test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Week long dilithium event

ajm1067ajm1067 Member Posts: 205 Arc User
A week long dil event during a pandemic was most welcome. Thank you for that.

It is however with a sigh that, as well as thanking you, I have to comment about the communication of it, which is still a problem, even as it draws to a close; and the fact that it has ended on a maintenance day.

After the issues reported last week at the start, with confusion as to what was happening, as the calendar said one thing and a blog said another. The player base therefore becomes confused and doesn't know which is correct, and didn't find out until after maintenance, when we got in-game to find a dilithium event was indeed on, and the calendar had been changed to confirm what the blog said.

By any measure, that is terrible comms. And as I commented at the time, with the Dil event, you want notice, which effectively you did not give, because you confused us with mixed-messages about what was happening.

We want to be able to run doff assignments, particularly the likes of contraband hand-ins, before the event, bearing in mind that after they complete, we should get +50% more, because they complete just as the event starts. With the confusion, there was effectively no notice.

We also want to be able to plan when to do mining and contraband and other things so that you maximise the benefit of the event. But we couldn't do that beforehand because you screwed up the comms.

As the dil event draws to a close, I check the calendar and I still see an advert for the Dil event as being on this coming weekend, even though the calendar has been changed to remove this previously scheduled event.

So people are still being misinformed or confused by the ads on the overview in-game, especially if they were busy last week and didn't know what happened then, or have just come back to the game after an absence.

The other issue that this week-long event has thrown up is that it ends at maintenance. Now maintenance is usually at the same time every week, but sometimes it isn't, so it is a variable - and how long it is is not an exact science, although you provide an estimate.

Wanting to maximise your dil during the event also means knowing well in advance when the event ends. You say 4pm my time, but in reality, it's 2pm today, when maintenance kicks in. And you only confirm maintenance times shortly beforehand.

So you see, this has made it difficult to plan this event. You have 20 hour cooldowns on mining and contraband hand-ins, etc, so whilst you might try to get all these in right up until the event deadline, you didn't really know when that deadline was until you announced the maintenance.

Couldn't you have held off the maintenance for those two hours? Or end the event two hours shy of the week but given us a week's notice?

And it's not like other events, largely because of these long cooldowns on dilithium gathering affecting what you can do. More than those events, you really want to go down to the wire with it.

In short, whilst this event has been most welcome, the comms at the start, the end, and the fact that maintenance will impinge on the player's ability to maximise their dilithium scores - by cutting into the scheduled end time for the event - has all left a sour taste in the mouth at the same time.

Can I simply suggest that if you do another event like this, you end it on a day, or at least a time, that does not intersect with scheduled maintenance.

As for the comms, I find it extraordinary - yet unsurprising - that you can TRIBBLE it up and keep TRIBBLE it up, despite the problems being pointed out to you at the start of the event, in these forums.

SMH.
NewMixedCrest.jpg?width=350&height=170
McVittie's Marauders - The House of Arrgh
Website
Discord
I absolutely, positively, will not create more characters in STO now that I have five six seven eight nine ten!
McVittie/Saren/Arrgh Son of Jahn/Taev Dar/Professor Moriarty/Mia/Vittie/Vidtana'Clan/Suram/Sarela

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2020
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    REALLY?!? Usually these things only last the weekend...buy they give you an entire week and you complain because you don't like the start or stop date?!? Yeah them mixing dates up in announcements and calendars is bad...but that isn't even your major complaint it seems...it is that they start and stopped on a maint day...SERIOUSLY REALLY?!?

Yeah, seriously. It is possible to be thankful and critical at the same time.

In case you didn't notice the first lines of thanks for doing it at all, go read it again.

As for what the emphasis was, that's your take. Sometimes something needs to be explained in more detail. That evidently went over your head.
    westmetals wrote: »
    Also, the maintenance is pretty much at a fixed time & they have quite often announced event start or end times that are during it. This is not new.

I will however add my voice in terms of last week's scheduled-but-not-deployed bonus marks event. Those of us who were trusting the calendar and launched commendation marks turnins on Wednesday got burned when it got yanked off the calendar the day it was supposed to start.

"Pretty much" is not fixed, which I covered above.

When you schedule an unusual event, do other more usual things get shifted too? The fact is, this was not known until maintenance was announced. But if you want to make a note about what usually happens, events don't usually get scheduled on top of maintenance; so why was this one?

Again, the end time stated did not meet with reality, because of maintenance, and giving that the event listed the end time FIRST as being 4pm (my time), that at least implies that maintenance will get moved to accommodate.

And your point about marks is indeed noted as confirmation of my point here, which also went over coldnapalm's head. Nuance is not his strong suit.

Some of my dilithium work got "burned" yesterday because the event ended sooner than it was listed to, as it did not account for maintenance overlapping.

I didn't put dilithium assignments in early because of the confusion about what was going on.

So I got "burned" at both ends of the event. So yeah, I reiterate what I said:
    In short, whilst this event has been most welcome, the comms at the start, the end, and the fact that maintenance will impinge on the player's ability to maximise their dilithium scores - by cutting into the scheduled end time for the event - has all left a sour taste in the mouth at the same time.

Addendum: Seems the dil bonus is still paying out after it was supposed to end. So, good that I didn't get burned on what I did do, but it still means things are screwed-up and we don't know what is going on. :?
    Post edited by ajm1067 on
    Website
    Discord
    I absolutely, positively, will not create more characters in STO now that I have five six seven eight nine ten!
    McVittie/Saren/Arrgh Son of Jahn/Taev Dar/Professor Moriarty/Mia/Vittie/Vidtana'Clan/Suram/Sarela
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Maintenance overlapping with events however is not new or even unusual. It in fact happens every time an event starts, because the posted starting time is also during that same maintenance period. And past experience should have told you that the maintenance would not be moved to accommodate.

Yet again you qualify your comment and undo your own argument. Face it, you're arguing after the event after making an assumption that happened to be correct, when it could - and perhaps should - have been wrong.

I quite clearly pointed out that the problem was also with the end of the event. Your qualified argument refers only to the start - and therefore fails any kind of "not new of unusual" because that overlap hardly ever happens at the end of the event - because they USUALLY end on Mondays, not Thursdays.

And if they do end at maintenance, it is because we know from advance notice that they will end at maintenance. This event failed to do that.

So kindly don't tell me to make assumptions based on things that don't usually happen.

And frankly anyone arguing against the lack of clarity provided over this event is just too used and brainwashed in accepting such standards here.

I will continue to insist on better.
    Website
    Discord
  • Options

Um. Kindly read what I wrote and not what you THINK I wrote.

I actually did. The fact that you need to come back and clarify and add things, speaks volumes. I've no interest in sidetracking my points by engaging further with your pedantry on what you think I think you think.

This is supposed to be Feedback aimed at the Game makers. My point is really quite simple and the only thing the arguing above achieves is to prove the point that there is confusion being sewn about when events end, because of both start/end times (but especially the latter) often overlapping with maintenance.

Please design these events so that this overlap and confusion for players is avoided.
    Website
    Discord