test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So how exactly is xp distributed in STO

stormwind81#1860 stormwind81 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
edited September 2020 in The Academy
Since I couldnt find any details about that on the wiki, then maybe someone here can provide exact details in how STO distributes XP.
I especially want to know how it is when doing TFOs.
Do I need to hit every ship just once to get the full xp when this ship gets destroyed?
or
Do I need to make % damage to it?
or
it doesn't even matter and you get the xp for every ship in an TFO you are close to?

How much xp does a normal ship in TFOs give compared to ones in other missions like patrols solo?

Comments

• foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I don't know for sure. I never cared to pay attention to how XP works in a group. The XP for STFs is particularly bad in all honesty.

If you want XP for leveling, do missions until you can do admiralty, then do both. If you want to level a ship mastery, do patrols, and patrols can be good xp in general once you have a build that can quickly destroy the waves of ships that spawn/respawn.
  • stormwind81#1860 stormwind81 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    Thanks, I already know that!
    But I "genuinely" want to understand how XP works, especially in TFOs. I can guess too!
    It's important so I know how to build my ships to get the best out of it when doing them.
    Guys, I know all that about patrols. I didnt ask for where to get best or fastest xp!
    I asked for how the distribution of xp in STO works and when do you get xp from a ship that is being destroyed in an map where other players are aswell.
    How clear do I need to be in my title for that to get the answer I look for?
  • alyxvixen#3895 alyxvixen Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    In one mission with my boyfriend, I had gone AFK (due to biological reasons) and I had told him this in chat, but apparently he missed my message and started the mission. Attacking and destroying the first wave of ships before I got back.

I had not moved, targeted or fired on that first wave but in the chat window was a list of the XP I had gained from those ships destroyed for simply being in the mission with him.

I think you get XP for being in the same instance with others and gain XP regardless if you tag a ship or not.

That's my experience. (Incidentally, for UEs and PEs, you need to tag a ship (actually fire and damage it) for it to count for the endeavor).
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Guys, I know all that about patrols. I didnt ask for where to get best or fastest xp!
    I asked for how the distribution of xp in STO works and when do you get xp from a ship that is being destroyed in an map where other players are aswell.
    How clear do I need to be in my title for that to get the answer I look for?

No one knows the answer to your question.

All you will get is guesses. Cryptic doesn't make this information available.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    edited October 2020
    Pls speak for yourself! C'mon the Game is +10 years old and u telling me NO ONE knows the answer to that? Yeah right.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    > @stormwind81#1860 said:
    > (Quote)
    > Pls speak for yourself! C'mon the Game is +10 years old and u telling me NO ONE knows the answer to that? Yeah right.
    You're right someone at Cryptic probably knows but xp distribution in TFOs is one of those thing few people have intrest in researching. As far as I can tell only major contrbuting factor is "were you tagged afk" and dispite what may hear you don't need 100k+ dps to avoid an AFK tag.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Pls speak for yourself! C'mon the Game is +10 years old and u telling me NO ONE knows the answer to that? Yeah right.

Well the problem is no one cares much about it enough to study it. XP distribution has never been seen as a problem or unfair (which somewhat implies it is fair at the least), mostly because it isn't relevant at all. Kill XP was largely trivial in this game until ship mastery came about, and at that point people were more interested in the best return for the time which was never STFs. And outside of STFs, most areas, including patrols, have scaling to spawn in more and bigger ships with bigger teams which makes comparing apples to apples harder.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

You asked a question, I answered it.

If you don't like the answer then fine, but if you're going to be a jerk about it you can just figure this stuff out for yourself.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    westmetals wrote: »
    It wouldn't even be very easy to test, which is probably why nobody seems to have bothered.
    Yeah if you want to do it fairly instead of just looking for a justification for your preconception that some people are favored by the devs, the amount of variable you need to test is truly staggering, for example you need to test if your weapon type or energy type has any effect or does the ship you use have any effect and so on.

That's why people generally choose not research very heavily into this as it's a lot of work and 9 times out of 10 the results (in any game) are rather bland.
    U guys are OVER-complicating things.
    All I asked was when does STO grant you xp for a ship.
    Is it enough to tag it or is it even enough to be just in proxy or what?...would be totally sufficient for me!
    Someone with a decent amount of playtime should easily be able to answer that.
    Its ok if you dont know it, its not that important and its not that big of a deal if you dont know it.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,982 Arc User
    Is it enough to tag it or is it even enough to be just in proxy or what?...would be totally sufficient for me!

If you were given an exact answer, would you promise to not use the information in a manner that would give yourself an advantage over others or otherwise alter your normal gameplay to maximize your earned xp?

For example:
    • Trying to maximize your xp by tagging multiple targets so that a higher portion of the xp is labelled as yours.
    • Altering your course to be within a certain distance of designated high xp targets just before they explode and give bonus xp.
    • Only bothering to do a prescribed amount of damage according to the formula in the master xp LUT ?

I just made those up but maybe there could be reasons they just give general guidance in some areas and make key systems fair for all?

Our job is to fly a starship and defend the galaxy from unspeakable evil... xp earned is clearly shown :smile:
    spiritborn wrote: »
    It wouldn't even be very easy to test, which is probably why nobody seems to have bothered.
    Yeah if you want to do it fairly instead of just looking for a justification for your preconception that some people are favored by the devs, the amount of variable you need to test is truly staggering, for example you need to test if your weapon type or energy type has any effect or does the ship you use have any effect and so on.

That's why people generally choose not research very heavily into this as it's a lot of work and 9 times out of 10 the results (in any game) are rather bland.

Um who said anyone was being favored?
    no-one but then I wasn't blaming anyone but rather stating that only those persons who'd seek to claim the devs were favoring someone else then them would really look into this and they wouldn't really test it fairly as they would be seeking just re-enforce their biases rather then seeking truthful results. What I'm not saying is that anyone here has done that.
  • qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    I am not 100% sure, but when I watch my xp whether playing with NPCs or other players, it looks like I get more xp relative to the damage I dealt the target.
    And as parsers fail relative to distance...I assume if you don’t tag the target. You may not get any xp—especially if you are on the other side of the map.
    Yeah but if something is too far away like a battle zone it won’t be in the combat log or parse. So there is a limitation, obviously.