test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please, Cryptic, an off switch... or stop misrepresenting the game

1235»

Comments

• chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    It doesn't really matter how they do it imo. It's up to them to figure it out.

It's pretty ridiculous that some of this TRIBBLE was added the way it has been in the first place. Whoever thought that 'MoRe vIsUaL sPaM!' was a good idea, obviously has never even played a mission where this stuff is used. Certainly not when some of this stuff literally turns the entire screen into one big plasma storm. Or a snow storm. Or whatever.

Most importantly:

It makes the game less enjoyable and the overdoing also makes any kind of visual effect pointless anyway. What's the point of seeing special effects - like any at all - if they're all competing in the most annoying ways for the players' attention? Resulting in players not being able to distinguish anything in the end?

The fact that this even needs to be pointed out, shows how little they experience their own game or how little they understand what is going on in it. Or it's just to stimulate attention seeking by some players to increase sales. Or maybe there's some weird competition going on between devs, who are challenging each other to come up with the most ridiculous and annoying thing they can think of.

Either way, I'd argue that the problem is a result of deliberate dev action. It's not some bug or an accident. Limited man power to redo stuff is therefore just an excuse. If they had even the slightest sense of how the game is viewed by a regular player, they would've done it right while designing this stuff - and they'd have chosen not to design some of it at all. Instead of thinking it'd be funny to add screen-wide blinding effects.

I hear what you're saying, and I share your distaste entirely, but I don't really blame the devs. I suspect the suits are responsible for the optic-nerve-frying effects, and also for the eardrum-shatteringly-loud explosions. The suits are not gamers, and like most non-gamers they hold us in contempt, thinking we are drooling idiots who will be thrilled with moar Moar MOAR!!! lights and sounds.

I know I'm not saying this well, but I think you know what you mean.
  • jkwrangler2010jkwrangler2010 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    It's really bad when you have multiple science captains in an STF. Here is an ISE run with a Risian Weather Control Science ship. Match starts at 41:05. Courtesy of Augmented Dictator Games.
    https://youtu.be/Lz30thIPnSM?t=2465
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    That was just completely blinding. Unbelievable.

I hope other game developers take notice of this and correct course long before it runs off a cliff like STO has a long time ago.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I'd think you'd welcome all this visual spam. Helps to hide the lower quality visual of your Nova. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    It's really bad when you have multiple science captains in an STF. Here is an ISE run with a Risian Weather Control Science ship. Match starts at 41:05. Courtesy of Augmented Dictator Games.
    https://youtu.be/Lz30thIPnSM?t=2465

This is absolutely ridiculous. A game shouldn't be played like this and we're fast reaching a point (if we haven't reached it already) when a game literally couldn't be played like that. I sincerely hope the devs. are well aware of that fact by now and are actively working on a solution that would reduce this absolutely insane visual clutter.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • minidariminidari Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    I agree
  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,478 Arc User
    @darkbladejk

Nerco Alert
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    newnja wrote: »
    OK... this is a beautiful image, worthy of Star Trek:
    R0CLccS.png

This also:
    5Md2paD.png

But THIS... this is nothing like StarTrek:
    YYydjRD.jpg

I wonder... why don't you use images similar to the last one as a game promotion or a new patch? Hmm... I wonder... hmm... ah, it's because it is UGLY!! But the last image is the real representation of your game, not the ones on the top (which you use).

It has become impossible to force myself to enjoy the game because you are unwilling to allow a simple "OFF" switch in the visual options menu. Your game is ugly and cluttered with various unnecessary visual effects which do not relay any vital information. Why do I need a huge, red "beta" hovering over my ship in order to know that I am using an attack pattern??!

PLEASE... make an "off" switch, people have been asking for years...

I'm sorry to say, those pictures are like apples and oranges.

It's not misrepresentations of the game.

They are not 'in game footage' but paintings. The first one representing hero ships versus enemies from the Red Alert Missions where neither side has even begun to fight, the second was of a ship doing a flyby.

Full stop.

• sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,403 Arc User
    foxman00 wrote: »
    @darkbladejk

Nerco Alert

Missing the point. I could have created a new thread, but it would have appeared to be a new issue. I specifically chose to reactivate the thread (which isn't THAT old) to make clear it's an ongoing issue.

It is not missing the point. You are necroing a thread. *in before the lock*
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    I remember complaining about this a long time ago -mostly in regards to the visuals from skills covering your ship. They put out these highly detailed ship models, but you can't even admire them since most of the time you're surrounded by a rainbow of particle affects that completely obscure your ship.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    sthe91 wrote: »
    @darkbladejk

Nerco Alert

Missing the point. I could have created a new thread, but it would have appeared to be a new issue. I specifically chose to reactivate the thread (which isn't THAT old) to make clear it's an ongoing issue.

Still missing his point. The issue persists. What's the point of creating a new thread on the exact same issue when there's a fairly recent one?

Also; you're not a moderator.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    Still agreeing with the opinion that visual spam needs to be reduced.

I was looking at some screenshots a couple of days ago - I take screenshots all the time, but only once in a while I'll navigate to the folder on my computer. Some of them just look horrible, with all sorts of big markers from science team, effects from either the Phantom's or Presidio's traits (at least that's what I think it is) and so on.

The fact alone that I don't even know what some of these things mean, just shows how useless most of these visual things are. They don't relay useful information.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User

I was looking at some screenshots a couple of days ago - I take screenshots all the time, but only once in a while I'll navigate to the folder on my computer. Some of them just look horrible, with all sorts of big markers from science team, effects from either the Phantom's or Presidio's traits (at least that's what I think it is) and so on.

The fact alone that I don't even know what some of these things mean, just shows how useless most of these visual things are. They don't relay useful information.

This is my thoughts exactly. There are so many different powers, effects, and skills flooding our screen, it is hard to make one effect out from the masses, let alone use that effect as some kind of combat queue.

I have a hard time believing that any player is able to "read the combat effects" and make tactical decisions in real time based on what visual effects they are seeing.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,403 Arc User
    sthe91 wrote: »
    @darkbladejk

Nerco Alert

Still missing his point. The issue persists. What's the point of creating a new thread on the exact same issue when there's a fairly recent one?

Also; you're not a moderator.

I never claimed to be a moderator.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    Well, it is issue that needs a resolve. I was wondering why of late I seeing this massive flash strobing light show, in the fights.

Now I know...turn it down, or turn it off. Give us the option.
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
    edited January 2021
    garaffe wrote: »

This is my thoughts exactly. There are so many different powers, effects, and skills flooding our screen, it is hard to make one effect out from the masses, let alone use that effect as some kind of combat queue.

I have a hard time believing that any player is able to "read the combat effects" and make tactical decisions in real time based on what visual effects they are seeing.

A few things like Science or tactical team, the kind of stuff most players use from the beginning, can give useful information.

Still, since players can read from their tray that such a power has been activated (not to mention that the player did this himself) makes even such visual effects rather useless.

I hope they'll finally do something about it. After the need to constantly manage my inventory, visual spam is the most annoying and fun killing thing in this game for me. Even an 'all on / all off' switch with no further options would be appreciated at this point.

nikephorus wrote: »
    I remember complaining about this a long time ago -mostly in regards to the visuals from skills covering your ship. They put out these highly detailed ship models, but you can't even admire them since most of the time you're surrounded by a rainbow of particle affects that completely obscure your ship.

Yeah, that's also what makes it so strange that this visual spam persists.

Ship sales are probably one of the most important sources of income for this game. Most players, I assume, play this because they want to enjoy flying their own unique ship - or be Picard, Sisko, Kirk or whoever.

It's weird that they don't try harder to solve something that so negatively affects that experience when it's such an important reason for people to play.

• foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    This thread is as relevant today as it was in September. Nothing has changed since then. This isn't based on old info. The people in this thread aren't long gone. That it was last posted in past some arbitrary time limit ignores the reason why necroing is bad.

I still hate the visual spam. They haven't addressed any of it. Why close the thread?
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2021
    Agreed. There are some great graphics in the game but the amount of meaningless and annoying 'BOFF/Captain/Ship Ability power use indicator' graphics spam really detracts from the game for me more often than not.

I wish there was a way to toggle it off if I don't care to see it.

I agree. Often the problem is Game Designers think more is sensational, and FORGET that less is actually more!

They'd earn acclaim making several FX more subtle, transparent, or toning several down. The fact is most don't enjoy all their extra efforts over doing it, and prefer being able to see the ships, or the background and environment including improving their quality a bit more.

Something I've wished for 2-3 years they'd clean up! o:)
    0zxlclk.png
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited January 2021

Hmm. Guess I've never played "pro", because I've never seen anything like that.

And I wonder if that's also part of the issue - if the devs/testers don't do their test play at that level (seventy-billion combined effects, plus team composition to maximize it), they won't see it either.
    (i.e, they go out with their semi-standard build, with a couple weapon types or consoles chosen for whatever they're testing)

But, hey, maybe I'm just rambling, and they just don't see a problem with it. /shrug

edit: that said, a "less effects" toggle wouldn't be a bad thing to add.
    Post edited by kiralyn on
  • discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    "But but but... they're all shiny things. Players like shiny things. They throw money at shiny things. So we must keep adding shiny things... And find ways to make them even shinier!"

This seems to be the mentality behind all the pixel vomit.

Sadly, this is actually a design theory. Basically the premise of slot machines. All the flashing lights makes you want to see more flashing lights because it's exciting to part of your brain.
  • wingedhussar#7584 wingedhussar Member Posts: 436 Community Moderator
    Thread_Necromancy.jpg
    latest?cb=20171202101458

...THEN THE WINGED HUSSARS ARRIVED!
    Volunteer community moderator for the Star Trek Online forums. Not a Cryptic Studios or Perfect World employee.
This discussion has been closed.