test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Leaver Penalty in 2020

This should be a smarter feature! I left a red alert because there's 2 dead leeches, and one guy flying in circles. and I'm not endgame elite, I cant carry red alerts solo! So why stay just to run the clock down?

Just saying, I understand leaver Penalties, but in 2020 this should be a smart feature and weigh the team and what caused someone to leave. can't be hard to determine if the rest of the team was afk and/or not doing damage, etc.

At least an option that pops an alert, get working or get kicked and put on cd!!! that and or reduce the dilithium reward for players who remained inactive for the red alert to deter multi-box farmers! I dual box sometimes too, but not when it effects other players, sometimes I can't find something and start searching other accounts. but I don't do it to farm.

Comments

• sabrevt1100sabrevt1100 Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    Have to agree with this. If you get in a random TFO or Red Alert and you have other player who aren't participating you shouldn't be penalized for leaving or the experience I had tonight where I got kicked out of the server during Battle of the Binary Stars and had trouble logging back in. The player shouldn't be held responsible when they get kicked out of the game and have issues logging back in or if you got players not participating. I think the leaver penalty needs to be reexamined.
    "Bite Me! It's Fun." - Crow T. Robot
  • smr12smr12 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    I agree, yesterday my game crashed at the start of a tholian alert. the result was a penalty.
    Until Cryptic fixes the bugs and the huge lag problem, i refuse to give them a single cent. A company that charges hundreds of dollars but can't even give a stable bugfree game (or at least doesn't have bugs that are years and years old), doesn't deserve my money.
    Also when coming back after 2 years not playing STO, spending $30 and getting hit immediately with a 7 day account probation.
    This shows very little respect from cryptic towards their playerbase and, this is another reason to not spend any single cent on this game.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    While I agree that the current system is in need of updating (being just based on DPS is holding back TFO design as you can't really design heavily puzzle based TFOs when everyone is conserned about their DPS).

I aso know there's major issues that makes designing an effective system harder then people might think, since no system cannot read the mind of the player in question it has to be based on what they're doing ingame, which can cause it to be either too sensitive or not sensitive enough. There are valid reasons why someone might have to go for a short unplanned AFK (some players are parents and thus their children come before anything in-game), it isn't realistic at all to force players to be glued to their keyboards for every millisecond a TFO or RA lasts. That said any AFK that lasts more then a few minutes at most should be punished as well.

Also I'd prefer that passive DPS would count for less in TFO then active so just deploying your pets and letting them attack random targets shouldn't be enough to avoid the penalty (as you're not actually doing anything productive in the team).
  • section31agent#8506 section31agent Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    The only way to solve the problem is to report players. The DEVS should have a system that accounts for the number of times a player goes afk or leaves. That setting needs to be reasonable so that players can't be railroaded (five people reporting you who weren't even on the team). Once that threshold has been reached then assess a leaver penalty. Automatic settings can penalize players in time sensitive missions.

OP, I feel your pain but that's the best way possible at the moment.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    I've always thought people made too much of a big deal out of the Leaver and AFK Penalties. About how they're implemented. About how long they are. About how they are "unfair" for this, that, or the other reason. I have incurred both Leaver and AFK penalties over the years. Most by accident. Some on purpose. Oh well. Guess I'll go craft or DOff for a half hour. Or, I could turn off the game and go do something else. Like read a book. Play with my dog in the backyard. Various other things which are too many to list further.

Star Trek Online is a game. It should never be allowed to become the focal point of one's existence. Especially in times like these.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.