test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

slowing the experience gain

i often find myself in the role of hand-holding for new players.

i am repeatedly comeing across lvl 50+ new players who are very confused. and many that have walked away from the game because of the game throwing the player in the deep end without a chance to experiment, learn, and get relatively good mission gear.

we often find ourselves at level 50 at the romulan ark.

this means that the player, who hasn't had many hours in the game, hasn't had much of a chance to get used to weapon types and hasn't even been introduced to the idea of set bonuses. or even the benefit of same weapon types and tactical console use.

there is often a lot of confusion having to swap ships too often due to the rapid level up, they hardly have enough time to get used to playing with bridge officer setups and learn how to use the skills and what they do. not only this, but due to the drops being for beginners at that point, they have to buy better equipment at the exchange to be competitive, and haven't hat the time to build up enough energy credits

the player is barely getting a handle on things when all of a sudden they have to worry about R&D PVE Queues admiralty reputation...ect ect ect.
its too fast and overwhelming.
it feels like you are standing on unsteady ground all of the time with no way to settle into a groove, or learn properly.

i think you should be reaching lvl 50 around when you get to the dyson arc.

this causes problems in pve, kid reaches lvl 50, feels forced into pve with free ship and bad gear/setup, barely puts a dent into anything, dies repeatedly. gets shouted at by a dps'er for being useless.

the road to 60 is rushed, and it wastes a lot of the mission content.

(as for experienced players who just want to level a new avitar, then just use the same sponsorship token system used in the reputation grind)
nerf.jpg]

Comments

• tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    The fast leveling isn't the problem, merely highlighting it. Even if new players didn't hit level 50 until every mission is played, all of the issues you mentioned would still be problems for a fresh end game player. The game needs to teach more, including that can go back to earlier missions to earn better gear, what set bonuses are, how to effectively setup a ship, etc.. Cryptic knows this and even asked for feedback for what they could teach better, but nothing has been implemented yet.

On the TFO issue, Cryptic has added those to the leveling process, so newbies are effectively getting thrown into those before even hitting 50. TFOs are tied to mission arcs now, so you can get into things way earlier, if you skip through every thing you can access to virtually all TFOs at level 10...