test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Female character, pain sound effects.

snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
So for a while we've had the female scream when being attacked by a Elachi head thingy, or a fish in Q's winter wonderland.

Now with the recent update, it seems whenever a female character gets shot or attacked. She will often scream out in agony or grunt.

I am not at all happy with how this is portrayed, as the male characters in this game have no sound effects like these. It makes the female characters in the game seem a lot more weaker than their male counterparts when they constantly scream, moan and grunt when being injured / attacked.
Post edited by snowwolf#0563 on

Comments

• thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    It's just the same generic responses when the facehugger grabs you. I think the male does scream too though it's been so long since I've taken him into that mission.

My Gorn had the female scream once :O
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    You mean Cryptic's QA department didn't notice half the player options didn't have noises hooked up?

It's incompetence not malice.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • wraithknight#4461 wraithknight Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    Oh boy, one of "them" types 🤦‍♂️

It's just a game 😒

It's highly sexist to make all female characters in the game appear much weaker and fragile than their male counterparts with the constant pain sounds, when being shot.. Flinged by a melee weapon, or grabbed by an Elachi face hugger.

Meanwhile the male counterparts makes no sounds, there is a difference between having one weak female character or a couple as NPC's, and forcing this trait onto every female character.

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    Create a thread in the bug report subforum. Screaming when a facehugger grabs you is fine, but for all damage taken injury doesn't make sense.
    Create a thread in the bug report subforum. Screaming when a facehugger grabs you is fine, but for all damage taken injury doesn't make sense.

It's not a bug, it's a feature they added. You can tell by the way that all the new pain sound effects are new. They are not the basic old facehugger scream. But a new library of "Argh" "Owh" "Hnng" etc.. etc..
    edited April 2019

It's not a bug, it's a feature they added. You can tell by the way that all the new pain sound effects are new. They are not the basic old facehugger scream. But a new library of "Argh" "Owh" "Hnng" etc.. etc..

Ah, thanks. My captains are all male and I haven't played any ground maps with my away teams in the last couple of weeks.

I agree that the sounds should either be similar for both genders or they should revert this change and remove them.

valoreah wrote: »
    Not sure this is really a problem to be honest. Perhaps they haven't added the corresponding male sound VFX yet.

Portraying a female character as weaker than the male in every combat scenario she encounters in this game. By screaming, yelping, flinching and grunting in pain is sexist. And that is a problem.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    I haven't noticed anything like that yet, so I'll take the occurence as a factual statement.

And I wouldn't call it intentionally sexist, as has been stated already, never put down to malice what could be explained by incompetence.

But if this is happening (and not happening), it is indeed at least silly. And for those deriding this issue: if you would also think that "sounds for Fed characters, no sounds for KDF characters" (or vice versa) would be a non issue: okay, go on. If you would then scream "Craptic hatezz Klingons!!!!!!!" however ...
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Just took a few rounds of Shanty Town. My character does start screaming when taking damage.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • kaloriaa4kaloriaa4 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    Would you be screaming in pain if someone inflicted injury bodly harm on you? You make it sound like getting hurt is a bad thing like it some show of weakness or something. Guy or girl nobody loves pain. We are not robots we have feelings.
    kaloriaa4 wrote: »
    Would you be screaming in pain if someone inflicted injury bodly harm on you? You make it sound like getting hurt is a bad thing like it some show of weakness or something. Guy or girl nobody loves pain. We are not robots we have feelings.

The complaint is that right now * only women * feel pain. It's probably a bug, but left as-is it is sexist.

The problem here is that the male characters in the game does not many any sounds at all, if both were making sound effects based upon pain.. It would not be an issue, the main issue here is that the male character is completly silent. While the female character continues to scream, groan and grunt, flinching when getting attacked or injured in anyway.

Just walking off a ledge that's not tall will result in screaming, it's already annoying.

But the main problem is that the female character makes all these sound effects but the male does not. It portrays the female character as a lot weaker than the male one in the game.
  • kaloriaa4kaloriaa4 Member Posts: 86 Arc User

The complaint is that right now * only women * feel pain. It's probably a bug, but left as-is it is sexist.

Probably a bug or glitch. Let the devs know a fix will get added to the repair list. I'm sure a engineer will get on it soon.
    i have to agree with everything that Snowwolf has said.....its completely sexist to have the sound effects for the females but not for the males....i'm not going to bash the devs but please at least consider adding the sound effects that she described to the males otherwise its sexist or remove the sound effects from the females...either way its offensive to the women who play this game and those who are supporters of women's rights...

Yeah, for example take Saints Row 3 and 4. You can pick between playing a male or female character, each character has 3 different voice options each. With a different accent, they word things differently and so forth.

The female character might respond differently to situations than the male character does. etc.. etc..

However the good thing here is that the male and female character in Saints Row, both react to pain in somewhat the similar way. Both scream, grunt and flinch.

The biggest problem with Star Trek Online is that ONLY the female character does so, while the male character remains silent. If both male and female characters react to pain, damage and being attacked in somewhat the same matter then it would be okay.

The quarrel here is that only the female character displays signs of being weaker, by letting out sounds when getting attacked or injured. The male does not, making them seem stronger and more immune.

Star Trek Online must make it so both the female and male characters respond audible to pain and being attacked / injured. Or none of them should. If a NPC does it, that's okay because it's one or two characters. But here we are talking all characters...

It even seems that Borg female NPC's scream in pain when you shoot them, which is.. Weird.
  • slifox#0768 slifox Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    I think Snowflake has a legitimate concern. We fought for our male characters’ right to have skirts and got them. Who to say that men in the 25th century don’t scream like women?
    edited April 2019
    valoreah wrote: »
    Portraying a female character as weaker than the male in every combat scenario she encounters in this game. By screaming, yelping, flinching and grunting in pain is sexist. And that is a problem.

But... they aren't portrayed as weaker by any measure. There are a whole slew of female characters in game who are just as tough - if in fact not tougher - than their male counterparts. I mean I just don't see Leeta, Koren, Sela, Tasha Yar or Jarok as "weak" characters.

As I said before, for all anyone knows the male sound VFX may not have been finished/added into the game yet.

Cryptic has taken numerous steps to make the female characters more and more realistic, they've changed walking styles. Body shapes more and more. But adding female pain noises to combat, injuries etc. While leaving the male ones un-finished is quite litteraly a one step forward and five steps backwards approach.

If someone can confirm that the male characters are also getting pain sound effects added, then it'll be alright. So we'll wait for confirmation with that.

But if only the female characters are intended to display these audible sound effects during combat, that's going to be a big no in my book.
    I think Snowflake has a legitimate concern. We fought for our male characters’ right to have skirts and got them. Who to say that men in the 25th century don’t scream like women?

Yeah, Star Trek has always done a great job at displaying the female and male genders as equal except the obvious gender differences. And my name on the forum is SnowWolf, not Snowflake..
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Just look at the animations for the female Deferi in the Defera Borg Zone about to be assimilated. It looks like they have just been kicked in the 'jewels'.
    Post edited by ltminns on
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Oh boy, one of "them" types 🤦‍♂️

It's just a game 😒

It's highly sexist to make all female characters in the game appear much weaker and fragile than their male counterparts with the constant pain sounds, when being shot.. Flinged by a melee weapon, or grabbed by an Elachi face hugger.

Meanwhile the male counterparts makes no sounds, there is a difference between having one weak female character or a couple as NPC's, and forcing this trait onto every female character.

One could say it's highly sexist to perceive female characters as weak because they react differently than male characters to attacks.

Unless female characters are taking more damage from attacks their weakness is only in the minds of those choosing to see them that way.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,310 Community Moderator
    edited April 2019
    Ok. I'm going to stop this conversation about sexism right now. Making accusations against the devs or even other players in this thread is not going to be productive. If this is a bug of some kind, which sounds like it might be, then it will be fixed. I've already submitted some inquiries about it to see if the devs are aware. In the meantime, let's not attack each other or make accusations of one another. Thank you.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    knightfalz wrote: »
    One could say it's highly sexist to perceive female characters as weak because they react differently than male characters to attacks.

Unless female characters are taking more damage from attacks their weakness is only in the minds of those choosing to see them that way.

Nope, one couldn't without being wrong. Unless there is a good reason to treat different characters differently in a game like this (say, Gorn or Voth having different reactions to cold weather since they're cold blooded), there will always the question of "why", and different treatment without different circumstances connected to the issue at hand justifying them is the very definition of "discrimination".

But even if we take away sexism as a reason (which I will, because I very much doubt that that is the case), it is just plain silly to have randomly different reactions depending on gender or faction or whatever. I would also not be happy with valoreah's explanation of "male sounds not ready yet" because then the proper thing to do would have been to not implement it at all for both genders. Again similar to "oh, the Fed ship isn't ready yet, but we'll let the KDF guys'n'gals have fun with theirs for the 4 weeks it will take". So I will assume that it is just a bug or an oversight and will be corrected with next week's patch.

Still the same caveat: I take the OP's statement as fact, I haven't experienced it first hand.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    I noticed some new sounds today and couldn't quite place the origin at first. And I wondered if I just had missed this about some Vaadwaur weapon or something.

But apparently the noises come from Bridge Officers? Not sure they came also from my character.

I figure this might be unfinished work that wasn't supposed to be online yet.
    But I like the idea. But I would particularly like it for NPCs. A few shouts, ahs, ohs and urks could really liven up ground combat. The enemies really feel robotic with no sound.

Mustrum "Vaadwaur should fall over, shouting Mein Leben" Ridcully
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    i have to agree with everything that Snowwolf has said.....its completely sexist to have the sound effects for the females but not for the males....i'm not going to bash the devs but please at least consider adding the sound effects that she described to the males otherwise its sexist or remove the sound effects from the females...either way its offensive to the women who play this game and those who are supporters of women's rights...

You do not speak for me. You do not speak for all women who play this game. You speak for no one but yourself, period. Don't proclaim to speak for anyone else.

On topic, there is absolutely no reason to ascribe motive to whatever the reason is. We do not know. Proclaiming and assuming some sort of nonsensical sexism is idiotic. None of us are telepaths and cannot read minds of Cryptic Devs. Like so many other things in this game it could well be just another bug or a half implemented feature. It could also be something partially implemented to gain feedback.

Secondly, the fact is, human women are significantly weaker than men, on average. This is a genetic reality. They are also more neurotic than men, on average. This is a well documented psychological fact which again stems from genetic reality.

Of course we are talking about aliens too in this game, and they may or many not conform to the human reality. Humans have also, according to Trek, evolved, so such things may not be reality in the 25th century, and the game offers very few other suggestions that men and women are significantly different in physical or psychological terms, aside from obvious sexual differences. It has also been a tradition in games for a very long time that the only difference between male and female characters is aesthetic.

Therefore I think there are strong arguments for and against the sounds being one sided.

Personally, I find the sounds obnoxious and annoying, chiefly the facehugger scream. I wasn't aware there were no male sounds. I'd be happy to see the sounds removed if male sounds aren't added or planned to be added, but I'm certainly not going to scream nonsense like sexism, because even if it was, it has no effect of importance on any actual living person. No one is going to be denied a job or be otherwise abused because a female in STO screams like a girl.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I wouldn't even know. My earphones are plugged in and sound set off completely.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
This discussion has been closed.