test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Where're the exploration, colonization & industrialization Systems?

Comments

• Options
    garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    garaffe wrote: »
    I would very much like to see an expansion of the R&D/crafting system. Increase the number of unique items only craftable at the maximum tier for each R&D school. Increase the R&D tier cap to 20 and add the ability to craft upgrade modifiers (that are character or accound bound) as well as better upgrades. How about craftable weapon sets (energy, projectile, console) and craftable equipment sets for both ground (weapon, shield, armour, maybe even a 4-piece with kit frames) and space (I know there is already one for space, but it is really out of date).

R&D already caps at 20.

But yes, new item sets could work in with what I was proposing. Or just alternate graphics for the weapons themselves (such as the example of the Bajoran phaser) or non-standard weapon types like the bio-phasers or corrosive plasma or whatnot.

I meant the cap in terms of getting access to new craftables. There is nothing new to craft after tier 15.

I think what you have proposed is a great idea too, in order to breath some life into R&D. Perhaps all the equipment currently in Rep stores can be converted into craftable equipment using same equivalent of Dil plus some rep marks or something.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    You're looking at the wrong game. I recommend Stellaris with the Star Trek total conversion instead.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    You're looking at the wrong game. I recommend Stellaris with the Star Trek total conversion instead.

He doesn't want that though, as he's already said. He wants to have something more to Star Trek online so provides him more than just Pew pew pew.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    crossmrcrossmr Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    Sadly that's the way most MMORPGs go. Because you have to leave the content up for everyone it's hard to allow the players to make any meaningful changes to the world. Unless the game is inherently built for that from the get-go, like say foxhole.
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    Not even sure what an "industrialization system" is or would be....?

ever play MOO, MOO2 or Birth of the federation? you colonize the planet, and depending on the planet's resources you specialize your population as agriculture to feed your worlds, build industry to make stuff and generate empire level cash, labs and scientists to unlock science breakthroughs. I think that's what he wants
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    It would be interesting to see a Galaxy wide battlezone event every once in a while. The event could be prompted by a message saying that enemy X is making a major offensive against Alliance space. Captains would have to capture/recapture sectors by joining a large group battle instance (like current battle zones) by first flying to that sector and entering a particular system. Instead of the event only lasting half an hour or so like current battlezones, it could be a week long event, so the entire server has to come together to fight off the invasion, holding the captured sectors in shifts. This would get players from all times zones involved.

Which enemy it is could determine which sectors start out under enemy control (Hur'q would be the top of Alpha, borg would be top right Beta, etc.).

This could be a revamp of the "red alert weekend" events which is boring and pointless.
  • Options
    Yes, but with more enemy types and galaxy wide, not just Gamma quadrant.
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    Are you beginning to understand now?
    Yes, but that doesn't actually meet the conditions you talked about earlier.

You complained about the players actions not meaning anything. But in this sort of system the player's actions still wouldn't mean anything as the enemy force could never actually do something like, say, blow up Earth, and cause any sort of actual hindrance to players. Nothing that happens in such a system would actually matter, it would all just be playing pretend invasion.

You also complained about not being able to lose, and being able to just respawn over and over. But in this sort of system, since the enemies can't actually do anything like blow up Earth, this means they would just do like enemies do in STO's battlezones, or in Guild Wars 2 meta events, where they would just stop after reaching a certain limit of territory control. It would be impossible to fail such a system, players would just keep respawning and doing it over and over again. You could never actually "fail" it.

As for the actual content of said missions, everything you described is already done in existing TFOs like Gateway to Grethor, Brotherhood of the Sword, Undine Assault, Operation Riposte, and Dranuur Colony Invasion, etc. etc., but instead of being like those, open for people to play at any point they want, it would all be timed/thresholded, meaning people wouldn't be able to play the things they want to, when they want to.

Then there is a big problem in regards to Cryptic needing to design a dozen+ ground maps to make ground assault varied and interesting, which is a lot of work for no real payoff compared to what they already do with ground based assault TFOs set on one world.

What you suggest offers nothing in the way of gameplay not already offered by STO's current design, does nothing to actually fix the problems of your actions not mattering, and not begin able to fail, and makes content less accessible to people in the process.

To add to what Somtaawkhar is saying here, having people be able to be somewhere, at a certain time to play said threshold event would go against what the devs have been trying to build towards in the game: content that players can play whenever they want.

For example, outside of TFO events like the one right now for the T6 ship or 1000 lobi, players are able to run story missions when they want, run patrols when they want and do just about anything else as long as there are people doing the same things like participating in a battlezone.

Under your system there would be no guarantee that players would be willing to head to a certain area to take part in such and such event if its something that doesn't interest everyone. Take for example a ground invasion. Not everyone likes to do ground because to them, the ground combat isn't as good as what other games have. Those people would want to do space battles, which they'd have to wait around for. I would foresee ground battles never getting triggered and thus always being the lesser played.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,986 Arc User
    When they used to have things scheduled on rotation it was something looked forward to by quite a few people. Some spoke of missing scheduled things but with a proper rotation if you missed something one day it could be picked up the next day at a slightly different time.

It would be nice to have some sort of an alternative to TFO events -> story missions -> patrols -> battlezones.

Not everybody likes ground could easily be rephrased as ground is sometimes a pleasant change from space. Colony simulations (ground) certainly got triggered a lot at one point.

Pew-pew-pew does keep the lights on, but it's no wonder people ponder alternatives.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Wait a minute, it was an example? ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    In regards to flying your ship from the bridge, I can thanks to both my foundry experience and what devs have told explain what issue is there.

You see the game treats your ship as essentially another constume with different stats that's only avaiable to you in space maps, thus when you're in a space map your "ground map self" does not exist as it's replaced by your "ship self" and in ground maps your "ship self" doesn't exist as it's replaced by your "ground map self".

Because of this the game doesn't know anything about the location of your ship or it's state that isn't displayed in your character screen (that's btw why space stats are inaccurate in ground maps and ground stats on space maps, the game doesn't know how to properly apply those stat in the wrong map type).

To be able to fly the ship from the bridge would demand a fundemental rewrite of how the game treats maps and your character to seperate your ship from your captain as an in-game object, so that they could share the same space (pardon the pun).
  • Options
    Just what does the Federation/KDF Teaming mean? I know when I enter a TFO as a Fed there are definately KDF Characters in there.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    ltminns wrote: »
    Just what does the Federation/KDF Teaming mean? I know when I enter a TFO as a Fed there are definately KDF Characters in there.
    I think what they mean that you can invite KDF people to Fed teams or the other way around, at the moment you get people from the other faction if you have 5 people ready via the TFO UI or the TFO queue can put you in the same group with people from the other faction. If you got less then 5 people you're out of luck.
  • Options
    So the System can do it, and the KDF can't go to ESD unless it was the time that they did.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    spiritborn wrote: »
    In regards to flying your ship from the bridge, I can thanks to both my foundry experience and what devs have told explain what issue is there.

You see the game treats your ship as essentially another constume with different stats that's only avaiable to you in space maps, thus when you're in a space map your "ground map self" does not exist as it's replaced by your "ship self" and in ground maps your "ship self" doesn't exist as it's replaced by your "ground map self".

Because of this the game doesn't know anything about the location of your ship or it's state that isn't displayed in your character screen (that's btw why space stats are inaccurate in ground maps and ground stats on space maps, the game doesn't know how to properly apply those stat in the wrong map type).

To be able to fly the ship from the bridge would demand a fundemental rewrite of how the game treats maps and your character to seperate your ship from your captain as an in-game object, so that they could share the same space (pardon the pun).

innacurate...to me.

we spent a mission or two, from what i can recall, where we are on the bridge making our way to point B from point A. as pointed out in another thread...if they know where point B is, like say ESD, from say, New Rom, it is already a calculated distance, the only thing that alters this is what your ship has for equipment and any special attributes you have or can get.
    all they have to do is apply the same details in the background as it would for your ship travels, space version only, and apply it to a bridge/interior scene.
    so if it takes 1 minute to travel to ESD from NRom, then if you so desire, you could "engage" from the bridge and walk around, or sit in the chair for that same amount of time. some standard lights flying buy to look like you are going fast, and walla, good to go.
    as far as rewrite...why? ive never had to use my own ship interior or bridge in a fight, so they could lock out the toon aspect of stats while on the bridge or ship interior. you get to see yourself do stuff, interact with crew, launch mail, acct stuff, etc, but you cant fight. treat your captain as a non-combat hologram. :)

Well the thing is that it can tell you where you start or end up, but if you had to end early or changed courses the game has literally no idea what to do. This isn't me speculating this is literally what we were told and I kind of assume Cryptic devs know what their game is capable of better then you do.

Same with the the bridge really as the ground map and the space maps literally don't exist the same time, so the bridge would just be an overlay on a normal space map and even that has a lot of issues to make that functional and from what I've heard all bridge interiors are on the same ground map just seperated into their own little slots that you don't see other player's bridges.
This discussion has been closed.