test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Help me prepare character for Sompek next week - review gear & ground traits.

wraithmeisterwraithmeister Member Posts: 392 Arc User
The STO calendar shows 3 weeks of Sompek starting next week.

Sometimes I get in groups that want to go the distance rather than suicide after lvl 5 for the daily event ticket. I'm looking for tips on gear/trait tips to help survive the later rounds (50+).

I did OK last year depite having almost no crit chance/severity and lesser gear.

However, after about level 50'ish I'd start hitting a lot of problems such as one of the sompek enemies that is a sniper and would one-shot me with over 1000 damage. If anyone knows of any ground personal trait or rep trait that can prevent that level of one-shot sniper damage from killing me, please let me know.

So this year I'm looking for some gear and trait suggestions to both improve my dps and to prevent one-shot deaths from things other than lightning.

My current Engineer character with the gear and the traits below has:
880 health
35% crit chance
150% crit severity

Also will use Intelligence + Commando specializations.

Gear:
- CQC armor (high resist, 10% crit chance, 40% crit severity)
- Na'kuhl shield (damage imunity once per minute on low shield)
- Adv Herald Antiproton Beam (349 DPS, chains to extra enemies)
(This is my preferred weapon for Sompek also due it's long range. Other weapons have less range and cannot reach all enemies in arena unless you run to them).
- Na'huhl weapon in secondary slot for 2-piece bonus (+2% crit chance, +30% crit severity)
- Gambling Device (10% crit chance, 10% crit severity, 15% dodge)
- Lots of large Hypo's.

Kit Modules (Engineering, Universal)
Nanite Health Generator - because I'm generous and offer area for team to regen hp.
Chroniton Mine Barrier - Easy to lure many sompek enemies into them for fast kill.
Beam Turret (often spawn 3 at a time due to doffs)
Sompek Lightning - fast targeted AE damage
Ambush Turrets - Good burst of damage for module that has only 8 seconds downtime

Personal Ground Traits:
Lucky - 3% crit chance
Creative - +30 kit module performance
Vicious - Damage buff increases over time to 5 stacks: +7.5% damage, +30% crit severity
Orbital Devastation - Nuke beam from space follows enemies around.
Soldier - +5% damage, +10% crit severity
Technophile - +100 kit perf after using kit module
Rifle Training - +5% damage (will upgrade to Superior Rifle later today)
Field Technician - +50 kit readiness
Aggressive - 5% kit damage.

Ground Rep traits:
Magnified Armaments - +6.3% dmg
Lethality - +5% crit chance
Deadly Aim - +20% crit severity
Energized Nanites - 6% of outgoing damage heals me.
Emergency Personal Cloaking Device - 7 seconds of 75% bonus dmg and 3000 stealth at 30% health. I only use this on sompek (it replaced a 5% damage trait)

Active Rep Ground:
One Little Ship - Runabout warps in and torpedoes my enemies.
Piezo-Electric Perimiter Snare - targeted AE damage.
Medical Nanite Cloud - Ally AE heal and rez
Defiance - Damage resist but has to be manaually activated at low health, so not much help if I get one-shot, plus has long recharge time.
I could swap in a couple of other active ground effects but they dont seem very effective (like the AE shield damage one).

Comments

• koppsterkoppster Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    Sto DPS League has some great suggestions for ground builds for Sompek. Looks solid, but I have very little experience with playing an engineer on ground, so unsure if its optimum.
  • feliseanfelisean Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    for the modules you should check out our suggestions at sto-league.com :)
    your gear choices seems reasonable
  • bossheisenbergbossheisenberg Member Posts: 603 Arc User
    I've achieved +100 rounds numerous times - here is my advice for your build:

First off, you're an engineer but your entire build is set up for tactical. You have almost nothing for survival. You need to completely re-think this build. Especially if you are doing pre-mades, you should let the tac toons focus on the DPS. I would allow at least 2-3 personal traits and 1-2 ground traits for survival, and as an engineer maybe even more. Get stuff like Molt - passive heal, Blissful Agony - passive heal plus control resistance which is very useful in Sompek, the trait from that Tzenkethi ground mission (forgot the name) and also the damage resistance trait from the Emperor's lockbox Show No Weakness. For ground rep traits that energized nanites is trash, it was nerfed a long time ago and there are better options. One that gives damage immunity and one that gives increased resistance with lower health are two good options.

Another thing you are lacking is anything that helps the whole team. I usually allow for at least one kit that gives a teamwide boost. Stuff like motivation or coordinated synergies for tactical, I don't know what engineering has. You should do this in a pre-made at least. Some kits that will really save your #@# are feign disintegration and the mudd kit from the Disco rep.

Your gear looks good. Devices are a missed opportunity as all you list are hypos. Use the gamble device and then swap it out for kit boosters, shard of possibilities, consumables from winter and summer events (bajoran mojito, soda, chocalate passion punch, Nog's nog etc.).

Do not use tribbles, they are worthless and cancel out some buffs that are far superior. Get the ground boost from starbase. Use the antiproton boost from the Omega rep.

Also what doffs are you using? I recommend getting the biochemist that reduces recharge time on hypos.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions. :p

• tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    Oh, I have a good one for engineers. It's called bio-harmonic emitter, from the Temporal rep. It gives the entire team ~1200 temp hp and 15 heal/s regardless of distance from you and line of sight.

Another good engineer-only module is flare mortar, which gives a good dodge chance to all allies in a 30 or 35 meter radius. This, and all other fabrications are affected by the bio-harmonic emitter module as well as the healing from the alternative fire mode on the Lukari rep weapon.

For personal survival, the universal module Phasic Shroud is cheap and effective. It slows movement, but gives 1000+ temp hp and a lot of dodge chance.
  • tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    The build I used the last time I got above round 40 or so was Flare Mortar/Bio-harmonic/Methuselah drone/Explosive Drone and Phasic Shroud. Granted, the rest of the team was tacs who knew their stuff pretty well.

I would set down the mortar to help reduce incoming damage, use bio-harmonic to keep it and the team out of 1-shot range, use Phasic to keep myself alive, then spit out drones as they were available.

My armor was the Privateer's Combat Armor from the lobi store, so between that, phasic, and crouching, I had Dodge applied to pretty much all incoming hits.