test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Longer TFO Misson (raids/dungeons) in STO?

encommander#0803 encommander Member Posts: 5 Arc User
So far in the game the longst TFO i have ever been in was under 30 Minutes. in other games like WoW, GW etc the "TFO" in those games (raids/dungeons as they are called, i might still be a bit inaccurate) they last way longer and require the players to know the map.

In Infected the Conduit Aka ISA, one to two players can do the entire thing by them self even tho the team is a 5 player team. This means there is almost no team effort exepct the pattern (middle, left, right and back middle).

For other TFO like Swarm, all you need to do is kill any hurqs before they can attack the ships escaping.
In borg disconnected all you need there is to kill all borg quickly or have alot of temp hit points to free the borg and you can one man a side (3 sides 5 players one side will always be alone, but mostly i see 3 players on one side then 2 players on 2sides...).

my Point is that there isnt that much "team effort" in TFO missions and you can camp them and still get a large number of marks. what i want to see is longer TFO missions where you need to know what you're doing to win it. Aka more fail mechanics in them to make them more challangeing in other ways that just More FIRE POWER needed.

why would any one do these?
1. they can give more Marks, or even allwo to select to diffrent marks like, Iconian and Delta.
2. give Dil, im not talking high levels but 3K dil is a good bit for doing one mission and the players who know how to get dil has dil stakced upp alot.
3. they could give EC for doing, say 500k-1mil EC. alot of players have problems making EC as well and having combat missions you can do to get is could help

Before you say but thats OP!, remember the fail mechanics so you need to know what you're doing so you can't just jump in and get it for free

4. Speical TFO Mission gear. to get a Warp core (for an example) you need to get 2 itesm for 5 diffrent TFO missions, (so you need to do it twice and complete it and not fail it) to get it, and yes this is very similar to the "rep stuff"

But for rep stuff you can just load upp counterpoint, camp ur ship on top of DS9 and set weapons to autofire and take a coffie break while the team does the rest, same with the Crystaline entity. you can sit at 9.9km and shoot and move in after each shock wave... there is little effort required. and i want to see fleet being a fleet where players play together more instead of a "fleet store" which is fleets biggest job in the game at the moment

(sorry for some spelling inaccuracy)
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I would love to see raids added to STO, but at this stage I think it's unlikely to happen.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    Right now he got for example the ground dranuur instance that is needed for colony provisions and most people avoid it make it often hard to get a full team even if its something needed for fleets. Also on the games that do have raids(most themeparkey games) they are losing gradually more and more popularity. Smaller teams and small to mid duration is just more practical
    Post edited by lordmerc22 on
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    The problem is that most STO players are casuals who are playing to fly around in their Star Trek ship like their favorite captain from the TV shows, ship going pew pew pew.

This isn't a game for people who want to learn the mechanics to succeed in a long raid. People complain about the few existing TFOs that require anything other than pew pew. Queues that require learning and following other objectives are likely to fail if the group is a PUG instead of a premade team.

Cryptic is a business, so it doesn't make sense for them to spend resources developing a raid like that instead of new story episodes or a short, 5-person, casual-friendly TFO. "The needs of the many."
  • Options
    So far in the game the longst TFO i have ever been in was under 30 Minutes. in other games like WoW, GW etc the "TFO" in those games (raids/dungeons as they are called, i might still be a bit inaccurate) they last way longer and require the players to know the map.
    The game originally had "raids", or at least raid like events.

The Borg TFOs originally had the ground and space parts combined as one really long TFO, and since that was ages before the power creep kicked in, they were actually very hard to do. Cryptic split the ground and space portions up into separate TFOs because people kept complaining about how difficult they were, and how much time it took to complete them.
    4. Speical TFO Mission gear. to get a Warp core (for an example) you need to get 2 itesm for 5 diffrent TFO missions, (so you need to do it twice and complete it and not fail it) to get it, and yes this is very similar to the "rep stuff"
    This WAS how the game originally worked also. Originally, back before the reputation system was in place, in order to get the Borg rep gear you had to do the Borg TFOs on the harder difficulty levels, and try for a chance for a unique kind of "salvage" drop that you could turn in for the Borg rep gear. And it was changed to the way it is now because people complained about how difficult it was to get those drops.

i did not play back then so i did not know that. thanks!
  • Options
    The problem is that most STO players are casuals who are playing to fly around in their Star Trek ship like their favorite captain from the TV shows, ship going pew pew pew.

This isn't a game for people who want to learn the mechanics to succeed in a long raid. People complain about the few existing TFOs that require anything other than pew pew. Queues that require learning and following other objectives are likely to fail if the group is a PUG instead of a premade team.

Cryptic is a business, so it doesn't make sense for them to spend resources developing a raid like that instead of new story episodes or a short, 5-person, casual-friendly TFO. "The needs of the many."

true, but what you forgot is; what about the people who have done all that? that have their ships, and done their "pew pew", some of them have no reason to logg back into the game since they have done everything. and yes Crypitc is a company that needs money but after what they said 2018 was their best year and 2019 might be better. they are geting more money so its not thay big of an issue at the moment. and who is to say you can do you "fav star trek captain" and the longer TFO? like a actual long term mission. f.eks do nemeis a a mission where you will be chassed by a scimitar. who would not want to do that?
  • Options
    lordmerc22 wrote: »
    Right now he got for example the ground dranuur instance that is needed for colony provisions and most people avoid it make it often hard to get a full team even if its something needed for fleets. Also on the games that do have raids(most themeparkey games) they are losing gradually more and more popularity. Smaller teams and small to mid duraction is just more practical

true. but there is still the point you have no massive impact unless you are the main DPSer/ers
    as my post said, in ISA 2 people can do the entire thing by them self and thus there is no need for me to do anything when im in thay kind of party. and yes i understand there are down and upps, but if you add it and dont remove anything i dont see many downs sides here
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    With unique rewards, absolutely.

Without unique rewards, nobody would play it.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with above posters this is unlikely to happen, because Cryptic is exclusively focused on Easy Mode for all content, all the time.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    The game was as oyu described, but was changed to easy mode because the players will cry havoc the second something comes along that isn't a five-minute auto win. And having items in the game that require actual effort or random drop chance, meaning some people might not get it, is literal violence and a human rights violation to them.

So it is unlikely the game will get "harder" or "more complex" again.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    They may have cried havoc but they certainly didn't let loose the dogs of war. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    They may have cried havoc but they certainly didn't let loose the dogs of war. ;)

No, but they threw fits and threatened to ragequit pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    With unique rewards, absolutely.

Without unique rewards, nobody would play it.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with above posters this is unlikely to happen, because Cryptic is exclusively focused on Easy Mode for all content, all the time.

of course they do. I don't have exact numbers, but I suspect 70% of the player base are casual/beginner types another 20% dedicated players who are yourfleet types, another 7% the majority of the DPS clubs, and the last percentages the elites... the ones who TRIBBLE at the enemy and do 50K dps while the OP wants itto be challeneging, you CANNOT challenge that top 20% without making it impossible for the 70%.. and most of the cash for keeping the hamsters fed come from the 70%.
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    Players care about things they have reason to care about.
  • Options
    There is no reason to care about raids.

Even if they put the ultra super top tier omega item of doom in it, 99% of the playerbase won't give two flips because most people who play games don't care about getting the best items in the game.
    The incessant whining about this or that item being "too hard" to get indicates otherwise.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    There is no reason to care about raids.

Even if they put the ultra super top tier omega item of doom in it, 99% of the playerbase won't give two flips because most people who play games don't care about getting the best items in the game.
    The incessant whining about this or that item being "too hard" to get indicates otherwise.
    How many people actually complain about, assuming there's no account reuses I can remember maybe dozen posters here on the forums complaining about things being too hard. In a game with thousands of players that's hardly a signifigant number.

• Options
    wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    The entire counter argument to OP's post is the thread "TFOs way too difficult."

That thread covers all the reasons that the proposed longer raid missions with fail would be not work well.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Forget it. This is not the game for that kind of angst.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
This discussion has been closed.