test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Weapon skins and R&D

killit95killit95 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
Got a nice build but hate how it looks when it fires? Liking the looks of Kelvin Phasers but prefer the functionality of Dranur Tetryon? Tired of leveling R&D because there's nothing else to do? Introducing "Weapon skins"!
Wait, wait, please don't leave.
I'm sure there's at least one weapon that you've seen that made you say "Hmm, I like the functionality of it, but the aesthetics are just...off", or "I like the looks of it, but the functionality of it just doesn't make it valuable enough to implement it to the build". So, here's what I propose:

After R&D rank 5 in the appropriate school, players are permitted to "dissect" weapons & learn everything they can about them, how they operate, and--more importantly--how to mask other weapons to appear as such. At rank 5, players are able to fabricate one skin, two at rank 10, and so on until a maximum of four at rank 20.

However, there are four catches.
One: For players to apply or remove a skin, it takes R&D ten hours to complete the project.
Two: Players are required to remove a skin before applying another one.
Three: applying a skin binds it to the account, regardless of tier.
Four: It has to be the exact weapon type to apply the skin (Omni-beam requires an Omni-beam, stun pistol requires a stun pistol).

Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #153: Sell the sizzle, not the steak.

Comments

• captkelly31#5645 captkelly31 Member Posts: 392 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    It'd be better for the devs to simply relabel some of them; such as calling the Disruptor High Density a Mk. 47 Gorn Disruptor, since the casing does have the same brownish yellow color as their ships.

If any of them needs whole new skins, it's those generic plasma rifles with the low-def glowing effect.
    Post edited by captkelly31#5645 on