13»

Comments

• somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 5,898 Arc User
    edited March 9
    fury wrote: »
    Riight. The iconians, all 6 of them
    12 actually.
    No thought at all is given to how a race might ponder and think given a 200,000 year hiatus. Just revenge revenge revenge
    Except the Iconians didn't want revenge, they didn't even want to kill everyone, they wanted to conquer the galaxy to ensure no tragedy like the one that befell them happens again. Only T'ket wanted to murder everything in petty revenge, and L'Miren calls her out on it saying there is no point in ruling a galaxy of ghosts.

We are even shown at the end of the Iconian War that the Iconians originally just wanted to take the World Heart, go somewhere else, and start over alone. It was only after they lost the world Heart, which robbed them of all their culture, and knowledge, and forced them to be squatters in their own constructs for ages, that the Iconians undertook this revenge scheme.
    Nevermind the complete and utter lack of comprehension on the part of the writers what powers they invoke
    Except it is specifically mentioned in the Iconian War arc that Iconian technology hasn't progressed in 200,00 years for unknown reasons, reasons we find out later are due to the fact that the Iconians lost the World Heart, which contained all their knowledge it, leaving them as essentially squatters in their own constructs, only able to keep them running as is, and unable to make any real advancements.

And, again, the Iconians didn't want to kill everyone, using their powers to do so is counter to their own goals.
    There is no way this story line made any sense at all.
    OFC it didn't make sense to you, you don't seem to understand even the most basic parts of said storyline.
  • wingedhussar#7584 wingedhussar Member Posts: 84 Community Moderator
    Moderator warning: This thread is not about DSC. I have just split a dozen off-topic posts to a new thread in Ten Forward. The rule about not arguing about DSC anywhere else unless it directly pertains to the game is still in force.
    latest?cb=20171202101458

...THEN THE WINGED HUSSARS ARRIVED!
    Volunteer community moderator for the Star Trek Online forums. Not a Cryptic Studios or Perfect World employee.
  • After reading the tread following my last post, I now hope the op understands the answer to his question
    And now for a PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT time to get back to the grind of polishing the bugs off my bridge screens :*
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 8,932 Arc User
    The Skip Mission Button is now available for the 'Future Proof' Arc.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!
    Judge Dan Haywood
  • fury#0751 fury Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited March 9
    We are even shown at the end of the Iconian War that the Iconians originally just wanted to take the World Heart, go somewhere else, and start over alone. It was only after they lost the world Heart, which robbed them of all their culture, and knowledge, and forced them to be squatters in their own constructs for ages, that the Iconians undertook this revenge scheme.

And yet they transitioned, without it, from the pretty average aliens we meet to the godlike beings we meet later? And, given 200,000 years, if you can't rebuild / rediscover how to make stuff then you're not that motivated at all.

You, along with the writers, seem quite happy with aliens being 2d cutouts. Whatever floats your boat. But if you want to continue this argument please bring something more substantial than mere apologetics and insults.

edited March 9
    And yet they transitioned, without it, from the pretty average aliens we meet to the godlike beings we meet later? And, given 200,000 years, if you can't rebuild / rediscover how to make stuff then you're not that motivated at all.

You, along with the writers, seem quite happy with aliens being 2d cutouts. Whatever floats your boat. But if you want to continue this argument please bring something more substantial than mere apologetics and insults.
    The Iconians were by no means average, they had lifespans of up to 1,000 years, and had chroniton infused brains that served as a galactic GPS system that allowed them to always know where they were after passing through a gateway. And the likelihood of any 12 humans rediscovering how to make transporters after being blasted into the stone age is pretty damn slim no matter how long you give them.

Actually, no, I prefer aliens to be more then 2d cutouts, which is exactly why I like STO's villains so much. The worst we had were Mirror Universe girls, and Hakeev. And while Hakeev wanted power, him working for the Iconians was an attempt to save the Romulan species from the Iconian's wrath. Even he was more then just a Saturday morning cartoon villain.

-B'vat is heavily hinted to be a rather tragic character, who only does what he does because of the knowledge he gained from the future making him believe he has to do these things in order to allow time to progress as it should.
    -The Devidian's quest for neural energy is simply the result of that being how their biology has made them need it to survive. Their actions weren't about malice or terror, but about biological needs.
    -Sela's hatred of the Vulcans was brought about by the Vulcans withholding knowledge, and help, of the Hobus Star's impending supernova. The supernova which destroyed Romulus, and almost brought the Romulan people to extinction.
    -Hakeev's actions were partially for power, and partially to save his species from the Iconian's wrath.
    -The True Way was being manipulated by Laas, who, much like the Founders of the Dominion before him, suffered extreme persecution by "solids" that made him believe trying to control them was the only way to protect himself and the other Changelings of the New Link.
    -The 2800 were simply confused by their unexpected time travel incident.
    -The Breen, or at least the Breen leader in the arc were just out for power. Though we do see many Breen defect to the Alliance because they disprove of Thot Trel's actions, showing that most Breen are not as terrible as he is.
    -The Borg are robots guided by an overriding directive of perfection that they have no ability to counteract or ignore. In effect, they are slaves to the programing of whatever created the Borg in the first place, even if it is long gone.
    -The Tholians are portrayed as protectors of time, though rather extreme in their path of doing so.
    -The Voth simply wanted the Omega Molecules to create a barrier between them and the invading Borg, who they were fighting a losing war with for some time. They didn't seek them to destroy anyone, or take over the galaxy, it was merely about protection.
    -The Undine are shown to have been deceived int believing we broke the pact Janeway made with them first. They didn't just wake up one day and go "TRIBBLE the people in normal space". And when given proof of said deception, the Undine went back to their space. Only Undine Cooper wanted to contiue the war, but even then, it was because he was fearful of what the Iconians would do to his race if they didn't, and not out of anything like simply power, or racism.
    -The general Vaadwaur populace simply believed they were trying to reclaim what they lost. Most had no idea about Gaul's pact with the Elachi/Iconians, and many turned on him once said deception was shown.
    -The Iconians themselves are probably the most tragic figures in STO, a once proud and peaceful race driven to conquest after being betrayed by all the species they spent millions of years helping, combined with the final slap i nthe face of being robbed of te database of their entire civilization.
    -The various powers of the Temporal Liberation Front all have rather valid reasons as to why they dislike the Alliance, and the Alliance has equally valid reasons for trying to stop them.
    -The Tzenkethi's genocidal crusade against the Hur'q was essentially based on the defining Vulcan ideal of "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few". Despite having the power and technology to easily eradicate any world they desired, and logn standing hatred of the Federation and Klingon Empire, they kept their attack confined only to worlds infested by the Hur'q.
    -The Hur'q themselves were driven mad beyond their control by the Female Changeling, and quietly went back to their homeworld once freed.

Really, the only 2d "evil" villains STO has are Mirror Leeta and Mirror Tilly, and that's really only because of that being the nature of the Mirror Universe.
  • fury#0751 fury Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    mefit1 wrote: »
    I went on Facebook and a portion of people are upset at the revised character creator .

I give Cryptic props on doing it .
    I give them props on the discovery and mirror discovery arc .
    The story is good and the detailed maps are beautiful.
    I love the character facial reactions in the discovery arc .

The work on the character creator gives me hope. A fresh UI is what the game needs to get over the lack of attention that the Interface has suffered from. Not the only thing by any stretch but it’s a needed start
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,225 Arc User
    I went on Facebook and a portion of people are upset at the revised character creator .

I give Cryptic props on doing it .
    I give them props on the discovery and mirror discovery arc .
    The story is good and the detailed maps are beautiful.
    I love the character facial reactions in the discovery arc .

The work on the character creator gives me hope. A fresh UI is what the game needs to get over the lack of attention that the Interface has suffered from. Not the only thing by any stretch but it’s a needed start

I'm hoping that mess we call the in-game UI gets cleaned up. The skill bars and such are just an eye sore of clutter.
    Cheating_zps1brwslhb.jpg
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 1,830 Arc User
    Why? Endless reasons, here's some major ones:

1. Power Activation Delay and Failure Bug: Press a Button for ground or space, watch it do nothing as you die, or activate too late and waste itself, in a game that's supposed to be pretty fast paced and filled with lots of fun abilities. Keybinding helps, but defeats the purpose when needing to toggle specific abilities or sequences of said abilities. Kills the fun for me, especially on ground. Developers cannot fix it, don't know how to fix it, haven't fixed it in years, and it won't be fixed till the servers go cold.

2. Game Balance, Nerfs, Power Creep, Obsolescence: Since delta rising expansion, the game has lost the fine line between challenging content and meaningful team work. Everything revolves around DPS and pulling your own weight do kill stuff faster. Tanks and science don't really have any roles. Items are released that are too powerful or subsequently get nerfed to the ground. New stuff is introduced by making the old borderline useless, a true hamster wheel.

3. Grind. Repeat the same content over and over for weeks at a time. Somehow, other games incorporate playing the game successfully and having fun doing so into rewards automatically. STO, it's admiralty clickies, R&D clickies, Doffing clickies, fill reputations clickies, fill fleet project clickies, refine dilithium across X characters clickies, fly places to have access to more clickies, do mini-game clickies, sell and buy on the exchange clickies, done enough of that ? Repeat since many are off-cool-down. Then repeat on other characters, get space rich and uninstall cause there's nothing meaningful to do with any of your stuff that gets replaced by next gen shinies, who in turn don't do anything since big yellow damage numbers are it. Other games you improve your skill, discover new strategies, learn and adapt to your opponents. Here, more big yellow damage numbers against punching bag NPCs.

I try so hard to have fun in this game, to not bash it too hard, since it's got some real nice settings, artwork, star trek IP, but in the end after some clicky grinds I don't even play and just move on to other proper PVP games that have ZERO real grind and 100% fun from start to finish.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
    edited March 9
    trennan wrote: »
    I'm hoping that mess we call the in-game UI gets cleaned up. The skill bars and such are just an eye sore of clutter.
    Cryptic has said they want to do a UI revamp this year.

Its honestly one of the last major features of the game that hasn't been revamped, that and like Doffing and ship interiors.
    Ship interiors are turned off unless it’s on a Romulan ship on console :(

But in all honesty , Romulan interiors are the best :smiley:
    I recall, Kael I think it was, saying something on a livestream a few weeks ago that they plan to enable ship interiors on consoles at some point, it was just a matter of it not being done in time for the console release, and the fact that they are very low priority to begin with, as to why they aren't already.
    patrickngo wrote: »
    it's gamers, Mybm. seriously, gamers love to b/tch moan and complain about the things they love, and it predates online games even. back when 'gaming' required pen, paper, dice and imagination, people would b/tch about rules, rules updates, scenarios, and systems, settings, why something couldn't work in real life, and so on.

if people are complaining, they're paying attention and care enough to say something. What you do NOT want, is nobody talking, because they're probably not talking due to not paying attention or not caring.
    This I can actually agree with, surprising.

The list of things I find wrong with Fallout New Vegas is a mile long, but if I didn't enjoy the game I wouldn't have played it so long to find so many things I hate about it.
  • spielman1spielman1 Member Posts: 952 Arc User
    I don't necessarily hate the game itself or the players don't get me wrong my patience is tested but I don't hate. Only thing that riles me up is when bugs get reported and go unanswered or fixed, when the Federation characters get whatever they want with a single ask question in most cases, but the Klingons and Romulans and most likely any other faction added the cold shoulder isn't right either.
    Many have complained over the years don't get me wrong, many just blowing hot steam it happens, but a few bring up good points to why they don't like this or that. More often than not it usually revolves around some excuse given why this or that is removed, most make sense to remove like missions or the foundry, content of that nature if it never works why have it. The reason they give usually anger people, make big trigger is when they say to increase quality of the game, yet that hasn't happen over well ever to be honest have they gotten better yes. But if you build on a bad foundation and try fixes later that just break more of the game then all you are doing is fighting an uphill battle. Just look at the sheer amount of bugs issues and complaints on that.
    If the company itself over all just faced what is wrong and fix those issues I wouldn't really have an issue with game itself, bring back exploration last I checked the Federation are not like Klingon having to fight. they do more negotiate and find common ground, that was removed yet can easily be brought back if done right and properly. The lack of ships for the Romulans and Klingons yet lore depending on your definition of that has more than they realize they can use. Please if they do add ships look at the universe as whole and don't do anymore tron like or tron close ships, that was a storm that could have been avoided but wasn't.
    For each player the reason they hate on the game varies for some it is out sheer frustration on having to bring up the same bugs and issues a million times promised just as many t be fixed to ever have it fixed and yet find more, preventable by proper testing and addressing of those issues before launch ever happens, sometimes it is better to delay launch then release a bug riddled release like LoR and many others since. If a suggestion is brought up deleting the post doesn't help, don't get me wrong if it violates rules by all means but it doesn't why nt just move to the correct area, not to the will never see light department so t is ignored and never seen again. Bring the devs to the forums so they can read some of what player post you never know some latterly don't know what is being reported bug wise or idea wise simply cause no one and I do mean NO ONE brings it up at all.
    Improvement can start all the company has to do and commit to it completely many closed there wallets why not listen you would be amazed that there wallets can open again if you just listen and actually take on board the good and bad that is said. If it is bad then make changes to improve the situation with in reason when ti is good give yourself a pat, but don't get lazy you still need keep doing good.
    trennan wrote: »
    Cryptic has said they want to do a UI revamp this year.

Its honestly one of the last major features of the game that hasn't been revamped, that and like Doffing and ship interiors.

If they are gonna do ship interiors be best they fix the system fist many bridge interir don't work at all anymore nearly all are broken or bug riddled that before they do a redo of it they need delve in and fix the darn thing first, if need be scrap it till it is fixed as unpopular that would be sometimes best start over and do it right.
    edited March 10
    spielman1 wrote: »
    If they are gonna do ship interiors be best they fix the system fist many bridge interir don't work at all anymore nearly all are broken or bug riddled that before they do a redo of it they need delve in and fix the darn thing first, if need be scrap it till it is fixed as unpopular that would be sometimes best start over and do it right.
    Not sure what you are talking about. Besides a few issues with bridge officer temples showing up I haven't seen or heard of any significant bridge problems.

• thunderfoot006thunderfoot006 Member Posts: 4,063 Arc User
    Why do people hate on this game, OP?
    - Boredom
    - Because the game designers/developers had the audacity to avoid consulting you before they added something new to the game.
    - Because the greatest game designers/developers of all time will never, ever be able to make the game inside your head into something playable.
    - Because if people had nothing to complain about, then they would complain about having nothing to complain about.
    Image4.png
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,225 Arc User
    mybm wrote: »
    i started playing like 3 months ago maybe more not sure its freaking fun and i get spok voice over for real and some other cool stuff sorry just was curiose and started watching some shows when i heard spok i was like whattttttt!!!!!!!!! when i was visiting planets i got chills game is awesome i might hate that console gets extra late but extra but im still like whatttttt!!!!!! game is awesome need to advertise more is all

it's gamers, Mybm. seriously, gamers love to b/tch moan and complain about the things they love, and it predates online games even. back when 'gaming' required pen, paper, dice and imagination, people would b/tch about rules, rules updates, scenarios, and systems, settings, why something couldn't work in real life, and so on.

if people are complaining, they're paying attention and care enough to say something. What you do NOT want, is nobody talking, because they're probably not talking due to not paying attention or not caring.

As someone who has played pen and paper since he was twelve. All I can do is...
    JBHu8F6.gif
    Cheating_zps1brwslhb.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 8,394 Arc User
    mybm wrote: »
    i started playing like 3 months ago maybe more not sure its freaking fun and i get spok voice over for real and some other cool stuff sorry just was curiose and started watching some shows when i heard spok i was like whattttttt!!!!!!!!! when i was visiting planets i got chills game is awesome i might hate that console gets extra late but extra but im still like whatttttt!!!!!! game is awesome need to advertise more is all

Well, I'm sorry, but the Grapple rules in AD&D really were a confusing, self-contradictory mess that most of us just wound up ignoring.

:lol:
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    Not sure what you are talking about. Besides a few issues with bridge officer temples showing up I haven't seen or heard of any significant bridge problems.

SOme of the ships interior if not all the Chairs for the captain doesn't woprk, for some the ready room options don't work, for others the bridge interior doesn't load. You also just proved my point aboyt the company not addressing the bugs when you havnt heard of it do you think the devs have?
    SOme of the ships interior if not all the Chairs for the captain doesn't woprk, for some the ready room options don't work, for others the bridge interior doesn't load. You also just proved my point aboyt the company not addressing the bugs when you havnt heard of it do you think the devs have?
    Just loaded up my Oddy bridge, and the Captain's chair works fine for me.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 5,740 Community Moderator
    OP starts a thread guaranteed to start an argument by its very nature. /Thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of PWE/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of PWE/Cryptic
    Contact Customer Support --> https://support.arcgames.com
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
This discussion has been closed.