test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tzen-Tar build

vongravenvongraven Member Posts: 116 Arc User
Hello everyone, I need an advice please. I'd love to run a torp build on my Tzen-Tar but sadly I'm not very good at creating new builds. Does anyone know if there is a decent build uploaded which I can take as a good start? Also, I guess, it's not worth it to run an EPG build like on sci torpedo boat? What's the best stat to stack than? Crth/crtd? Thank you kindly for any help.

Comments

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    You're in luck! :smile:

A fleet mate of mine.. @peterconnorfirst recently posted his Kinetic Tzen-Tar build and it's quite an impressive build.

It's a very high end build, so you might not be able to just copy it, but I am sure you can pull some ideas from it. You can find the build here.

Hopefully, that helps at least give you some ideas.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    You're in luck! :smile:

A fleet mate of mine.. @peterconnorfirst recently posted his Kinetic Tzen-Tar build and it's quite an impressive build.

It's a very high end build, so you might not be able to just copy it, but I am sure you can pull some ideas from it. You can find the build here.

Hopefully, that helps at least give you some ideas.

Indeed, I'm in luck! :smiley: Thank you so much for sharing! That's a very nice build, indeed. I'm even more in luck because I can copy most of it before I start experimenting with that basic setting on my own. Hehe, I sit on a pile of gear, EC and ships but I lack the vision of combining them, sadly XD That's great there are people who share their ideas. Say thank you to your fleet mate too!

• Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    Sorry for checking late here and big thx for the tag @seaofsorrows.

The Tzenkethi Dread is surely one of the most powerful starships in STO. I went for more of a niche build here with torpedoes and mines but between the fire at will nerf a few seasons back and the successes of kinetics from @pottsey it felt like a safe bet to take a risk and invest the recources. It worked out for me and getting in the 200-300k DPS reach in an average L-R ISA/E is not hard with the displayed layout. Especially in Elite the tiny bit slower kinetic weapons aren’t a big deal as we finally have enough HP to melt for all in team.

In light of the versatility and access to the good stuff (MW powers) of that ship conventional approaches with cannons/DEW work great as well of course. Here is the example build of the STO league:

https://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/053ce18c4235f79d93f051b108d3ae00#starship

And here the one from Sea with AP guns:

https://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/8f92b7010b928d6e17115a7149fab39c

You made a good choice with the ship OP, no matter how you intend to set it up. :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    Hello @peterconnorfirst and thank you kindly for sharing your awesome builds :)

The disruptor DHC build is the one I'm using on my Vaadwaur Jugger, and it's indeed a true space vakuum cleaner ship. Actually it's the one I'm enjoying the most atm, and yet I'm open for trying something new. Jugger is an incredible ship but it's a bit slow. Tzen-tar is much faster even for it's size! And it has the power to punch it. Also, I quite enjoy the torp build on my Jellyfish, and yet it's not the same one because I go for space magic on my sciscort. So Tzen-tar will be a bit different from what I've played before and yet the playstyle that I truly enjoy. The only thing I've never tried yet are the mines. I usually stack the back weapons with turrets or omnis. I'm not even sure what range do those mines need. So I'm already excited about practice. I've already collected the most of the gear, so it will be the great day for me to try out this setup. Concerning doffs, just a quick note. I guess it's worth using Kelti Aruu with a stacking 5% torp buff too. The other two of my projectiles officers are the usual ones though.

Also, you have my thanks for sharing the AP build. That's what I need for another ship of mine. I'm trying to build the AP setup with herald weapons, but I might try the other ones too. I'm also using the AP torpedo with spread and concentrate fire in this build. Not sure if it's worth it, but lets see.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    vongraven wrote: »
    Also, you have my thanks for sharing the AP build. That's what I need for another ship of mine. I'm trying to build the AP setup with herald weapons, but I might try the other ones too. I'm also using the AP torpedo with spread and concentrate fire in this build. Not sure if it's worth it, but lets see.

Hi Vongraven,

The AP build is one of mine so I'll try and answer as best I can. First, given a choice.. I prefer crafted AP over Herald because I like the proc better on Crafted. Crafted AP has a built in 20% critical Severity where the Herald beams trade this bonus for a small percentage chance to add a Cat 1 Buff that can stack up to 3 times. The build linked is on a Romulan running all bridge officers that have the Superior Romulan Operative trait to push Critical Chance as high as I can get it. Because of that, the built in 20% Critical Severity is far more of a boon then having a 2.5% chance to add a small Cat 1 buff which is already pushed quite high on this build anyway. This is just my own preference, but personally.. for AP, I prefer Crafted over any of the other options. It also happens to be the cheapest route to just craft some Mark II Beams and upgrade them.. so it's a win/win for me. That being said, if you already have upgraded Herald AP Weapons.. the difference is probably not worth scrapping upgraded weapons and starting over. If you have them and you like them.. you should absolutely use them. They're good weapons, just not my favorites.

As for the Torp, as you can see.. I don't use a Torp in my build which is pretty common for me. If you want to mix in the the AP Torp, that would be perfectly fine. If you did this.. on the Skills, I would remove the 3rd point from Advanced Targeting Systems, and remove rank II and rank III from Improved Defensive Maneuvering and put all 3 of those points into Projectile Weapons Training. You could swap out Kemocite for your Torpedo Spread and that should work fine. The build posted is provided to give some ideas on direction if you wanted them.. it can absolutely be adapted for any changes you wanted to make. You can take as much or as little as you like.. whatever helps you build the ship that's the most fun for you. Torps are a good flavor and they add more of a cannon feel to ships.. I just don't personally care for them so they aren't in my build. :smiley:
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,320 Arc User
    I always seem to forget that the dyson weapon can switch firing modes. Interesting setup to reduce cooldown by using both CSV/BFAW and intertwined matrixes
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    The build linked is on a Romulan running all bridge officers that have the Superior Romulan Operative trait to push Critical Chance as high as I can get it. Because of that, the built in 20% Critical Severity is far more of a boon then having a 2.5% chance to add a small Cat 1 buff which is already pushed quite high on this build anyway.

Hello @seaofsorrows and cheers for sharing your experiences. :) That's indeed a good point because my toon is a romulan too. So I have access to some extra rom boffs too. I haven't upgraded any AP set yet as I'm patiently waiting for the upgrade weekend. I might just upgrade both of the sets and try out what fits best. And than just pass the 2nd set to another toon. Currently I'm running the Herald + former event AP weapon, matter conversion DHC. I like the procs and also I truly enjoy the blue-violet skittles coming out. XD But yeah, I guess, the crafted DHC may have a better proc for the romulan toon. Also, are you using Pen or Rapid procs on the crafted cannons? Are they any good?

Concerning the torp - the ship with a command seat is just begging to get one. :) It's the new sec 31 battlecruiser. Intel/command are usually not the most favorite seats, so I'm trying to pull out the best out of them. I will definitely try out the 1 torp set up and decide, if it works fine. ^^

• Options
    Also, are you using Pen or Rapid procs on the crafted cannons? Are they any good?

They are all [CrtD]x3 [Pen] with the [CrtD/Dm] Mod at Epic.

Pen is very good, I don't know much about Rapid, I usually don't bother with it.
  • Options

Pen is very good, I don't know much about Rapid, I usually don't bother with it.

Ah yeah, missed that somehow. I was wondering which crafted proc is better, so that's the answer. One more question about hangars. Both builds use the nausicaan stingers. Are those better than other hangar pets?

• Options

Ah yeah, missed that somehow. I was wondering which crafted proc is better, so that's the answer. One more question about hangars. Both builds use the nausicaan stingers. Are those better than other hangar pets?

The Stingers are very high DPS Pets and are usually the recommended 'Go To' on the KDF Side yes. They're quite good. :smile:
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    [Rapid] just applies CRF 1 randomly. It is really only useful on a ship without enough tactical BOFF slots to slot everything you want, and even then, you'd need to have several cannons set up to use [rapid] to trigger it as often as possible. The same is true of [over] of course, but for beams. I'd say those are only useful on very niche builds.