test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Story-line inconsistency or am I wrong? AOY vs AOD

ayexeyenayexeyen Member Posts: 229 Arc User
Hello everybody. I was thinking about the story-line og AOD and AOY and I was wondering if there is an inconsistency.
AOY, according to the description in the wiki, happen in 2270. The main character is ambushed by the klingon because they
have this "new" cloaking technology.
AOD happen in 2256 BUT in the mission we see, several times, that klingon ship can cloak.
So, how it's possible that in 2270, 14 years after knowing that klingon have cloaking technology, the AOY get *surprised* and ambushed?

Am I wrong or missing something? Maybe I got confused with the dates?

Comments

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    ayexeyen wrote: »
    Hello everybody. I was thinking about the story-line og AOD and AOY and I was wondering if there is an inconsistency.
    AOY, according to the description in the wiki, happen in 2270. The main character is ambushed by the klingon because they
    have this "new" cloaking technology.
    AOD happen in 2256 BUT in the mission we see, several times, that klingon ship can cloak.
    So, how it's possible that in 2270, 14 years after knowing that klingon have cloaking technology, the AOY get *surprised* and ambushed?

Am I wrong or missing something? Maybe I got confused with the dates?

USS Discovery found a way of penetrating the cloak used by the Sarcophagus (and other Klingon ships) "Into the Forest I go".

Therefore, assuming this isn't undone in Season 2, it makes sense. Think of it this way (although working on assumption here):
    - Discovery renders Klingon cloak useless
    - Klingons therefore stop using them as they pose no tactical advantage
    - 14 years pass with no further incidents of Klingons using cloaking tech effectively
    - Battle of Caleb IV occurs. Starfleet, probably not expecting the Klingons to be using cloaking tech, and unable to detect the new cloaks*, are ambushed and defeated.

* Romulans had developed an improved cloaking device ('Balance of Terror' and 'The Enterprise Incident') - one could speculate that the Romulans shared the tech with the Klingons, as they seemed to be on relatively good terms at that time, or the Klingons refined their existing cloaking tech.
    Yeah this seems like the most logical explanation. Especially if there was shift in internal politics of the Klingon Empire that made them look at the cloak in a less favorble light, the cloak doesn't even be totally useless just limited in application that using it would a social stigma in the Klingon Empire.
  • andromeda981andromeda981 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    To my understanding the cloak the Klingons began using in the 2270s was of Romulan design. More advanced than Klingon ones as part of the Romulan-Klingon Alliance of the 2260s which saw the sharing of technology and D7 designs.

The one from 2256 would of been centuries old given the ships age before its cloak was replicated and distributed. Possibly stolen by origin from ancient Romulans, Suluban or Xyrillians.