test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Temporary Account Suspension

chico149chico149 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
I got one. For my captains name. It had been the same for years until getting back on after a while and playing a few rounds of TFO. I guess I offended some other player just for existing. I don't use voice chat or anything. I just fly around and do my thing.

My point is this, if offensive names are such a problem, why does the system allow them to even be entered?

Comments

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,247 Arc User
    Also there's the matter that STO is an international game so what offends someone might not offend another and also some words that are not offensive in one language might be in another (or might resemble an offensive word in that language) good example in the Spanish word for the color black and thus typically used in innocent and non-offensive context, but the same word in English is considered highly offensive (which is why I didn't type it, it's a slur against people of African heritage in English).

So making filter that would be able to filter out all offensive words without reducing all text into (censored) or a string of random symbols is for all intents and purposes utterly impossible.
  • chico149chico149 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    And that kind of systematic abuse is why I walked away from the PC version of this game years ago... Glad to see it's alive and well. Those players really do keep the mods from addressing real issues the game is having.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,247 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    WHAT MODS? The forum has mods...the game itself...not so much.

I think he might be referring to GMs for the game itself but frankly in most games including STO they too busy to really police things like naming infractions.
  • revanindustriesrevanindustries Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    What GMs? This game doesn't have any of those either.

Then what is that disembodied voice that asks me to “roll initiative” whenever I enter combat?
  • perseus975perseus975 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    I've had a toon name flagged as innapropriate......and the name was auto-generated by the game. So go figure.