed it yesterday I waved it off as some kind of hick-up. A soon to be fixed visual bug. I mean if it where anything important that could lead to like IDK to deleted characters i.e. it would surely be announced with red glowing attention marks in the launcher; would it? But no, not with Cryp "we don't give a f; just give us your ing money and shut up" tics upper management.

--
    late edit
    first time I have played STO windowed with paint an snipping tool for two hours... wohooo...

... so annoying. :s
    Post edited by theanothername on
  • fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    We have ship configuration which we can save and it would be nice if we could have something for a character. I like the talent tree in itself, but the mechanic is horrible and it shows now you have to do it for all your characters.
    My complaints are. If you allocate a point wrongly, you have start all over. Once you have allocated all the points, you have to go through another system. I am talking about the points below the tree itself, not space and ground. I am fine with separate trees for ground and space
    After reallocting points, your traits have also reset and you have to pick them too.
    Long story short, let us save a talent tree and let us reallocate by point, not just every point.
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    fovrel wrote: »
    We have ship configuration which we can save and it would be nice if we could have something for a character. I like the talent tree in itself, but the mechanic is horrible and it shows now you have to do it for all your characters.
    My complaints are. If you allocate a point wrongly, you have start all over. Once you have allocated all the points, you have to go through another system. I am talking about the points below the tree itself, not space and ground. I am fine with separate trees for ground and space
    After reallocting points, your traits have also reset and you have to pick them too.
    Long story short, let us save a talent tree and let us reallocate by point, not just every point.

This, PLEASE!
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    And "boom" goes the tour the galaxy special trait... :|

When I first noticed it yesterday I waved it off as some kind of hick-up. A soon to be fixed visual bug. I mean if it where anything important that could lead to like IDK to deleted characters i.e. it would surely be announced with red glowing attention marks in the launcher; would it? But no, not with Cryp "we don't give a f; just give us your ing money and shut up" tics upper management.

--
    late edit
    first time I have played STO windowed with paint an snipping tool for two hours... wohooo...

... so annoying. :s

Yeah, I feel your pain. It took me almost an hour to reset just my two most-played toons.
  • djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,379 Arc User
    Well, last night I went through and hit respec on 37 characters, and actually fixed two of them. It reset my traits too, which was even more annoying.
    I'll try to fix one or two as I go along.
    This is definitely one of the most irritating bugs I've had to deal with and a major inertial damper on House Shattered.
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
    Yes you got to fix space skills, ground skills, space traits and ground traits. It doesnt touch the rep traits nor the selected spec trees
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    From what it sounds like, this issue was caused by obsolete or inefficient code that was either re-written or removed. This was done as part of the solution to reduce lag and rubber banding.

I didn't want to re-spec all my characters any more then anyone else did, but if it was done for the sake of making the game more playable then it was time well spent in my opinion. Reduction of Lag should be the top priority for the dev team right now, nothing chases potential new players away faster then logging on for the first time, making your new captain and then setting out to bounce around ESD like a friggn ping pong ball. :lol:
    Insert witty signature line here.
    Yes agreed, lagging was getting out of hand. I finished mine but I didnt have as many as others had to do, still I done 2 characters per day. My only real complaint is they never included this in patch notes and if they forgot that, they didnt at least announce it on forums or launcher through a blog afterwards
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    lordmerc22 wrote: »
    My only real complaint is they never included this in patch notes and if they forgot that, they didnt at least announce it on forums or launcher through a blog afterwards

That is a very legitimate complaint. I am 100% with you on this.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    still suck to have to redo the trees. they should let you pick the points you want and THEN save. select ok thenthe next then ok then net..
    should just be a,b,c,d1,d2,d3 next level unlocks f,g,h,j then hit ok or buy or whatever the button is. I'm glad I only have 6 alts...might have them all done by Christmas
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    Did anybody ever mentioned if we get the tour the galaxy trait back? Its not like that its a massive game changer, but its a neat "been there, done that" thing that further fleshes out a character.
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,998 Arc User
    lordmerc22 wrote: »
    My only real complaint is they never included this in patch notes and if they forgot that, they didnt at least announce it on forums or launcher through a blog afterwards

That is a very legitimate complaint. I am 100% with you on this.

Agreed. The only mention of it was by Borticus on Reddit.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    Did anybody ever mentioned if we get the tour the galaxy trait back? Its not like that its a massive game changer, but its a neat "been there, done that" thing that further fleshes out a character.
    Not heard a thing and the ingame bug reporting looks like is been broken for years and they don't seem to pay attention to the forums. We might have lost it for good unless someone can somehow get a devs attention. Given some of the other core bugs they have ignored |I have all but given up on that.

seems all the extra traits that appeared in the lowest part of traits for any reason disappeared

so my guess it is part of the removed old code that they mentioned when someone asked on reddit over the invalid skills
  • diocletian#7546 diocletian Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    I feel for those who have a lot of characters. I have one main and three alts and was not much trouble for me. I actually found it a benefit to go back and re-think the skill tree for each and re-build. I keep learning new things about gameplay and that additional experience came into play in rethinking how I set up the skills for each.
  • choclatstarfishchoclatstarfish Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    I'm not amused about having to retrain all my toons but that can be dealt with fairly quickly.What really ticks me off is that adding to the respecing toons,every single one of my ship load outs got scrambled.i don't know if anyone else has that issue.
    My loadouts were intact
This discussion has been closed.