test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Custom Ship Interiors... as a Dilithium sink.

A lot of people want, not only ship interiors but CUSTOMIZABLE ship interiors. But, now that they've killed the foundry, that seems even less likely...

But... What if it came with a simple idea that let them "monetize" it?

Unpopular idea, i know, but hear me out.

Build a simple interior layout. Ship categories like Fighter, Shuttle, Small, Meduim, Large, and Carrier and each ship will be based on the Tac, Eng, Sci builds the ships are under. Each ship also has it's own design based on the playable "factions", since there are only two real Factions, like Fed, kdf, romulan, etc. From there, each ship has a simple map of "non-essential" rooms for a ship and "essential" ship rooms. Essential ship rooms are Bridge, Main Engineering, Transporters, Medical Bay, Shuttle Bay, etc. "Non-Essential" rooms would be things like Astrometrics, Hydroponics, Armory, Repair Drone Bay, etc. Each floor is given a VERY simple layout based on ship size, with the doors remaining locked off until filled but once filled, each room will add a specific bonus.

In Champions online, they have a system called Specializations. Each Specialization adds a slight bonus to your hero's performance, either a small percentage boost, additional effect or resilience, or other nice tidbit. Here, Each room would act as those choices. Science based rooms would boost sci builds and abilities, Tac rooms would boost weapons and dps stats, Eng rooms would add to defenses and other Eng based goodies.
These rooms would add bonus areas to each current ship interior, but give overall boosts to existing ship stats and abilities. These could be passive or affect active abilities like cool downs, power duration, or what have you. There are really no limits to what they could come up with.

Each room could have a rarity or a rank would add to the look of the room, meaning the higher the rank, the fuller/more technologically advanced a room may look. These rooms could be equipped and updated like items (think secondary deflector dishes), but each would also be cheap to buy, since they wouldn't be tradable or sellable. We would be using dilitium for base faction rooms, GPL for Non-Faction rooms, and Lobi for "Special" rooms, like Borg alcoves or Red Matter Labs. Achievements or special items could also be the unlocks for these rooms, like having the Red Matter Capacitor could unlock the Red Matter Lab, or ranking up the Red Matter Lab might allow players to unlock the Red Matter Capacitor.

This would do three main things for the game:

1) Customizable Ship Interiors

2) Specialization system for fine tuning your build even further.

3) Give Devs another Dil sink, so they can try to sell Money and rooms and stuff.

What do you all think of this? Yay? Nay? Rooms you would like to see? I would be curious to see what rooms you would want, as well as what bonuses you would love to see them have.

Personally, I would love to see Borg Tech rooms, which give related bonuses, like a Borg Armory, which gave a small chance to infect ships with torp weapons, or a Borg infused Medbay that could do something like offer ground combat better health regen or something. Given the nature of the specialization tree, there is a serious amount that could be done here with enough creative input.

Comments

• joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    You're basically advocating a Galactic Strongholds-style system for STO?
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    joshmaul wrote: »
    You're basically advocating a Galactic Strongholds-style system for STO?

Guh, I certain'y hope not. You would be buying equipment, not paying exorbitant amounts of money to unlock a room. If anything, they could just leave the room open and have a generic empty room in there. But the main thing is to keep costs low, to make up for the added cost of, not just charge an arm and a leg for things. Plus, they wouldn't be layouts you can't move and adjust.

Despite that, i can see what you mean, so i'm more than willing to get suggestions to keep it from being even remotely close to the horror that is SWTOR and their strongholds.
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    I'm sad the anniversary ship's bridge is basically a small box. Still the don't really do bridges anymore because their hobbling along for resources to develop things and there are days it feels like this game is gasping for air. I really would have loved to see Risan bridges on the Risian ships. Oh well.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    This is in the FCT sticky.

I'd love a Dream House for our Space Barbie, but the devs said no.
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    This is in the FCT sticky.

I'd love a Dream House for our Space Barbie, but the devs said no.

I'm guessing i missed a serious dev update?

So they're not doing any ship development at the moment? is the game doing poorly or is it just a PWE taking all the money while giving none back kind of thing?
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,712 Community Moderator
    FCT /closed
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.