test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Seeking advice for a mine layer build

djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,379 Arc User
Hello all,
I have no idea if the Black ops mine launcher we just got is any good, but it reminded me that a mine layer focused build is one of the few playstyles I haven't tried yet. I've got a new character slot ready to go. Can you give me your advice to get started?

What mine launchers are good?
What are the best ships for mine launcher builds?
Should I go all mine launchers on the back, or just one?
Aside from the mines should I still focus the rest of my weapons on energy damage?

Thanks!
C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
-Captain James T. Kirk
Post edited by djf021 on

Comments

• borg0vermindborg0vermind Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    If you want a mine-layer build you definitely must have 3 mine layers for good spawn rate without loosing anything. I think if properly chosen you could even go for 4.

I'm currently using the Vorgon 3-5 ship as a mine layer tank. The setup ended up pretty well. I use 3 torps, 3 mine layers and 2 omni tetryon beams. I go in the middle of the enemies and start spawning mines using the 2 attack patters also. In maps like Swarm Adv. I can just stay mostly AKF or just move fw and back and my mines will keep a full line secure.

As for the sets, it depends on the play style, but in order to be able to be efficient on deployment, I use 3 different types, currently: bio-molecular due to DoT, black ops and plasma.

The rest of the weapons...it depends. Since I built a tank, I wanted not to invest skill points in energy, so I went 3 trops forward: plasma emission, photon for RoF and Breen Cluster, which I'm not sure if it does mine or torp damage but it's very good for such setup.

If you want a more attack ship than tank, then go tetryons forward as they help get rid of shields faster than others.

• darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,714 Community Moderator
    /necro
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.