test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Photon Mines, [pen] or [radius]?

foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
So I've been working on a new build which runs photon mines, in conjunction with photon torps using the gravimetric torpedo full set among other things. Altogether of course, that just means a lot of photon projectile damage.

The mines are where I scratch my head, as I can't decide whether to use the undine rep mines with increased radius or crafted [pen] mines. The increased radius gives a great opportunity to damage many ships at once if they are close, but that doesn't seem as common as I might like, even in a grav well, but that could just be my perception. On the other hand crafted [pen] mines are more damage to any ship they do hit.

So maybe someone has asked themselves that question and found an answer before, or otherwise has their own thoughts and experience?

Comments

• pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    Mixing two of the same type of mines causes de-spawn problems. I would never use 2 crafted mines or 2 Reputation mines of the same type. For optimal performance you need to mix mine types. Advanced and Crafted count as the same type so pick 1 only. Then pick 1 Reputation mine in this case the 1 Radius only, 1 PEN only. Black Op counts as Photon and does not interfere so that makes a good 3rd choice.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Despawn problems? I wasn't aware of that. Well, I guess that makes the choice easy then.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    Despawn problems? I wasn't aware of that. Well, I guess that makes the choice easy then.
    Found my old video that explains it better
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT-FbsTPU2M&feature=youtu.be

With 3 of the same mines you can only have 4 waves in space at once. On the 5th wave the 1st wave de-spawns before hitting the target. By fluke that video was made with the same 3 radius mines you are thinking about using.

I should have made a better video but by mixing the mine type you can have more then 4 waves. 2 different types of mines works but ideally you need at least 3 different types. By different you can either mix damage types like plasma, photon or use photon only but mix Black Ops, Reputation, Crafted. Basic photon , advance photon, crafted photon all count as the same :(

This is outdated but might be of use? https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1241632/minelayer-boat-guide/p1
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    The main concern you would need to use as your baseline is that you have a large enough pool of armor penetration/hull penetration stats to make it work. Which this makes me wish there was an intel b'rel it would be deadly.