test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Back to STO.

rykus83rykus83 Member Posts: 124 Arc User
I took a 2 year break from STO and decided to get back into the game with a new character and was wondering If anyone out there has a build for a standard federation tactical captain, something that just builds off of the base starting equipment I'm thinking at T6 using my Endeavour Tactical Star Cruiser sense I have the cross faction flagship bundle. I'd like a build that is a mix of beams and torpedo's I don't know if I'll keep it the same layout with 1 torp in the front and 1 in the back.

Comments

• rykus83rykus83 Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    Thinking I'd like to stay cruiser's or battle cruiser's
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    Probably need a bit more information before really being able to help with this one:

1.) How 'basic' of a build do you want? (mission gear, reputation gear, fleet gear, lockbox/lobi/promo gear?)

2.) What damage type(s) are you looking at for your beams and torpedos? Just about any of them can be made to work, so.. pick a flavor.

3.) Are you wanting an all-rounder, or a specialized build?

4.) Do you have/are you opposed to getting other ships(for their traits/etc.)
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    while not "meta" or anything, this build for a t6 Oddy sci cruiser can handle herself.

https://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/3fafda263f9ccaefca8132dae667774b
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
    So I was wondering what u would use running a Morrigu Heavy Warbird and a Khopesh Tactical Dreadnought Warbird what do you set your subsystems at? with there lower base subsystem powers are aux2bat builds any good?
    So In 4 day's i'll have my Risian Science ship what are some good good builds for it. Mind you I'm a tactical captain I would like to try and do a science BoF and console build, I have the maquis raider's plasma storm console I have both the universal console from the other 2 risian ships the (t5) versions if that matters. It would probly have to be a budget build for the most part maybe with some suggestions for replacement stuff as well. Oh running a science build what would I set my subsystems at? the science builds play off of the Auxiliary power right?
    So on the Google I've seen some builds called DEWsci builds what are they? which ships would you use for the build?
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,982 Arc User
    Have you considered taking the second point into EPS for improved EPS efficiency, reversing the allocation for EPG and long range sensors so that they have 1 and 3 points respectively, and possibly taking the extra point in auxiliary subsytem performance and putting it into warp core efficiency?

With some small changes there's still enough skill points left over to do anything from a 27 point tactical ultimate skill tree with a floater point left over to a more science heavy build while still fully supporting energy weapons with respect to long range sensors and EPS.

Everybody specs their ships differently and I realize you use this spec on another ship to good effect. Am just making these suggestions as the OP is a tactical captain who may want to rely upon pure directed energy weapon damage, or DEW with some science, as above.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,982 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    rykus83 wrote: »
    So on the Google I've seen some builds called DEWsci builds what are they? which ships would you use for the build?

They're directed energy weapon builds that also use some science abilities to get the job done. You could go this route with ships having a spare LtC universal or science boff slot to having a Cmdr science along with a LtC tactical.

A very antiquated example would be a Kar'Fi Battle Carrier in which a beam boff ability is used along with science abilities such as gravity well (DEW + Sci).

Edit: I just necro'd a necro. Woops.
    Post edited by protoneous on
  • casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    Your T6 Tac Oddy with a A2B build should suffice, even do really well in the current meta.

Even applying its experimental free upgrade is still a win. Imagine a Tac Oddy with 5 tactical consoles. It's a space beam savage.

And... Welcome back!
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    rykus83 wrote: »

Well, I presume a build you find specifies the ship already.

However on the general subject, I would say the best ships for a mixed energy/sci build are the multimission explorers with their aux cannons. With those you don't need to consider too much your weapon power if your primary energy damage is coming from 2/3 aux powered cannons. What other weapons you use can change that calculus of course, and cannons are limited by the BOFF seating.

In general, though any sci ship can do it, but the more Tac seating they have the better. and while you can work at getting your power to sit high for both weapons and aux, science already has a strong tool for this, which is energy siphon, which you could pair with a plasmonic leech console to keep your power levels high most of the time (the risian weather control ship trait also may be helpful.) Obviously this implies a drain build at heart so you'd either run Tykens rift or a shield destroying build with that. Of course you can just have a random energy siphon alongside a standard grav well build and do it that way too.

There are a lot of ways to build a ship in that vein, so you'd have to play with it and plan out your strategy for it. They are more difficult and not likely to get the ezmode results of a standard grav well build though.