test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How useful is the Hull Penetration skill?

misanthrope#6636 misanthrope Member Posts: 84 Arc User
Just as the title says, just how useful is it, but specifically only against PvE enemies such as the borg, voth, and tholians. I mean, how much resistances do these computer controlled ships actually have anyways?

Comments

• westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,205 Arc User
    If you stack all of the possible items that boost hull pen together it can be fairly useful but by itself the hull pen isn't that great considering how many abilities just naturally lower resistances.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Just as the title says, just how useful is it, but specifically only against PvE enemies such as the borg, voth, and tholians. I mean, how much resistances do these computer controlled ships actually have anyways?

It doesn't matter really how much resistances NPCs have. Even if they have none, armor penetration will lower it.

Armor Penetration is basically the same as negative damage resistance, but it is called differently to distinguish between resistance penalties applied generally to the enemy that will affect all attacks against him, and resistance penalties that only apply to your attacks (against any enemy).

So if you got X Hull Pen, it's the same as if the NPC had an additional -X Hull Resistance to your attacks.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • nephitisnephitis Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    I would get the skill but other than that I personally avoid any form of armor penetration. It does help but I think there are a lot of other more useful weapon modifiers, starship traits, reputation traits and consoles out there. Were you to combine everything you can increase your armor penetration by a lot but until you do I don't think it is worth it.

And by combine I mean things like [PEN] weapon modifier, Delta rep trait, Subwarp Sheath starship trait and Harmonic Resonance Relay console etc.

With your ability to stack on critical hit chance and critical damage I think it is better to go that route. There are a lot of consoles that will yield both critical and critical severity... not to mention the endgame Endeavour system that allows you to further increase it. You cannot increase armor penetration through that system.
  • odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    Its usefull. And plenty of things you can use to add MORE...Armor Pen is what your shooting for as it is the Stronger variant to Hull Penetration

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Skill:_Hull_Penetration

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.