Options

Picard series might only be 8 episodes?

Comments

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    jonsills wrote: »
    khan5000 wrote: »
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/star-trek-patrick-stewarts-picard-series-reveals-new-details-1174452?fbclid=IwAR3_qnG6bBPNhHDtRw4lp9IISkY3mNfAh06KrZ5Mea907FnIHeIIgUN5QrU

"Kurtzman says Stewart agreed to return only if he could defy what people are used to seeing with Trek. "He threw down an amazing gauntlet and said, 'If we do this, I want it to be so different, I want it to be both what people remember but also not what they're expecting at all, otherwise why do it?' " Kurtzman recalls of their initial discussions for what would become the highly anticipated CBS All Access series."
    Cool! So now people will hate it, blame Kurtzman, and call anyone who likes it "not a true fan". Always good to have a heads-up on things like that.

What could they have done for the usual suspects not to react like that?

Though I'd love to see what they come up with trying to say Sir Patrick doesn't understand Picard like the fanbois do, or that he's not a Real Star Trek FanTM.​​
    Yeah, the more I hear about it the better it sounds to me, but I think I should lay in some popcorn for those reactions - they'll be fun. :lol:
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    CBS learned from Paramount's mistake.
    I don't think so.

There is some serious doubt as to whether All Access is profitable. Even the most generous estimates show that CBS probably did not break even on the NFL rights they leased last year, plus the cost of all the shows produced on All Access. Now, they are airing three new Trek shows on a tiny subscription service. Star Trek: Discovery went over-budget both seasons; unless CBS can get some leadership in there to handle the reigns, Star Trek is going to cancel itself.
  • Options
    lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    I hate to be the one to bring this up, but there is also the issue of Patrick Stewarts age (78). Planning out a long running series might not be the best idea for them. Just look at the mess Star Wars finds itself in now that Carrie Fischer passed away and they have to rework their grand plans for Princess-General Leia.

From what I've heard the writing team from Discovery is also doing the Picard show, so what does that mean for Discovery's future?
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    It’s not the same writers team
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    The writers for the Picard show are Kirsten Beyer, Michael Chabon, Akiva Goldsman, Diandra Pendleton-Thompson, James Duff, and Stewart himself.
    Kirsten Beyer and Akiva Goldsman and were on the writing staff for Star Trek: Discovery season one. Goldsman and Duff were also producers for Star Trek: Discovery season one.

Diandra Pendleton-Thompson is a relative unknown with two writing credits: Awakening Love and Lucky Night. Awakening Love is 11 minutes long and seems to be a bog-standard romance. I cannot find Lucky Night nor can I find a review of it.

Micheal Chabon wrote the screenplay for 2012's John Carter produced by Disney.

If you are concerned about the writing for STDZ being part of the Picard Show then your concerns are well founded.

Edit: My mistake. James Duff was brought in specifically for Star Trek: Discovery season two. I got the dates mixed up when I was reading the credits.
    Deadline wrote:
    The addition of Duff and the promotions for Lumet and Osunsanmi come on the heels of the recent behind-the-scenes shakeup on Star Trek: Discovery, which involved Gretchen Berg and Aaron Harberts exiting as showrunners, and co-creator/executive producer Alex Kurtzman taking over as sole showrunner for Season 2.

Duff will help Kurtzman run the writers room. Duff has Star Trek credentials — he wrote an episode of Star Trek: Enterprise.
    https://deadline.com/2018/06/star-trek-discovery-james-duff-joins-executive-producer-overall-deal-jenny-lumet-olatunde-osunsanmi-promoted-1202419818/
    Post edited by redvenge on
  • Options
    lordrezeon wrote: »
    From what I've heard the writing team from Discovery is also doing the Picard show, so what does that mean for Discovery's future?
    It means that the staff will be dividing their time between multiple shows (with the exception of Akiva Goldsman, who has no intention of returning to the writing room of Star Trek: Discovery). This is not necessarily to the detriment of either show.

The disruptions in leadership and direction are larger cause for concern going into season two. The poor leadership in the writing room was extremely detrimental to STDZ in season one.
  • Options
    Red, you've got a real problem with DSC, don't you? Also a real problem with the fact that nobody except the accountants at CBS have any idea how either All Access or any show on it is "performing"; all the rest of us know is that it's all still there, with no apparent plans to change that fact.

Then again, aren't you the person who took the fact that a couple of early episodes of DSC went over budget and spun that into a tale of how DSC spending was totally out of control and the series would have to be cancelled because it was too expensive?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    Red, you've got a real problem with DSC, don't you?
    My issue has always been with the writing. Since the writing has been messy to the point of being completely stupid at times, I feel justified being concerned when the leadership falls apart halfway through the production of the second season. Does that automatically mean season two is going to suck?

No.

However, I'm not going to bother watching it until past the halfway point, since that is when they changed leadership in the writing room.
    Also a real problem with the fact that nobody except the accountants at CBS have any idea how either All Access or any show on it is "performing"; all the rest of us know is that it's all still there, with no apparent plans to change that fact.
    All Access had roughly 2.5 million viewers Summer of last year.
    https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/tca-2018-cbs-all-access-has-2-5-million-subscribers

Each viewer pays between $6 and $10 a month. That means All Access was pulling in between $15 million and $25 million a month, for $180 million to $300 million over the course of the year, assuming the 2.5 million subscribers did not significantly change. The cost of hosting the NFL is $250 million all by itself. Take into account the cost of making the original programming and all your profit quickly dries up (keeping in mind CBS paid an additional $30 million for the last 3 episodes of Star Trek: Discovery).

So yes. I feel justified asking CBS "Where are you going to get the money for all these shows that currently have no audience? Are you going to charge your existing customers twice?"
    Then again, aren't you the person who took the fact that a couple of early episodes of DSC went over budget and spun that into a tale of how DSC spending was totally out of control and the series would have to be cancelled because it was too expensive?
    What are you even talking about?

Did STDZ go over budget in season one? Yes.

Did STDZ go over budget in season two? Yes.

We are currently 2 and 0 for over spending track record with no indication is is going to change. CBS All Access is spending money like they are Netflix, only they have a much much smaller budget, because they have far fewer subscribers.

Now I get that you don't care about Star Trek: Discovery, and that's fine. You'd rather bash people for posting on a Star Trek forum. Myself, I would like to see STDZ improve and possibly stay on air for a little longer. That means giving the creators feedback, and voicing concerns. Running out of money is a good way to get yourself cancelled, so this is a concern I would like addressed.
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    redvenge wrote: »
    All Access had roughly 2.5 million viewers Summer of last year.
    https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/tca-2018-cbs-all-access-has-2-5-million-subscribers

Each viewer pays between $6 and $10 a month. That means All Access was pulling in between $15 million and $25 million a month, for $180 million to $300 million over the course of the year, assuming the 2.5 million subscribers did not significantly change. The cost of hosting the NFL is $250 million all by itself. Take into account the cost of making the original programming and all your profit quickly dries up (keeping in mind CBS paid an additional $30 million for the last 3 episodes of Star Trek: Discovery).

So yes. I feel justified asking CBS "Where are you going to get the money for all these shows that currently have no audience? Are you going to charge your existing customers twice?"

Oh really? So how did I watch ST:DSC then, since I don't have access to All Access as I live outside the USA? Answer: Netflix. CBS are also paying for ST:DSC with the Netflix distribution license for outside the US. Figure out how much CBS make from that, aggregate that with your other calculations, and then make a conclusion. Bad data is worse than no data.
  • Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    Since none of us are privy to the accounting data for All Access, we won't know if All Access is financially self-sustaining until it is announced that it is being shut down. Everything we learn from second party sources is subject to their bias, and is untrustworthy. Furthermore, CBS could continue to run All Access at a loss for years to come just to maintain it as a marketing tool.

So, I submit to the chair that we table discussion of the financial aspects of the company and focus our discussion on the Picard Series.

I had not heard that Stewart was credited as a writer. What are his writing chops? Or is he the resident expert on 'What Would Picard Do?'
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    To table a discussion is to bring it up bring it up to be discussed. If you're tabling discussion of finances then you're intending to go off topic.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    To table a discussion is to bring it up bring it up to be discussed. If you're tabling discussion of finances then you're intending to go off topic.
    That's British English. As so often happens, it's exactly the opposite of American English.

As George Bernard Shaw observed, American and Britain are two countries separated by a common language.

As for the writing credits, Stewart has written several articles - no screenwriting credits of which I'm aware, though, aside from his (wordless) Ice Bucket Challenge response, as seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkO4NIqAMss
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    nepsthennepsthen Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    redvenge wrote: »
    lordrezeon wrote: »
    It means that the staff will be dividing their time between multiple shows (with the exception of Akiva Goldsman, who has no intention of returning to the writing room of Star Trek: Discovery). This is not necessarily to the detriment of either show.

The disruptions in leadership and direction are larger cause for concern going into season two. The poor leadership in the writing room was extremely detrimental to STDZ in season one.

This. It looks like they're going to be focusing on the Picard show, if rumors are true. It doesn't make sense for them to move the leadership between Cali and Canada if this link in Variety from last month is true. Only time will tell if CBS puts it on hold while the merger with Paramount takes place, or allows it to continue.
    DxDiag64 dump 19Feb2016: http://pastebin.com/1c0pkEuw
  • Options
    That's British English. As so often happens, it's exactly the opposite of American English.

As George Bernard Shaw observed, American and Britain are two countries separated by a common language.

Really!? How'd youse manage to get the exact opposite meaning of a phrase? Especially when the phrase literally describes putting it on the board table as an agendum. Do American boards have little side tables where they put all the paperwork they're not going to action in that meeting?

I'm curious now, I'll head to the Google engine.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options

Really!? How'd youse manage to get the exact opposite meaning of a phrase? Especially when the phrase literally describes putting it on the board table as an agendum. Do American boards have little side tables where they put all the paperwork they're not going to action in that meeting?

I assume it's because you pick up a piece you want to deal with now and put it on the table when you want to deal with it later. But that's just my speculation, based on nothing but my own observation of the use of the term. I've always understood it to mean, 'We'll get back to that at a later time.'

Any confirmation on CBS/Paramount merger? It's been long anticipated, but never achieved. I also can't believe anyone would pay billions for mere millions of dollars worth of movie libraries, the greatest hits of which are old. Paramount has been really good at producing expensive, poorly performing movies in the last few years, and their acknowledged debt is the GDP of at least seven third world nations.
  • Options
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    No, that can't be right. If you'd be a true Star Trek fan you'd know that literally everything and everyone ever associated with Star Trek is a huge failure and that the ship has been sinking HARD since 1966 with no speck of light on the horizon. That's the spirit of a true fan, anyone saying differently is a hack and a shill.

😜
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    patrickngo wrote: »

colloquialism, Artan. In american business culture the meaning's opposite from in British business culture.

Yes I know that now. I'm just curious as to the origin of the American version of the phrase. I.e the culture behind it.

#TASforSTO

• Options
    discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    Most Americanisms were actually Britishisms that the British stopped using. Same with the accent. Americans talk like the British used to
  • Options
    I recently viewed Watership Down on Netflix, (it was surprisingly close to the book, considering,) and it was only four episodes. If the Picard Series is a single story rather than an ongoing episodic adventure, then 8 might be the perfect number of episodes: Long enough to tell the story, but not so long that the writers are reaching for filler. That's a six-hour movie, which is plenty of time to develop characters and depth.

If it's a Mirror Universe Picard, I will go to Hollywood and find the writers and force them to watch the second season of Star Blazers. The American version.
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    brian334 wrote: »
    I recently viewed Watership Down on Netflix, (it was surprisingly close to the book, considering,) and it was only four episodes. If the Picard Series is a single story rather than an ongoing episodic adventure, then 8 might be the perfect number of episodes: Long enough to tell the story, but not so long that the writers are reaching for filler. That's a six-hour movie, which is plenty of time to develop characters and depth.

If it's a Mirror Universe Picard, I will go to Hollywood and find the writers and force them to watch the second season of Star Blazers. The American version.

nah, you really wanna punish them, make it a marathon: Starblazers, Robotech, and Speed Racer (the american dubs only, not the special editions or the original japanese Anime).

You two are being a bit tame, don't you think? If you really wanna punish them, make them watch Star Wars: The Holiday Special - on repeat - while tied to their seats.
  • Options
    Or have them watch “Encounter At Farpoint” the first bridge scene before Q shows up on repeat
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    khan5000 wrote: »
    Or have them watch “Encounter At Farpoint” the first bridge scene before Q shows up on repeat

There are far worse punishments to inflict, Spock's Brain, Star Trek V, and Threshold on repeat to name a few.