test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Opening personal endeavor boxes

wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
In order to participate in the personal endeavors, I believe the alt has to be level 60. However, why is there a limit on the level to open the account bound reward box. I'm guessing it's also level 60 to open the boxes, but would appreciate if someone knew for certain if that's true.

Seems to me that we ought to be able to open it on any alt on the same account.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    I believe it's because the reward boxes sometimes contain spec point boosts. It's likely a way of controlling progression until you reach end-game level.
  • Options
    chipg7 wrote: »
    I believe it's because the reward boxes sometimes contain spec point boosts. It's likely a way of controlling progression until you reach end-game level.

I could see that if the 1/4 spec points actually opened when you open the reward box. But the item itself is account bound and can be freely moved from alt to alt - although I don't know whether a low level alt could actually "use" it or if you'd get the same message as when trying to open the actual reward box.

Then again, why would someone try to use a spec point on an alt where the specializations have not even been unlocked.
  • Options
    The spec boxes are level-locked, yeah. Account-bound, as you say, but not able to be opened at low level.

So you can pop them all in an alt's bank, and have them ready to speed-spec when they hit whatever level it is they can use it. Somewhere after 50, I can't remember when though.
  • Options
    kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    chipg7 wrote: »

I could see that if the 1/4 spec points actually opened when you open the reward box. But the item itself is account bound and can be freely moved from alt to alt - although I don't know whether a low level alt could actually "use" it or if you'd get the same message as when trying to open the actual reward box.

Then again, why would someone try to use a spec point on an alt where the specializations have not even been unlocked.

Because there will always be that 'one' person.

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    > Seems to me that we ought to be able to open it on any alt on the same account.

How would this change help? You can transfer credits using the account bank.
  • Options
    > Seems to me that we ought to be able to open it on any alt on the same account.

How would this change help? You can transfer credits using the account bank.

The boxes have R&D mats and dil. While you can transfer the mats, it's a hassle to do, rather than simply opening the box on the alt you want them on, in addition to assuming you have sufficient numbers of account bank slots open to do the transfers.

And of course, unrefined dil is not currently transferable, nor to I think it should be. But, claiming an account-wide prize on a particular alt is different from transferring unrefined dil earned through multiple different avenues, including mission rewards, TFOs, and past events.

The fact that it happens to be a lower level alt shouldn't bear on whether an account-wide prize is accessible. Since it's only three boxes a day, you're rarely going to earn enough dil to exceed the refining cap on one alt, let alone multiple newly created alts.
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    I've not heard of any reason given by the devs. I suppose it could be technical, like it needs the Personal Endeavor subsystem to run to grant pass tokens, and being level-blocked from participating will block that subsystem access. Hiding away the Personal Endeavors on low level alts is likely done so newbies don't get confused with stuff that they wouldn't be able to use yet. I know they had issues with Spec Point tokens when those were new, so just blocking access to those until they're fairly likely to work makes sense. Even though you could send them to alts via the Account Bank, it's probably just easier to block them off from dropping on low level alts entirely.

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    tom61sto wrote: »
    I've not heard of any reason given by the devs. I suppose it could be technical, like it needs the Personal Endeavor subsystem to run to grant pass tokens, and being level-blocked from participating will block that subsystem access. Hiding away the Personal Endeavors on low level alts is likely done so newbies don't get confused with stuff that they wouldn't be able to use yet. I know they had issues with Spec Point tokens when those were new, so just blocking access to those until they're fairly likely to work makes sense. Even though you could send them to alts via the Account Bank, it's probably just easier to block them off from dropping on low level alts entirely.

Good point about the pass tokens.

• Options
    tom61sto wrote: »

Good point. I can see that there might be a purely mechanical reason, such as the pass tokens, whose programming is a frankenstein of workarounds that it's simpler to leave as is.

However, that raises a lot of other questions that probably would not be fruitful to debate.
  • Options
    You make a lot of unrefined dil just be leveling up through the content. So that's not much of an issue.

Really, it takes such a short time to level into the end-game. It's a minor inconvenience for a short period of not being able to open the reward boxes on new toons.
This discussion has been closed.