test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

make the tfo really random

sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
could you please the next time you add a reputation, not to put the new stfs in the random system. Because with these missions added, tfo are not anymore random, like everybody want the disco marks. I spend my time in starbase 1.

about the borg stfs, I don't understand why everybody wants to do them; first of all they suck and it is just a dps fiesta. they should be removed from the random system, and if players want to do the dps race then they can create private runs.

I spend my time to leave again, again and again the borg stfs, because they spawn all the time. i'm ok to do isa, kva, 1 time but not 5,6,7 times or more. when in the endeavour "do 1 borg tfo" appears, I don't even try to push the button random.

the random tfo's should be really random, some stfs never spawn; vicious cycle for example.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    So, Cryptic created a...false impression...by using the term "random". In truth, this system was NEVER intended to actually be "random". The purpose of this system is to allow people who wanted to play un-popular TFOs to actually find a team. So the way it works is when you click the "random" button you are assigned to ANY waiting TFOs that need team members.

It's not "random", it's wherever team members are needed. And it's also done in order, meaning the person who formed a TFO 5 minutes ago should get filled before the person who formed it 1 minute ago. Of course, this means whatever the most popular TFO at any given time is going to be happening more than others, so you have a greater chance of getting in SB1 than less popular TFOs.

Maybe you already know all of this, but I'm putting it out there for those who don't. Anyway, if there is a certain TFO you actually want to play (you mentioned Vicious cycle) then the onus is on you to queue up for that. And then the system will match you with a team.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    yes, I know all of that :)
    I'm ok to play at all the stfs, my pleasure is in the surprise to discover what foes I must fight. the problem is that this is always the same stfs again and again. the same crappy borg stfs. I do the ground stfs even though I'm not really good.
    Anyway, if there is a certain TFO you actually want to play (you mentioned Vicious cycle) then the onus is on you to queue up for that. And then the system will match you with a team.

i'm going to try, even if I have few hope, most of the players will leave because this is not Isa, Kva, hse. :p

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    The RTFO join button doesn't always do a random spin. A lot of the time it just throws you into a PUG for a queue that needed more people to start. So if there's one guy in the Viscous Cycle queue it might throw you into that.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    The RTFO join button doesn't always do a random spin. A lot of the time it just throws you into a PUG for a queue that needed more people to start. So if there's one guy in the Viscous Cycle queue it might throw you into that.

As mentioned above, it's actually not random at all. It has an "impression" of being random in the sense that YOU don't know where you are going, but in reality the system is simply filling up teams in the order they were formed. You aren't assigned randomly, you are assigned to whatever team needs spots and is the oldest waiting team.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    yes, and like everyone wants to do the borg stuff, i spend my time to leave these stfs.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    The random queue is random as in "unpredictable," not random as in "dice roll." Exactly as it's supposed to.

As always, if you have preference for what you want to play, queue it directly. The random is for people who will play anything. Leaving randoms because you didn't get what you want is rude.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    yes, and like everyone wants to do the borg stuff, i spend my time to leave these stfs.
    shockingly that includes Becky....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    warpangel wrote: »
    The random queue is random as in "unpredictable," not random as in "dice roll." Exactly as it's supposed to.

As always, if you have preference for what you want to play, queue it directly. The random is for people who will play anything. Leaving randoms because you didn't get what you want is rude.

like i said, I have no preferences, this is why I use the button "random". but most of the time, it is always a crappy borg stf.

btw, if I use the random tfos, it is aso because it was the possibility to make something different, and help players to earn marks.
    Leaving randoms because you didn't get what you want is rude.

well, when you have done already 4/5 times or more ISA (most of the time with players who don't care about the team, but just want to parse their dps), at the the sixth times, i'm in right to leave. my patience is limited and i have enough omega marks for 3 lifes.

maybe the word "random" should be modified.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User

Correct. This is the only response needed to anyone who has a problem with landing a random TFO that they don't like. Don't like ground? Queue up the space TFO of your choice. Don't like Disco or Omega stuff? Queue up something else. Let the other random people join you.
    well, when you have done already 4/5 times or more ISA (most of the time with players who don't care about the team, but just want to parse their dps), at the the sixth times, i'm in right to leave. my patience is limited and i have enough omega marks for 3 lifes.

maybe the word "random" should be modified.

Maybe your expectations should be modified. You aren't entitled to anything when you choose to go random.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options

like i said, I have no preferences, this is why I use the button "random". but most of the time, it is always a crappy borg stf.
    Not wanting to do "a crappy borg stf" is a preference.
    Leaving randoms because you didn't get what you want is rude.

Then don't queue the random in the first place.
  • Options
    I'd just like to point out that a truly random option would contradict the INTENT of this system. This system is specifically designed to fill empty slots in the OLDEST waiting TFO match.

A true random would not do that, and would keep the oldest waiting TFO sitting there while people are randomly plugged into even newer waiting matches. That is exactly what the devs don't want to happen. They want the oldest waiting matches to always fill up first.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    The best the devs could possibly do is put a cooldown on the TFO that you just did so that you can't be "randomly" dropped into it again so soon after having done it. But I'm assuming there's a reason they didn't do that to begin with.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    The best the devs could possibly do is put a cooldown on the TFO that you just did so that you can't be "randomly" dropped into it again so soon after having done it. But I'm assuming there's a reason they didn't do that to begin with.

I thought they did change it so you have the standard 30 min CD on TFO's that you land in random.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

about the borg stfs, I don't understand why everybody wants to do them; first of all they suck and it is just a dps fiesta. they should be removed from the random system, and if players want to do the dps race then they can create private runs.

I want you to stop for a moment and think about what you're saying here..

You don't like doing Borg runs.. that's fair. But you say that 'everybody wants to do them' and then you ask for them to be removed from the random queue. Don't you think that perhaps that comes across as a bit selfish? You want something that you yourself admit is enjoyable to the mass player base removed because it doesn't fit your personal preference?

When you click 'random' you could get just about anything. Personally, I think you're exaggerating a bit here because when I do Randoms I don't see Borg Queues nearly as often as you say. Starbase 1.. yeah, I pretty much always hit that one, and that's fine.. but I really don't think the Borg Queues are all that dominant in Randoms.

To touch on your other point, DPS runs generally are done in private. The runs you are seeing are public runs, it's not like people are using PUG runs to qualify for Diamond... they're not. What you're seeing is just general public runs and if you think they're doing some insane amount of DPS in comparison to you then I think that maybe the problem is you're falling behind. If that's the case and you want to take it up a notch, I am sure we can help you with that.

Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    We have a poll from not so long ago which clearly shows that the majority of players are against removing maps from the RTFO system due to things like individual dislikes.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1249208/more-maps-to-be-removed-from-the-rtfo-system/p1

Don’t get me wrong OP. I have individual dislikes as well. They weight even so heavily after a few months into this system that I pretty much gave up on RTFOs from the random perspective altogether.

What I do appreciated however and make frequent use of is that the maps I select directly pop after a short timeframe as they are filled with other players lining up for RTFOs. The system remains mega useful for me that way.
    most of the time, it is always a crappy borg stf.
    I realy suggest you do the same. It’s either that or see you in Borg TFO. :#
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Since "randomness" is quite a pet peeve of mine due to my education (I have a masters in maths, specifically with a thesis on stochastic processes) I feel the need to repeat many things already said and this is not directed at anybody specific. Feel free to ignore anything after this.

(a) As has been pointed out, there are two ways you can use "random" - unpredictability or "dice roll". Both have in common that it is out of your control what will happen, the latter additionally out of anybody's control (as far as they're aware). You can shift probabilities (e.g. if Undine TFOs were to be more likely to be played in the morning hours, you can queue up at that time) but not predict an outcome.

(b) That being said, even the "dice roll" randomness doesn't mean "everything has the same probability". Dice roll as a shortcut gives a wrong impression here, but to stay in the picture think loaded dice - they're still random.

(c) even though it is true that pseudo randum number generators do not produce pure random, there is no way for a human (without proper computer assistance and a deeper understanding than mine of probability theory) to find that out with the newer ones. The problems start with complicated testing methods after billions of "rolls". If a modern pseudo RNG is implemented properly, there is no feasible way to "game the system". Some people even say there is no randomness at all since everything is decided by applying physical laws to the state of the universe. Since there is no way to find that out (Heisenberg) and no way to compute all of this (which would need a computer larger than the universe outside of it), that question is more philosophical than of practical relevance though.

(d) humans are, by evolution, not really designed to observe randomness. It was always an evolutionary advantage to find patterns in what appears random so we tend to see patterns even if there are none whatsoever. And we misestimate results due to living with many non random seemingly random things in our life. When bridge (the card game) switched to hands generated by a computer's RNG, people were upset that hands were so different to what they were used to (odds of getting a high scoring hand changed significantly), but that was because it wasn't as evenly distributed before due to how the game is played and how cards are shuffled (even with the Vegas shuffle). And, as has been said, we all tend to seriously underestimate the probability of repititions in longer runs.

Back on topic (people heeding the advice from the first paragraph will not read this): the RTFOs do what they're designed to do. Any possible change to that because of personal preferences not being met can of course be talked about. But the idea of "really random", which I presume includes an equal distribution among all possible queues, will kill the idea of "filling up queues for people waiting", which I think was the main intent of the system. And personally, while I see a certain slant towards certain queues like SB1, I have played a way wider variety of queues in the last months than in the years before, and I am happy with that (though not with every single queue).

At the university my faculty's cafeteria was kinda small and had the same dishes all the time in a kind of heavy rotation. I liked them, they were good for a student to keep their tummy filled, they were simple (meat and fries mostly - but that's what students like to eat). But the university's main cafeteria offered more variety. Which could mean sometimes there were no options I liked. Still often made the 10-15 minutes walk, because after a couple of years even my favorite dishes got kinda boring and a more average choice which offered something different was more interesting.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    They did do that to begin with. The random queue obeys the standard 30min cooldown all queues have, so it is indeed impossible to be put into the same one twice in a row...except of course for someone like the OP who doesn't actually do them but "leave again, again and again."
  • Options
    I thought they had, too, but since the OP states that he keeps getting dropped in the same TFOs over and over, I figured maybe it wasn't working that way anymore. Of course, you make a good point, warpangel, if he drops out, then he never finished it. But shouldn't there then be a leaver penalty assessed for all TFOs?
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    I thought they had, too, but since the OP states that he keeps getting dropped in the same TFOs over and over, I figured maybe it wasn't working that way anymore. Of course, you make a good point, warpangel, if he drops out, then he never finished it. But shouldn't there then be a leaver penalty assessed for all TFOs?
    There should, but the system has loopholes to exploit.

Or he could just be changing toons. Leaver penalty is unfortunately not account-wide.
  • Options
    indeed, I switch to an other toon.
    An example, I played with my main, I do all the crappy borg stfs (all of them except the ground), I click for the last time for this toon on "random" and again ISA, so yes I left for using an other toon. i'm maybe naive, but again I use the random button, and boom! again ISA. sorry, but I'm just fed up to do these stfs.

usually, I don't leave the stfs even the ground (where I suck), I spent at least 25 min in edren IV, we were only 3 players, same thing during manus (20 minutes), but the space borg stfs, i'm just sick to do them again, again againx10. btw, I have never left starbase 1 even if i have done this stf already 4 times, because this stf is not boring.

+ during these borg stfs, I can see dpsers who don't want to play with others, players who try to do everything alone and failed, afkers who do the needed damage for not having a penalty, or players wo leave these stfs maybe tired to do for the umpteenth time the same stf.
  • Options
    Well, RNGesus! There's your "problem". If you're switching toons, then of course you're going to possibly end up in the same TFOs! No need to debate this anymore.
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    To make it really really random is to also allow you to drop into previously removed TFOs, reimaged for five players. Mine Trap, Terradome, No Win Scenario, etc. Ones that cannot be Queued up for directly from the TFO UI.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    So, Cryptic created a...false impression...by using the term "random". In truth, this system was NEVER intended to actually be "random". The purpose of this system is to allow people who wanted to play un-popular TFOs to actually find a team. So the way it works is when you click the "random" button you are assigned to ANY waiting TFOs that need team members.

It's not "random", it's wherever team members are needed. And it's also done in order, meaning the person who formed a TFO 5 minutes ago should get filled before the person who formed it 1 minute ago. Of course, this means whatever the most popular TFO at any given time is going to be happening more than others, so you have a greater chance of getting in SB1 than less popular TFOs.

Maybe you already know all of this, but I'm putting it out there for those who don't. Anyway, if there is a certain TFO you actually want to play (you mentioned Vicious cycle) then the onus is on you to queue up for that. And then the system will match you with a team.

But the problem is even if you queue for them you'll still be sitting around for who knows how long...I wanted Undine marks and was tired of disconnected....sitting there forever waiting for a queue to pop up I had enough time to wait to see disconnected come off cooldown and just ran it again.
  • Options
    lianthelia wrote: »

But the problem is even if you queue for them you'll still be sitting around for who knows how long...I wanted Undine marks and was tired of disconnected....sitting there forever waiting for a queue to pop up I had enough time to wait to see disconnected come off cooldown and just ran it again.
    Not many people seem to queue randoms anymore. Novelty's worn off I guess. And with endeavors requiring specific content, there is less demand for "just play anything."

But why didn't you queue random yourself, if all you wanted was undiemarks?
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    There is a Universal Endeavor to Play a Random TFO.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I did that one. Got put into a Bug Hunt. Did enough to not get a AFK after I fell and died at the last part and then couldn't respawn for some reason.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    I'd love to see a new roulette style TFO selector get implemented. It still isn't truly random but it would be hilarious to see whiners like the OP insta leave when they land IGA (Manus) on the first roll.
  • Options
    If players want to just roll the dice on a queue, they are free to roll actual dice for themselves, against whatever list they like, and then queue the result.
This discussion has been closed.