What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Romulan Refits Vs Federation Refits

Comments

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    spielman1 wrote: »
    Tired of having this conversation over and over and over and over and over think you get the point at this time hopefully.

Says the guy that's had everything explained to him multiple times by multiple people and still doesn't get it.

Pot, Kettle.. Black.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    bendalek wrote: »
    The -10 to all ship power levels from using a Singularity Core may be part of the cause, particularly if you set the power level to weapon heavy, but "most" of that can be ameliorated by careful selection of Core, Engine, Skills, Consoles and traits. So it's a little hard to say definitively that "Romulan ships are 'squishier' than Fed ships".

for sure no but the fact that they take away 10 power to all systems but give the feds and Klingons no weakness of there own to exploit doesn't help either

STO is about dealing damage and nobody does it better than Romulans. They say the best defense is a strong offense. Not only that, survivability isn't merely about power levels. In fact, if you know what you're doing, Romulans have no trouble managing power. You just need someone to sit down and go over your build with you. It's quite easily to be literally indestructible as a Romulan on a Romulan ship.

Don't get me wrong I do really good in my Romulan ships but as normal no one actually reads and interprets what is said basically Romulan are powerful race in the game they put out some damage don't get me wrong but the fact they get a 10 power level reduction yet I don't see Fed Characters and or Klingon Characters get a weakness like that yet. Doesn't mean the Romulans race if done right isn't good they are if done right but think about most players I have seen put all thee effort into damage which ok for about 10 seconds till your fireball of disappointment.
    Then it is 30 second wait of no damage forcing your team to carry you during that time making it harder for theme and usually resulting is a lose of the mission or reduction in reward due to secondary mission lose. SO a little armor enough make the fioght good is ok too much is bad most players cant figure what is too much or too little making theme scream that this or that is bad all I did was point out that yes Romulan players from certain point is weak yet they are strong in other areas, one of theme you have to do power management like crazy and understand it good if not your a fireball of shame.
    Periods go at the end of sentences. They are not meant to be randomly placed in the middle of paragraphs with no rhyme or reason. Now that we have that out of the way, -10 power per subsystem is literally nothing to worry about as explained ad nauseam in this thread. I'll highlight the next point again that I want to address.
    but the fact they get a 10 power level reduction yet I don't see Fed Characters and or Klingon Characters get a weakness like that yet.
    FEDs and ROMs get some HUGE weaknesses by comparison. First, they have ZERO access to SRO's that are engineers or science. On most ships, this translates to a loss of 6% critical hit chance and a 15% critical damage chance. The CrtD loss isn't so bad but the CrtH loss is huge. Also the fact that Romulans get battle cloak as a standard feature without losing boff powers or weapons slots is a huge advantage so your above quote is demonstrably wrong. It's so wrong it's embarrassing really.

I assume that the rest of your run on sentences is basically saying that "figuring out power management is too hard for noobs." And this leads to failboats. Well, noobs fail regardless of the ship that they're flying. All they need is some good advice and help from a more experience player. This would be true in any ship, be it Romulan, Klingon or Federation.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    Imnot saying make it that way let the player choose one or the other I will repeat since people don't LET THE PLAYER CHOOSE, if they want those advantages sure let theme if not and they want a different build sure that is all I am saying let me repeat since no one reads THAT IS ALL I AM SAYING.

But...

They do let you choose. In fact, Romulans have more choices than anyone. You can play almost any ship in the game as a Romulan.

If you don't like the Singularity powers, play a Starfleet ship. Want Battle-Cloak? Play a BoP.

Or are you saying that Romulan ships should come with a choice of design features?

No ship has that. They come out the box with their features set by the Developers. Ever wonder how many times I wished for more shields or hull points on my BoP? They didn't give me a choice to make my Hegh'ta as tough as a Bortasqu'. Oh, and I want the Sensor Scan and Subsystem Targeting features too.

But they didn't give me that choice! If I want to play a Bop, I have to take the tissue-paper shields and the hull made of pure explodium because that's the trade-off for one of the best Alpha Strike ships in the game. (Well, was. Now they have better, sadly, and guess what? Romulan...)

So, no, you don't get to choose how each individual ship is designed. Cryptic said no to that long ago. They said no, not ever going to happen. You take the compromises they give you and you work from there. But as a Romulan, if you have an issue with -10 Systems Power, pick up a Hegh'ta or an Assault Cruiser, and voila! No -10 to system power levels.

There's nothing wrong with our reading comprehension. It's just that you don't like the answer, which is that no ship will ever come with the ability for players to decide which features they get.

Ooooh! Battlecloak on a Mirror Assault Cruiser! Can I haz one plz? Kthnx.
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    The -10 to all ship power levels from using a Singularity Core may be part of the cause, particularly if you set the power level to weapon heavy, but "most" of that can be ameliorated by careful selection of Core, Engine, Skills, Consoles and traits. So it's a little hard to say definitively that "Romulan ships are 'squishier' than Fed ships".

for sure no but the fact that they take away 10 power to all systems but give the feds and Klingons no weakness of there own to exploit doesn't help either

STO is about dealing damage and nobody does it better than Romulans. They say the best defense is a strong offense. Not only that, survivability isn't merely about power levels. In fact, if you know what you're doing, Romulans have no trouble managing power. You just need someone to sit down and go over your build with you. It's quite easily to be literally indestructible as a Romulan on a Romulan ship.

Don't get me wrong I do really good in my Romulan ships but as normal no one actually reads and interprets what is said basically Romulan are powerful race in the game they put out some damage don't get me wrong but the fact they get a 10 power level reduction yet I don't see Fed Characters and or Klingon Characters get a weakness like that yet. Doesn't mean the Romulans race if done right isn't good they are if done right but think about most players I have seen put all thee effort into damage which ok for about 10 seconds till your fireball of disappointment.
    Then it is 30 second wait of no damage forcing your team to carry you during that time making it harder for theme and usually resulting is a lose of the mission or reduction in reward due to secondary mission lose. SO a little armor enough make the fioght good is ok too much is bad most players cant figure what is too much or too little making theme scream that this or that is bad all I did was point out that yes Romulan players from certain point is weak yet they are strong in other areas, one of theme you have to do power management like crazy and understand it good if not your a fireball of shame.

Do you know what the KDF has to give up to get a battle cloak? An entire weapon slot, massive hull and shield slots, boff officer slot. You are telling me that having just -10 power to all is worse than that? That -10 power being something SUPER easy to counter act if you are not a complete moron at ship building. Okay...sure. The KDF has it great compared to us romulans...sure.

Wow just wow man a little sensitive arnt you please read again and again as you didn't get the point. Tired of having this conversation over and over and over and over and over think you get the point at this time hopefully.

No...the point is you seem to think that the -10 power is some big giant detriment when it is not. You seem to think romulans don't have other options...when they do. And not even with allied faction ships. Some of the Romulan faction ships use warp cores too. You seem to not realize just how much power you get for that -10 power. I mean the battle cloak alone is gotten at a bargin compared to the KDF. And that's on top of the fact that out battle cloak can be extended to almost 30 seconds of ambush...for a near constant APA...that stacks with APA. That along with SRO, sing powers and other great abilities. To give up all the advantages that Romulans have to get that 10 power back would be a HUGE nerf.

Imnot saying make it that way let the player choose one or the other I will repeat since people don't LET THE PLAYER CHOOSE, if they want those advantages sure let theme if not and they want a different build sure that is all I am saying let me repeat since no one reads THAT IS ALL I AM SAYING.

But we do have a choice.. my Rom/Kdf have access to excelent klingon ships, that does not have the -10 power issue, but i do preffer the warbirds… and also take that power into account, to use consoles and sets to increase my power in my Morrigu, so, i dont see de disadvantage.. and, from what i know, i can use even my Jem'Haddar ships in my rom… so, i think they are quite powerful...
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    rthenrthen Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    From the lore perspective.. I am having issues trying to justify how Romulan Republic officers can captain fed ships.... they are an ally not a fed officer.... /sigh
  • Options
    rthen wrote: »
    From the lore perspective.. I am having issues trying to justify how Romulan Republic officers can captain fed ships.... they are an ally not a fed officer.... /sigh

Lend Lease.

Back when both KDF and Sarfleet were trying to get the Romulan Republic to ally, D'Tan made a sweet deal: both of you guys bribe us and we'll promise not to side against you with the other guy. So bot the Empire and the Federation have invested quite a bit, including surplus starship hulls, in the fledgling Republic.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Wish people would stop pretending they're worth a damn...because they aren't.
    I just played a round of counterpoint where Quantum Absorption saved by backside at least 3 times. I'll give you that it's probably the only one that's any good, but it's nice to have a free power.
    I will say that I RARELY use them, BUT I can't say never.

Plasma shockwave is very situational, BUT when you want to kill stuff like Tholian web nodes, seekers, or hordes of swarmers it might save you in a pinch.

I used to tinker with overload, but it tends to be weaker than simply spamming EptW.

Warp Shadow... is usually useless... I'm blanking on situations where I want to use it.

Singularity jump can be pretty useful in a few specific scenarios. really.... narrow ones though.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    That was the point I was trying to get across but as everything on the Forums people took ti the wrong way and spun it to be used as a weapon against me and others.

This did not even happen.

You opened with the line "sad the company is refusing to address the problem and correct it so that Romulan players can play on a equal bases" implying that there was some disparity that Cryptic was refusing to address. We posted counter arguments because we did not agree with that statement. No one attacked you, we attacked your argument and countered with reasons why we disagree.

This is a discussion board, people will discuss things which means different ideas. You can't take it as a personal attack just because someone disagrees with you. I have not insulted you personally, not once.. and neither did anyone else. Yes, we pointed out that you're not listening or considering our argument because it doesn't appear that you are.

Your argument was thin.. at best.. and the argument was attacked for that reason. Honestly, I can't believe you keep coming back and defending this point, it's perfectly fine to just admit you were wrong. If you can't defend your argument, then fine, but don't play the victim card and try and spin this into a personal attack.
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    gaevsman wrote: »

Do you know what the KDF has to give up to get a battle cloak? An entire weapon slot, massive hull and shield slots, boff officer slot. You are telling me that having just -10 power to all is worse than that? That -10 power being something SUPER easy to counter act if you are not a complete moron at ship building. Okay...sure. The KDF has it great compared to us romulans...sure.

Wow just wow man a little sensitive arnt you please read again and again as you didn't get the point. Tired of having this conversation over and over and over and over and over think you get the point at this time hopefully.

No...the point is you seem to think that the -10 power is some big giant detriment when it is not. You seem to think romulans don't have other options...when they do. And not even with allied faction ships. Some of the Romulan faction ships use warp cores too. You seem to not realize just how much power you get for that -10 power. I mean the battle cloak alone is gotten at a bargin compared to the KDF. And that's on top of the fact that out battle cloak can be extended to almost 30 seconds of ambush...for a near constant APA...that stacks with APA. That along with SRO, sing powers and other great abilities. To give up all the advantages that Romulans have to get that 10 power back would be a HUGE nerf.

But we do have a choice.. my Rom/Kdf have access to excelent klingon ships, that does not have the -10 power issue, but i do preffer the warbirds… and also take that power into account, to use consoles and sets to increase my power in my Morrigu, so, i dont see de disadvantage.. and, from what i know, i can use even my Jem'Haddar ships in my rom… so, i think they are quite powerful...

Romulans are don't get me wrong not saying they arn't and minus 10 power isn't a deal breaker but it is a weakness when other powers like the KDF and FEDs don't really have one I can see the FED having good sensors and defenses per say like shields and KDF have good bonus to armor but weaker shields or more powerful weapons and the FED have good sensors but weaker defenses something like that. That was the point I was trying to get across but as everything on the Forums people took ti the wrong way and spun it to be used as a weapon against me and others. My Romulan ships even with the weapons weakness to the power level still out punches much bigger ships and hangs in a fight much better then some of the KDF and Fed players due to there lack of use of armor for some reason they don't don't ask me why but they don't.

I do get your point, but if they dont have… some.. drawbacks, well, they will be OP, actually, quite OP if you think about it… Romulans have access to everything, so, actually Fed and KDF has less choice if you think about it, they are stuck with ther faction options :smile:
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @rthen said:
    > From the lore perspective.. I am having issues trying to justify how Romulan Republic officers can captain fed ships.... they are an ally not a fed officer.... /sigh

For a time a KDF officer served as XO of the USS Enterprise D. On several occasions Starfleet Officers served in various capacities of command on Klingon vessels, such as IKS Pagh. This is no different, and in total keeping with the canon precedent.
    This is true it does happen but I am thinking he is meaning more as a Permanent role most nations today don't do that and I cant see letting a Romulan Officer be in the Republic Navy and serve on a Federation in a permanent position, I can see in a temporary role learning and exchange as you said. I just wish they add more Romulan ships and such they are lacking quite a bit in that department.
    Actually.... Nations can and do give ships to allies. The Australian navy in WW2 was actually British built warships. But these ships were operated by the Australians. They didn't have an Australian captain and a British crew. So it's not that a Republic officer is in command of a Starfleet warship, but that the Romulan officer is commanding a Republic warship that was designed and built by the Federation. (whether you have Federation citizens as part of your crew is a separate arrangement)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    erraberrab Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    I really enjoy Romulan ships and it's very true that they are quite powerful, they are also very squishy. I'm currently flying the Kelvin Timeline T'laru Intel Carrier Warbird. Science Captain running at full Aux power and let me tell you power management is really tricky (at least for me). My shields feel almost not existent at times. My work around it to use my battle cloak to stick and move when I can.

Romulan ships can dish it out better than most..... but they sure can't take it ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    errab wrote: »
    I really enjoy Romulan ships and it's very true that they are quite powerful, they are also very squishy. I'm currently flying the Kelvin Timeline T'laru Intel Carrier Warbird. Science Captain running at full Aux power and let me tell you power management is really tricky (at least for me). My shields feel almost not existent at times. My work around it to use my battle cloak to stick and move when I can.

Romulan ships can dish it out better than most..... but they sure can't take it ;)
    I got a Thrai a while back and that thing can take a massive beating.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited November 2018

Yeah but over all most Romulan ships cant a massive amount of beating like other ships for the FED or KDF on a equal matching all things fair. The Romulan ship wont last as long they do have stranghths in other areas but not enough to count as fair or balanced.
    That's just not true. At the upper end of Level 65+ game play running the same skill tree, profession, traits, ship traits, consoles and all gear otherwise, boff powers, spec trees all results in a very very small difference in tanking capability between comparable FED and Romulan ships. The fact is that when tanking, the ship is one of the smallest factors when setting up your build.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options

Yeah but over all most Romulan ships cant a massive amount of beating like other ships for the FED or KDF on a equal matching all things fair. The Romulan ship wont last as long they do have stranghths in other areas but not enough to count as fair or balanced.

Nothing the Romulans field is as squishy as a BoP, but several Romulan ships can hit harder in a Decloak Alpha Strike. My T3 Warbird can take more of a beating than my T5 BoP.
  • Options

That's just not true. At the upper end of Level 65+ game play running the same skill tree, profession, traits, ship traits, consoles and all gear otherwise, boff powers, spec trees all results in a very very small difference in tanking capability between comparable FED and Romulan ships. The fact is that when tanking, the ship is one of the smallest factors when setting up your build.

Too a point I agree but if you compare it and look at hard facts there are some differences and sometimes to difference can make or break a ships ability to tank or not some and boom. Im not saying the difference is so huge you have be blind to not see it but there is a difference.

There is absolutely a difference.

Romulans are better tanks.

Between the Shield Absorptive Console, Quantum Absorption, and the ability to have innately high critical hit/damage even in defensive builds makes Romulans subjectively the best tanks in the game.
This discussion has been closed.