What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

trading in feather monkeys

2»

Comments

• Options
    siotaylorsiotaylor Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    The problem is the downtime between. Artifact or Horgy hunt only takes 2-3 minutes, but has a 10 minute cooldown. Sandcastles and Floaters the same... so you can't do these things continuously.
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    I'm assuming enough toons, 6 or maybe 7 should be sufficient. Granted: extra costs for floaters but it will pay off sooner rather than later.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    xyquarze wrote: »
    I'm assuming enough toons, 6 or maybe 7 should be sufficient. Granted: extra costs for floaters but it will pay off sooner rather than later.

Gotcha... didn't think of that... but then, since LOLnuts can only be used to buy cosmetics, and ways to make LOLnuts faster, then there's a limit to how many one needs. Unless the Summer event consoles and kits are actually useful, but I've not really investigated.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    siotaylor wrote: »
    LOLnuts can only be used to buy cosmetics (...) there's a limit to how many one needs.

Two sentences do not compute. Space Barbie is endgame stuff, you can never have enough of it ;)

TBH, the "real game stuff" ain't half bad, but is not really needed.

Also, nuts do sell well on the exchange if you get the right moment to sell. Not the most efficient way but pretty good since I actually like doing the events unlike some other grinding methods. That's why all of my toons have top floaters and powerboards, baseball stuff and emotes, all kinds of summer clothing ... well, my newest ones didn't buy them yet, but the nuts are there.
  • Options
    siotaylor wrote: »
    LOLnuts can only be used to buy cosmetics (...) there's a limit to how many one needs.

Two sentences do not compute. Space Barbie is endgame stuff, you can never have enough of it ;)

TBH, the "real game stuff" ain't half bad, but is not really needed.

Also, nuts do sell well on the exchange if you get the right moment to sell. Not the most efficient way but pretty good since I actually like doing the events unlike some other grinding methods.

I'll have to look into that then... Thing is, I've unlocked the space-barbie (barbarella?) stuff... There needs to be more, and better. I'm not interested in silly baseball gear... They need to update the formal wear and seriously, the club outfit is so 1980s. Even the swimsuits are starting to look dated by now.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I don't sell the nuts, I generally just try to stockpile them in case something comes out the next year that I might want or I make a new toon between events. I also sometimes distribute the nuts through the family who can't play nearly as much as I do.

Which is why I do their Flying Highs for them, so they can have the ships. Only takes about half an hour to do everyone. Then I'm free to farm on one of my other accounts.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I used many thousands that I had previously saved up on my Discovery Character. Doffs, Kit Modules, Boff Training Manuals, an Impulse Floater. That is my only Character doing anything on Risa this year.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    When I need Lolwhuts, I just run the Horgahn Hunt on 5 characters (I can't manage to complete it on 6 in 15m). I sold 3-4k of them last month, and still have 12k left for next time, so I've only been doing my Flying High for the ship. (plus, all my characters are caught up on their reps except for Discovery, so I've no need to farm eggs. Which was the other reason I had so many favors saved.)

Meanwhile, my main is still working off the monkey tags that I got doing the race the first couple years. So, yeah - those tags will last you quite awhile. ;)
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    kiralyn wrote: »
    I can't manage to complete it on 6 in 15m

It is close, and when you have a major error or connection hiccup it is gone.

Some hints to squeeze out the extra seconds in case you're (or anybody else) is not that far off the next completed tour:

(a) Impulsive floater (obviously)

(b) Get the Risa or Lohlunat tribble. Make it a habit to pet it during the first flight phase (you don't have to stop for it, it doesn't slow you down) even if you know that you still have 58 minutes on, just for that one time where you didn't.

(c) Find and learn your route (or two routes). Know it by the landscape surrounding you, not by the minimap (e. g. "between those two bushes"). You want to know where your destination is even before the interact glimmer appears. Hint: even though all horga'hn are "twinned", it isn't in my experience necessarily the best to do the "same" route on both possible runs.

(d) Get your toons to the starting point ahead of time. If they're only at a beam in point, you won't be able to make it, if you have to use site-to-site transfer, you're out.

(e) Ideally have the assigned toons occupy place 1-6 on your roster. Alternatively: know exactly where they are so change goes quickly. You do not have to wait for the graphics to fully load, you can already log in when the button turns colored.

(f) (I'm on PC, cannot comment on console): Do NOT use the mouse in the talk windows with the hunt master. Do NOT close the window with the "Exit" line but with ESC. You always want the first option anyways, it gets locked in, so you can just use "F" there.

(g) (again PC): I always fly only using the mouse (keep left button pressed for movement, right button plus mouse movement to steer), the only keys I use are "F" to interact and "S" to slow my approach on horga'hns. Make sure you are completely stopped before pressing "F", otherwise you'll lose precious time when the collection aborts.

(h) You do NOT have to land to collect horgys, try to stay on your floater all the time. Even if you overshoot and getting there on foot would be quicker, use the opportunity to hone your flying skills, especially stopping at the right place. Assign a key close to WASD to the floater so you can quickly get in the air again if for whatever reason you drop (I use 1 - you don't need weapons on Risa anyway). Also, while the picking up takes place, you can already use the mouse and the right button to turn towards your next destination.

(i) If collecting on top of ridges, try to get to the appropriate height ahead of time, approach them quite high and horizontally or at a slightly downward angle to avoid nasty bounce-offs.

(j) Practice makes perfect. It took me a couple of days from "I just started my 6th run when time runs out" to "I have 30 seconds to spare after the last run". Use the time even if you know you won't complete a run (again practice)

(k) If you have network or other issues and really want the extra seconds: shut down all programs hogging resources, especially those using the net a lot (like browsers - especially with many tabs - or teamspeak)

(l) My routes. These are not the best I know but a good combination of "effective", "conveniently reachable to fulfill (d)" and "small distance between the first set, so I don't have to travel far for the first". Others may have others.

I start at the SW tip of the island, close to the ridge "left" of the beach in front of the hotel, at the first horga'hn of tour A - it takes me slightly longer, so this allows for a more consistent, less tour dependent time schedule. This is only a short flight from the beam in point, so placing toons should be a breeze.

Between (4) and (5) of both tours, a horga'hn on the Bay Rock (east end of the Promenade Bridge) seems close but will take you way off, avoid that one.

A1) On the ground east of the rock, between three sets of flowers.
    A2) East by North-East (ENE for short) over the western part of the hotel to a rock directly behind the hotel, on its NE corner
    A3) ENE up to the high ridge (see hint i - approach high), at it's northern end you'll see three bushes, slightly S of the northernmost
    A4) NE to the eastern beach, There is a solitary rock N of the promenade, on its north side. No 180 required, go down steeply, beware of bounces
    A5) NNW There is a path going W (inland) from the beach starting with two large trees. End of that path there is another large tree with two small trees between it and a steep slope. Behind those two smaller trees. Once you know where it is, don't go there via the path but diagonally.
    A6) Directly up said steep slope straight N, once over the top past the large tree towards the small island (connected by the 2nd stone arc). East of the rock are some "roots", horgy is under them. (Many prefer a different route here)
    A7) W Over the rock I mentioned, over the water on the other side there are roots on the slope. Again under the roots
    A8) N on top of the ridge (see hint i)
    A9) SW to WSW you see a distinct cut/pass in the ridge (the one north of the Rive Grotto) behind a slightly higher "peak", directly on the highest point of the pass.
    A10) A very short trip NW over the ridge on its north side. This one's a bit tricky due to there being no "landmark" plant or similar

B1) W of you (if you started at A1) behind the rock, smack down in the middle of the two trees on the ridge. Hint i
    B2) Again, ENE over the western part of the hotel, between the two tourist paths (the western one is the Jungle Road from Flying High) there's a thicket of trees in which you can barely see a dark rock. Directly S of the rock. This one is the most tricky one IMO, since you'll have to see the spot, navigate the trees, bouncing is difficult to avoid, stopping at the correct spot also takes practice.
    B3) E up the same ridge as in A3, this time between the two southern bushes mentioned. Again, navigating the trees can be tricky, so I take a slight detour south out of the woods and fly past the two giant trees on the south side. If you're cocky you can use the direct path. Again see hint i for the high approach on the horga'hn
    B4) NNE over the promenade building you'll see a rock on the W (land) side of the beach. As you approach it, a small bush will be visible (may at first be blocked by foliage). Under said bush.
    B5) Entrance of the path mentioned in A5, between the two large trees and two smaller ones behind them. Also a bit tricky. Again, you don't have to be completely spot on, slightly outside this quadrangle will work.
    B6) NE on top of the ridge (leading to the Mok'bara Stone Arc). Hint i
    B7) NW you see some smaller rocks at the N side of the island, one has a distinct dent. Head directly for the dent, directly NW of it (i.e. behind it) is the horgy
    B8) WSW over (or past) the rock of the island. On its W side there are some roots, under them. This one can be a bit tricky again due to the 180 you have to take and the roots being able to block your view on the horga'hn, so it has a smaller target area. Also if you already turn (directly W) for your next target (see hint h last sentence), you may not see the collection progress bar anymore - look at the reward pop up bottom left or the mission progress to the right of your screen to see when you completed it. In my experience the pop up is slightly quicker to show.
    B9) W through the arc down the River Grotto. On your right (N) side you'll see a slight incline (leading to the "pass" of A9). 2/3rds up this incline
    B10) short distance N over the "pass" on the northern path out, in a small bend. Again a bit tricky - no landmarks, slightly confined space

It is also useful to know some "emergency exits" if for whatever reason you didn't complete one pickup and are short one. In this case if you notice it in time the "twins" of A8 and B6 (which aren't in the other tour) can come in handy, otherwise if you only notice it at the end my go-tos are the two around Sovek's camp.

Hope this helps
    Post edited by xyquarze on
  • Options
    yossarian1971#5867 yossarian1971 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    7t7iwm3ayjg21.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=37201b3372f77a86ff07e9ccf785482127d2fa93
  • Options
    Are you trying to tell azrael he's not allowed to post his opinion?
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    Temporal artifacts can be as quick as a minute or two. There are multiple tricks to making it faster. Map, arc refinement, triangulation. If you're really good, 5 minutes is slow.

So with that information, a little testing, and the fact the amount is a bit more luck based (proximity to dig site, going in good directions in the beginning), I'll roughly amend to

Horga'hn Hunt: ~100 lohlunat favors in 2.5 minutes=40/min
    Race (1st) 75 in 3 minutes=25/min
    Artifact Hunt: 50 in 2 to 3 minutes=16.67 to 25/min
    Race (2nd) 50 in 3 minutes=16.67/min
    Race (3rd) 25 in 3 minutes=8.33/min
    Dance party: 100 in 12 minutes=8.33/min
    Sand castles: 20 in 2.5 minutes=8/min
    Race (participation): 15 in 3 minutes=5/min
    Race (disqualified): 0 in 3 minutes=0/min

Which would make a "full schedule" of 90 minutes result in

600 horgy+600 arty+300 racy+100 dancy+100 sandy (wedged in after the races and dance party)=1700 in 90 minutes or 1127/hour

Also 48 tags and an egg or two

I guess it is more realistic to drop the Castles and allow for a race or two not won, so 900/hr should be a good outcome.
    Based on those numbers, I'd say the optimal priority list for lolfarming would be:
    1. Run the horgans when it's on, on as many toons as you have time for
    2. Prerun artifact mission to turn in during the bonus on every toon you have
    3. Do the races and/or the dance party (depending on if you often win 1st/2nd in the races or not) only if you can artifact all toons with time to spare
    4. Never do sandcastles (unless you're running a single toon and need something to fill gaps with)
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Temporal artifacts can be as quick as a minute or two. There are multiple tricks to making it faster. Map, arc refinement, triangulation. If you're really good, 5 minutes is slow.
    So with that information, a little testing, and the fact the amount is a bit more luck based (proximity to dig site, going in good directions in the beginning)
    Yeah, some locations are just a lot farther away and as a result take longer to get to.
    warpangel wrote: »
    This does work rather well actually.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    Based on those numbers, I'd say the optimal priority list for lolfarming would be:
    3. Do the races and/or the dance party (depending on if you often win 1st/2nd in the races or not) only if you can artifact all toons with time to spare
    4. Never do sandcastles (unless you're running a single toon and need something to fill gaps with)

Since I normally don't artifact, I totally forgot the prerun thing (used to work with sandcastles, too, when they still were an event and way more worthwhile). So you're correct in terms of lolnut farming. However, Horgahn and Races also give eggs/monkey tags, resulting in marks, possibly resulting in dil. Horgahn should be run anyway, but with regular placement I think races are still worth more than prerun artifacts. Depends on what you want and what you need of course. And we have to take into account that beaming to the promenade, assigning monkey doff missions, and getting back to where you want to be will also take some time off your schedule, 1-2 minutes depending on how many monkeys you rise and where you want to leave your toon.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Some vacation. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    > @ltminns said:
    > Some vacation. :)

Everyone grinds on holiday, everyone, everywhere in every reality...

That's why we come home needing another one to recover.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

Since I normally don't artifact, I totally forgot the prerun thing (used to work with sandcastles, too, when they still were an event and way more worthwhile). So you're correct in terms of lolnut farming. However, Horgahn and Races also give eggs/monkey tags, resulting in marks, possibly resulting in dil. Horgahn should be run anyway, but with regular placement I think races are still worth more than prerun artifacts. Depends on what you want and what you need of course. And we have to take into account that beaming to the promenade, assigning monkey doff missions, and getting back to where you want to be will also take some time off your schedule, 1-2 minutes depending on how many monkeys you rise and where you want to leave your toon.
    Yes, if you always win the race, it's better than artifacts. However, only one person per instance can win a race. Unless there are very few racers in the instance, most of them will be left with the consolation prize. Whereas artifacts give guaranteed full reward for everyone. Therefore, statistically it's better for the average player to do artifacts, unless they're really bad at it or have so few toons with floaters they have time to spare.
  • Options
    I find that the Closer/Farther indicators work better than the scanner cone and I can constantly fly and search. I can get at least four toons through artifact as long as any one toon doesn't take too long. If you know approximately where the artifacts are located then it's easier to find them with closer/farther. There are maps that show artifact locations and a few trips will have you familiar with them. Therefore, with each artifact hunt I can net 200 favors. Much better than any race.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • Options
    Yes, if you always win the race, it's better than artifacts. However, only one person per instance can win a race. Unless there are very few racers in the instance, most of them will be left with the consolation prize. Whereas artifacts give guaranteed full reward for everyone. Therefore, statistically it's better for the average player to do artifacts, unless they're really bad at it or have so few toons with floaters they have time to spare.

No, I probably misstated. I agree with you that artifacts are way better than races for the average player in terms of lolnut farming.

I just wanted to add the additional point that apart from lolnuts, races give tags which are another helpful reward you don't get from other activities and may make races more interesting than they are if you consider lolnuts alone.
  • Options
    Although, talking about races I had the funniest rubberbanding just a minute or so ago. Shortly after the start apparently the whole zone was hit. All the fast powerboards were suddenly driving against the wall and it took quite a while to get back to the slow boards to secure 2nd place in the end ...
  • Options
    yossarian1971#5867 yossarian1971 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    ktonof1aq wrote: »
    Any chance that we could trade these in for Discovery Marks?

Hope you saved your birds and monkeys. If you did you are a very happy camper. (Discussion of moderation removed. - BMR)

Today's patch notes:
    "Discovery Marks have been added to all sources of "Choice of All Marks" packages/rewards available throughout the game."

Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    7t7iwm3ayjg21.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=37201b3372f77a86ff07e9ccf785482127d2fa93
  • Options
    trekkiejedigirl#9564 trekkiejedigirl Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    I usually run 6-7 characters through the summer event. And two of these are from previous summer thus they already had their floaters & boards which helped get the new ones for the newer characters. I'm planning to rotate two out before August (to replace with 2 new) as I'm going on Vacay during the last two weeks of the month (Summer event should be over by then) although I will be taking my gaming laptop up with me so I can login and play a lil.

I really love the birds. I still haven't gotten that special one yet tho.

And as for those races? Will some of you look me up in game so I can get some competition? I'm getting tired of winning, lol.
  • Options
    blackshap9#1072 blackshap9 Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    i make 600 favors in 15 mins

6 toons playing hunt and i even have over a min left over to set up all my toons for next run

although it has been super laggy/rubberbanding to the point of being unplayable I have still been able to complete six toons 99% of the time easily.
  • Options
    although it has been super laggy/rubberbanding to the point of being unplayable I have still been able to complete six toons 99% of the time easily.

Check your line outside for squirrels, lol. They had mine and another persons all chewed up causing bad rubberbanding and connection issues.
  • Options
    tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 292 Arc User

6 toons playing hunt and i even have over a min left over to set up all my toons for next run

<Nods sagely> Yep, you're squirrelly, man.

Protect your nuts!
  • Options

<Nods sagely> Yep, you're squirrelly, man.

Protect your nuts!

Lol, my thoughts exactly, he, he, heeeee!
  • Options
    jayhratjayhrat Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    The buried artifacts in the scavenger hunt (much like the horgons) always spawn at certain locations, just narrow down the area and check the known locations.

As for the Horgon Hunt, with a superior floater, you can do the run at least 4 times.

Also if you want to wait between dances/ hunts you could always do a STF or two.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    OK, made a tutorial on how to do triangulation and the heading refinement trick.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDwcOTXjhvs
    And here's a second one where I just run through the steps as quick as I can
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuhVPZZaOHY
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    Those are great tutorials.

I find once I get a direction that getting on my floater and using Closer/Farther works pretty well.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
This discussion has been closed.