test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Platinum phaser sniper rifle

trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
Yeah didn't realize this was just a one per account thing so would be great if it could be made account bound at the very least especially since I would mostly want it on a federation character and didn't think about it when getting on one of my main KDF characters lol.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    If it makes you feel any better, sniper rifles are generally considered to be sub-optimal.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    starfleetmacostarfleetmaco Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    Damn, same here, claimed it on a KDF character instead of FED.... I had assumed it was account-bound or account reclaimable. Please change this, it would mean a lot.
  • Options
    If it makes you feel any better, sniper rifles are generally considered to be sub-optimal.

Sonic Suppression, Hammer and Anvil, Visor Emulation Overlay, Stabilized Folded-Space Transporter and if you are not a tactical choose something else with damage or whatever you want to use. Tactical though has the stronger applications for the sniper rifle with the sniper trait being they have Ambush, Trajectory Bending, and Stealth Module. Along with Terran ground set for a great setup where you one shot anything you shoot at.
  • Options
    casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    What is the platinum phaser sniper rifle???

Use TR-116b with [run] or the fed mission reward Plasma Overcharged Sniper Rifle?
  • Options
    fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User

Perhaps but they looks so damned cool, especialy the Klingon Omega rep sniper rifle with it's bayonet.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Mk XV Epic out of the box.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,788 Arc User
    Yeah, it's a pity that I'm now stuck with it on a toon that already has all the weapons he could possibly need.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    redwatchmanredwatchman Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    I'm really frustrated that it's character bound. I'm fine with 1 per account, but I'd like to at least hand it to the right character. I've gotten so used to account bound items in this game that I was genuinely shocked that this item wasn't account bound.
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    I'm really frustrated that it's character bound. I'm fine with 1 per account, but I'd like to at least hand it to the right character. I've gotten so used to account bound items in this game that I was genuinely shocked that this item wasn't account bound.

Same here, it makes no sense.. you should be able to put it in your bank and give it to the char you want.. it's oke that it's once..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    kenlbenkenlben Member Posts: 40 Arc User

Agreed, I wanted mine on one of my Fed characters also but it ended up on a Jem'Hadar character
  • Options
    I guess the good thing about all of this is nano pulse dual mekleths.
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter

Yea I was a bit disappointed given that despite being Epic / Gold, it had less DPS than my TR Rifle at Mk XV Ultra quality. I wouldn't say it's horrible either, yet your description fits; some like Sniper's cause of the wide range. Just depends on the Player preferences like so many things...
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    strathkin wrote: »

Yea I was a bit disappointed given that despite being Epic / Gold, it had less DPS than my TR Rifle at Mk XV Ultra quality. I wouldn't say it's horrible either, yet your description fits; some like Sniper's cause of the wide range. Just depends on the Player preferences like so many things...

Those numbers aren't always accurate though, you would have to use a parser or something to really compare them. But considering how much faster the Platinum Sniper fires, I would have to think it would pull ahead of the TR against everything but Borg.

Overall, the Platinum isn't going to replace any of the Lobi Weapons at the top of the heap, but in my admittedly limited experience with the Platinum, it definitely doesn't suck.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    blitzy4blitzy4 Member Posts: 839 Arc User
    Really they should have made it bound to account so you could pass it around to your newer alts.
    jKixCmJ.jpg
    "..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino

• Options
    blitzy4 wrote: »
    Really they should have made it bound to account so you could pass it around to your newer alts.

Indeed.

Was hoping to see this in the patch notes, but nope. It's confusing why the decision was made to have it be character bound.
  • Options
    casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    I've retrieved it too. It's an amazing weapon. Especially for newcomers.

It tempts me wanna try and make it work for a sniper build with phasers.

It has the identical dps to any epic sniper rifle. This is an ovation-friendly giveaway.
  • Options
    alyxvixen#3895 alyxvixen Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    I'm unconcerned about its stats, having seen the image of it, my Enterrprise Era character now has her MACO Particle Rifle with the correct visuals. That's what it is, a Enterprise Particle Rifle... just need a particle pistol or phased pparticle pistol for the visual set.
  • Options
    quixoticishquixoticish Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    Dammit, I've also claimed it on the wrong character, I assumed it was account wide. I've sent in a ticket, we'll see if anything comes from it.
  • Options
    blitzy4blitzy4 Member Posts: 839 Arc User
    Oh, cool. Post it here if anything comes of it. I did the same thing....
    jKixCmJ.jpg
    "..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino

• Options
    akymacaliakymacali Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    Yea this sucks it is character bound. It didn't even say it was in the announcement and there was no warning. It should be account bound. I put a ticket in asking for them to transfer it and I got this BS response.
    Hi,
    Thanks for reaching out. I apologize for the late reply. I understand that you'd like to check if it is possible to transfer your item to your other character. I apologize but we don't have the feature to transfer items from 1 character to another. We appreciate your patience and understanding of this matter. Let us know if you have any other concerns.
    Regards,
    GM Uzul
    Game Master
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    Considering how Cryptic has reassigned properties of items in the past; its obviously not that hard to alter the owner property to account...That said I'm not a phaser user, but I can see why it should be account bound
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    It should be on account considering its special event nature. Thankfully I picked it up with the char that was intended to get the rifle; anticipating something like that as possibility. I would be annoyed though if I had not; assuming like most it would be account bound or at least in an account bound box.
  • Options
    I am hoping this wasn't done so that it can be added to the Phoenix Box or Lobi store later on.
  • Options
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    strathkin wrote: »

Those numbers aren't always accurate though, you would have to use a parser or something to really compare them. But considering how much faster the Platinum Sniper fires, I would have to think it would pull ahead of the TR against everything but Borg.

Overall, the Platinum isn't going to replace any of the Lobi Weapons at the top of the heap, but in my admittedly limited experience with the Platinum, it definitely doesn't suck.

The TR pulls ahead on anything with SHIELDS. Things with high shield and low health like elachi drop like flies. Also the majority of damage from your sniper rifle should be coming from the secondary fire mode on the exploit attack on things you expose for 1000+ damage every 3 seconds or so. The main RoF is rather meaningless to the damage output of a sniper rifle unless you are using it badly. So the things that this rifle is better than the TR at is basically things with NO shields that are not Borg...and only by a small amount.

Fair enough, I honestly would say I fall into the 'using it badly' category with Sniper Rifles. :lol:

For Borg, I prefer the Thompson or something like that so I'll admit I am not the one to ask for an assessment of the Platinum vs. The TR but your analysis sounds pretty on point.

Still, it would be cool if they made the platinum account unlocked.. it would be a nice weapon for a fresh 65 that's climbing the ladder toward their Reputation/ Lobi gear.
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    Ugh, add yet another person to the "I claimed this on the wrong character" pile. My main has a crapton of weapons, all of which are better than this. Yeah I get it, free weapon and all that, but with all these account-reclaimable event weapons to choose from, it doesn't make a lot of sense that this is a once-off, character bound item.

I really don't see any reason why this can't be an account-wide reclaim item, or account bound at the very least. My main is already getting buried alive by inventory bloat (I hardly play her anymore for this reason) and now she's got one more thing I feel obligated to hang onto it. Just great...
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • Options
    chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User

Fair enough, I honestly would say I fall into the 'using it badly' category with Sniper Rifles. :lol:

For Borg, I prefer the Thompson or something like that so I'll admit I am not the one to ask for an assessment of the Platinum vs. The TR but your analysis sounds pretty on point.

Still, it would be cool if they made the platinum account unlocked.. it would be a nice weapon for a fresh 65 that's climbing the ladder toward their Reputation/ Lobi gear.

The problem with using the TR "correctly" is that it takes so loooooong to fire that secondary attack, and exposure only lasts for a few seconds.

I missed the Thompson somehow, and I'm wondering if there's some way to get it now. I have looked in the Phoenix box stuffs and don't see it there.

• Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    I think the Thompson is in Mudd's

Edit. Looking it up on the wiki it's in the Picard bundle
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
This discussion has been closed.