test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Mirror Engle Carrier needs to be account unlock

Being a level-scaling ship for lvl 1-65, this ship needs to account unlock, not a lockbox ship.

Comments

• Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    Personally, I think they should just go back through every ship the game has and make it level scaling from the tutorial to 65, regardless of it being a C-Store ship, promotional ship, special event ship, or lock box ship.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    The entire release of the Engle is puzzling to me..

Makes no sense at all to have a level scaling ship in a lock box. This ship should be sold in the C-Store, new players that could benefit from the scalability of the ship aren't opening lock boxes. As it sits right now, the scaling aspect of this ship appeals to a very small niche of players.. wealthy players who want to win the ship to gift to an alt.

Scaling ship is a great idea.. putting in a lock box is just dumb.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User

Makes no sense at all to have a level scaling ship in a lock box. This ship should be sold in the C-Store, new players that could benefit from the scalability of the ship aren't opening lock boxes. As it sits right now, the scaling aspect of this ship appeals to a very small niche of players.. wealthy players who want to win the ship to gift to an alt.

Incentive to make a new character perhaps...plus it's not like you need to level in it...can give it to a 65.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User

Hm, think the target group here is the two of us. They want us to make Disco toons, take them seriously and restart the cycle of suffering all over again.

I mean the ship’s loadout is great. The trait has potential but lol na, na, not good enough cryptic, not good enough. :D

Think about those millions of sliders to pull and buttons to click each day…
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited December 2018

Have to agree that this is a big time head scratcher. Pretty much any remaining lock box T5 ship getting the T6 treatment would probably generate more excitement and sales. The scaling feature is useless to existing characters and if they wanted it to have a use, the OBVIOUS time to release such a lock box ship would be at the same time that AOSTD was released. Not now after all the ST:D characters have hit Level 65.

More than anything, this move seems forced and completely shoe horned into the infinity box. Like, why not release the ship in an ST:D 2 lock box? Unless that lock box is coming already with different ships. I just don't get it.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Incentive to make a new character perhaps...plus it's not like you need to level in it...can give it to a 65.

Yeah, perhaps that's what they're thinking. If I had the ship however, I would do just that.. give it a level 65 and thus waste the scaling feature completely.

Hm, think the target group here is the two of us. They want us to make Disco toons, take them seriously and restart the cycle of suffering all over again.

lol.. It's going to take A LOT more then that my friend. :lol:

Think about those millions of sliders to pull and buttons to click each day…

I just got carpal tunnel picturing it.

Have to agree that this is a big time head scratcher. Pretty much any remaining lock box T5 ship getting the T6 treatment would probably generate more excitement and sales. The scaling feature is useless to existing characters and if they wanted it to have a use, the OBVIOUS time to release such a lock box ship would be at the same time that AOSTD was released. Not now after all the ST:D characters have hit Level 65.

Good point, the timing makes it even more perplexing.

I just don't understand anything Cryptic has been doing lately. :smiley:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    The idea of a full leveling ship is sound, but putting it in a lockbox, it seems it will be a completely underused feature.

But it's not like that makes the ship itself bad.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Put it in the C-Store!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    cyllus2014cyllus2014 Member Posts: 51 Arc User

Totally agree. I would have bought this from the c-store in a second. Mess with lockboxes... nope.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Since they already had the ship scaling system coded with the Walker, setting up the scaling on this one probably took like 15 minutes typing in the numbers. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they made all future lockbox ships scalable, as an easy way to get the baby whales into the lockbox economy faster.

Cryptic is finally implementing some more of the common spending incentives of the F2P marketplace. And I don't think they're going to be all that concerned if a few forumites are scratching their heads at the idea.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    Lock box is fine, but the leveling feature makes the most sense with an account unlock. I was half expecting that in the description, but perhaps they got cold feet about the "account is the player" initiative.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    A leveling ship from a lockbox is stupid. The one ship you could really get alot of use out of account wide and they make it hard to get and then you only get one bound to character. If it reaching T6 is suppose to be the 'wow factor', it ain't. I'd have rather they made it level to T5 and be a C-store ship.

But really... since you get a free ship every promotion, why would you want a leveling ship? (other than it's super OP vs normal tier ships at lower levels) It's not like getting to max level is hard. You can do it with whatever vendor trash greens drop during missions.

The only real reason I can see is to counter the players having no desire to buy any ship below max level. Why buy a T3 ship from the C-store when you're gonna out-level it in a day? If ALL ships were good from 10-65, then every ship has a better chance to be purchased by the max level player.

And if any ship is good at max level that means they can charge us 3000 Zen for any ship. >:)
  • Options
    husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,593 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    There is already a leveling ship in the zen store for newbies. With no doubt more to come.

Lets all be honest... there are very very few newbies around anymore. Anyone with even a small inclining to play STO has already jumped in at some point in the last 9 years.

So lockbox leveling ships why not. Who here doesn't have 10+ toons already. Most people if they are going to roll a new toon feed it gear and other resources from their account.

Sending over a lockbox ship to level makes sense. Although to be perfectly honest... your better off spending 20-30 million during a leveling weekend, and send your new toon 5-10 lockbox doff missions and a handful of Ultra-rare / Kobali doff packs. You will be almost doff mission ready by the end of the tutorial... run one or two missions in whatever ship you got.

From there you can hit level 65 after a couple days of logging in and click clicking your lockbox doff missions. Then fly whatever you want. Not sure why anyone that has been around for anything longer then a year or so would bother playing low level content. Just skip it, its cheap.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    Not sure why anyone that has been around for anything longer then a year or so would bother playing low level content. Just skip it, its cheap.

I've been here since 2012 (with a break in 2013) and I enjoy re-experiencing the leveling process once or twice a year on new characters. That one-beam one-torp ship with 1-2 ensign powers, then the better ship, the added powers, and so on. Low-level content where it makes sense to use a tachyon beam and where a single beam overload or torpedo high yield matters is over all too soon :) .
  • Options
    thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    On this type of ship I think, it does need to be an account unlock. As otherwise its just a waste to use it at the lowest levels. THey should add the scaling system to other lower tier ships though..
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    edited December 2018
    There are no plans for Lockbox, Lobi, or R&D Promotion ships to be made account unlocks. This topic is now part of the FCT. /Thread
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.