test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Upgrade weekend?

nejdinenejdine Member Posts: 47 Arc User
When was the last Upgrade weekend? I've played since summer after a long several years of vacation from the game, and i'd love to see this returning before i get tired of the game again so i can feel up-to-date. I do have some gear upgraded to Mk XV but i do not remember when i did those. Last spring, or last winter?

I'm not the most dps:hungry captain out there and like to be a mix, Jack of all trades. I like healing others. Playing an instance that is over in 2 minutes is not fun, and the main dps:er complaints that the rest of the group are lacking skill. Well, thank you, in a way, for the free marks and dilithium, but, it was boring as hell to play when you killed everything and blamed the rest to lack dps before they could touch enough mobs.

Anyways.... So, when can we look forward to a weekend to upgrade our goodie good goods?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    The last one was early June.

This is pretty much the longest they have gone without giving us an Upgrade Weekend, even did 2 Phoenix Box events over that span.

My fear is that they're holding off waiting for discover area characters to get to the point where they are ready for upgrades. If that's the case then it could be months. This would be incredibly stupid, but it's Cryptic so you never know.

Personally, I am hoping they do one very soon followed by one more before the end of the year for DISC characters. Since they don't actually communicate things like this to the player base however, we're left to just guess.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited October 2018

This is pretty much the longest they have gone without giving us an Upgrade Weekend, even did 2 Phoenix Box events over that span.

My fear is that they're holding off waiting for discover area characters to get to the point where they are ready for upgrades. If that's the case then it could be months. This would be incredibly stupid, but it's Cryptic so you never know.

Personally, I am hoping they do one very soon followed by one more before the end of the year for DISC characters. Since they don't actually communicate things like this to the player base however, we're left to just guess.

I'm hoping they wait at least until the weekend AFTER 30 days to level to tier 6 so we can upgrade all the new gear folks will likely buy, weekend after maintenance on Nov 8th, rather than doing one before and then having to wait a few months after getting that gear.
  • Options

I'm hoping they wait at least until the weekend AFTER 30 days to level to tier 6 so we can upgrade all the new gear folks will likely buy, weekend after maintenance on Nov 8th, rather than doing one before and then having to wait a few months after getting that gear.

Too long to wait.. but that sounds stupid enough to be their plan.

There is no reason at all that they can't do an upgrade weekend this weekend and then do another one in November/December for AOD Characters.
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    It's not the longest that they've gone yet, but if it doesn't happen by next weekend, it will be. It is the longest that they've gone without one since Phoenix Prize Packs became a thing. This has been the sparsest full calendar year for Upgrade events so far, with only 3, compared to 2016 and 2017 both having 5. Though there have been apparent patterns developing for them in the past, they have managed to break those, giving the impression that this, like most weekend events, is on the "whenever we feel like it/remember to do it" schedule.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I prefer that they not run upgrade weekends that frequently.

There's a reason why stores that run sales and discounts all the time have run into trouble. If they're going to run them that often, they may as well just lower the upgrade costs permanently to something between the sale price and normal price.

The fact that they don't run them or most sales on a set calendar indicates something about the economics of the game, as upgrade weekends also drain dil from the economy and impact exchange rates.

So there is, in fact, a reason not to run one now and another quickly, especially if you consider the wider calendar of events, including the Winter event and Omega event.
  • Options
    The last one was in June, it's been 5 months.. no one is asking for them to be every other weekend.

The duration since the last Upgrade Weekend is simply ridiculous. Running 2 Phoenix Events in the mean time was even dumber. The last Phoenix Promotion had no effect on the Dilithium Market because everyone was already sitting on piles of upgrades from the last event. Now, when the next upgrade weekend finally hits.. the result will probably be the same since everyone has so many kits that they won't need any Dilithium.

Upgrade Weekends are about more then just the upgrades, they're about regulating the in game economy. The wait has been long enough, we need an Upgrade Weekend immediately. Honestly, I couldn't care less what effect it has on their AOD event.
  • Options
    discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    Exactly. I have probably 300 upgrades that I want to use on my Jem'Hadar and Delta Recruit (from the re-run), but I'm not going to until the next upgrade.
  • Options
    discojer wrote: »
    Exactly. I have probably 300 upgrades that I want to use on my Jem'Hadar and Delta Recruit (from the re-run), but I'm not going to until the next upgrade.

I am sitting on 550.

Same as you, I am not using them without an upgrade weekend. If I get bored in the mean time, I'll just reduce my play time until I have the opportunity to finish the builds I want to do.

Just like removing red alerts won't force me into the TFO thing, withholding Upgrade Weekends won't force me to waste my resources.
  • Options
    The last one was in June, it's been 5 months.. no one is asking for them to be every other weekend.

The duration since the last Upgrade Weekend is simply ridiculous. Running 2 Phoenix Events in the mean time was even dumber. The last Phoenix Promotion had no effect on the Dilithium Market because everyone was already sitting on piles of upgrades from the last event. Now, when the next upgrade weekend finally hits.. the result will probably be the same since everyone has so many kits that they won't need any Dilithium.

Upgrade Weekends are about more then just the upgrades, they're about regulating the in game economy. The wait has been long enough, we need an Upgrade Weekend immediately. Honestly, I couldn't care less what effect it has on their AOD event.

While I do agree that it's been a long time since the last upgrade weekend, we both agree that running them has an impact on the in-game economy. I think we both also agree that they ought not be run them frequently because of that impact.

If we're in agreement on those two points, I can't see that running an upgrade weekend within the next week or two, then running one in Nov or early Dec would likely happen. Of course, I'd like them to run one now. But, if they had to choose, then I'd rather they wait for us to complete Tier 6 leveling to get new equipment, especially if the other option is to wait several more months. We all know we'd also want an upgrade weekend after the Omega event. Given the scarcity of upgrade events this year, what are the odds that they'd run one now, then one after we've all gotten the tier 6 reputations, than a third one right after Omega is done?

None of this is to say that they ought not rethink the calendar for upgrade weekends. I think they ought to run about four of them with an additional 1-2 based on expansions or recruitment events when a lot of new alts are being made.

And I do care what impact it would have on AoD, as well as their economics. I've invested too much time and money into this game not to be concerned about how these types of decisions impact the overall game health, even if I'm sitting on 1000 Phoenix upgrades right now and it doesn't make me happy in the short-term.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    yeah my Jem sits at level 12 equipment and will indefinitely until the upgrade weekend. If there is never another one he will die at level 12 and not shed a tear. IOW I can outlast cryptic.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    I think they have huge wheel of fortune type thing in the office that they spin once a week that has some events on there a number of times, like xp, or marks and others only a few times, like ship/zen sales, with a few, like LTS sales only once. Included are a number of "no event, spin again next week" spots.

Or it could be a special dev only lock box system, with items such as LTS sales and new Rom ships only found in the epic category.....
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    yeah my Jem sits at level 12 equipment and will indefinitely until the upgrade weekend. If there is never another one he will die at level 12 and not shed a tear. IOW I can outlast cryptic.

This is a comment that deserves the "LOL!" button. It is a shame they took that one out.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    The last one was in June, it's been 5 months.

June(6) 13th to October(10) 7th. Math checks out. ;)

While I do agree that it's been a long time since the last upgrade weekend, we both agree that running them has an impact on the in-game economy. I think we both also agree that they ought not be run them frequently because of that impact.

If we're in agreement on those two points, I can't see that running an upgrade weekend within the next week or two, then running one in Nov or early Dec would likely happen. Of course, I'd like them to run one now. But, if they had to choose, then I'd rather they wait for us to complete Tier 6 leveling to get new equipment, especially if the other option is to wait several more months. We all know we'd also want an upgrade weekend after the Omega event. Given the scarcity of upgrade events this year, what are the odds that they'd run one now, then one after we've all gotten the tier 6 reputations, than a third one right after Omega is done?

None of this is to say that they ought not rethink the calendar for upgrade weekends. I think they ought to run about four of them with an additional 1-2 based on expansions or recruitment events when a lot of new alts are being made.

And I do care what impact it would have on AoD, as well as their economics. I've invested too much time and money into this game not to be concerned about how these types of decisions impact the overall game health, even if I'm sitting on 1000 Phoenix upgrades right now and it doesn't make me happy in the short-term.

I don't think that the developers care much about the dilithium exchange price. They've only ever reacted to it when it got too close to the cap, which would eventually hurt their bottom line. Too long at the cap and people who buy Zen to get dilithium will begin to feel that the cap is causing them to not get their money's worth, and they would stop buying Zen for that purpose.

I also don't see where an Upgrade Event every 2.5 months or so, the average for the past 2 full calendar years, had much of a lasting effect on the economy. The truth is that the exchange rate has remained remarkably stable for the last couple of years, since the introduction of the Phoenix Prize Pack, then the introduction of the Colony holding.

There have been times in those past 2 full calendar years where we've had 3 Upgrade Events in just over 3 months' time (early February, mid-March and early May last year) and 2 of those were about 5 weeks apart, so they're not averse to running them close together. Again, the exchange didn't collapse after those, so it's not that big of a concern.

All that unlocks for gear at Tier 6 is alternate energy types for weapons. While that is a nice addition, it's not likely going to result in an absolute flood of new things to be upgraded, so it honestly shouldn't be that big of a concern for planning an Upgrade Event around that. People have waited 4 months now, they can wait 3 or so to get those upgraded, assuming they don't run another before the Anniversary Event ends.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    The last upgrade weekend was the second weekend after VIL so there'll be a lot of jems who wouldn't have had the time to get the rep gear ground out by the time it was done.

If they'd put it back by a week or two the timing would have been better for catching more folk with characters wanting/needing upgraded.

I got my jem the quantum torp from sunrise and bumped it to mk15 for the recruit thing. Gear progression stagnates and becomes pointless because the game scales to the players level so until cryptic add actual regular content to push the player into doing so there's no real need to upgrade from 12 save for peer pressure.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Maybe they've decided to make upgrades "valuable all year round," the same way they did with the marks-to-dil conversions. :p
  • Options
    warpangel wrote: »
    Maybe they've decided to make upgrades "valuable all year round," the same way they did with the marks-to-dil conversions. :p

This would be pretty typical of them. :smiley:
  • Options
    nejdinenejdine Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    Now with these Phoenix events, who does these to get the ships? Hmm? They're not even account-wide.
    While i did miss the T6 Lukaari ship and the T6 Breen destroyer, they do not appeal to me as a single character unlock.
    Nah, i do Phoenix boxes to get the upgrade thingies! :) It's been 2 of those events since my return and i think the upgrade weekend is about to hit us any week now. At the latest prior to the winter event.

Gosh, i need my andorian awesomely blue phasers and pink phased polarons upgraded! :smiley:
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    A friendly little wager, they will wait for DISCO toons to hit tier5 reps and getting gear.

Upgrade weekend in december.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User

The duration since the last Upgrade Weekend is simply ridiculous. Running 2 Phoenix Events in the mean time was even dumber. The last Phoenix Promotion had no effect on the Dilithium Market because everyone was already sitting on piles of upgrades from the last event.

Zactly. I skipped the recent Phoenix event altogerher, as I'm still sitting on 1,200 Phoenix Upgrades from the previous one, waiting to be applied on an, you know, Upgrade Weekend.

Zactly.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited October 2018

I got a good laugh there yesterday when Ezria mentioned that a “sacrifice for the upgrade god” might be required for the next weekend to come. A millisecond after that Tune had already replied “Not me!!!” in chat so I’m open to suggestions here, Sea. >:)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    edited October 2018

I got a good laugh there yesterday when Ezria mentioned that a “sacrifice for the upgrade god” might be required for the next weekend to come. A millisecond after that Tune had already replied “Not me!!!” in chat so I’m open to suggestions here, Sea. >:)

Just trick Kyle into being the sacrifice.

Pull the strings puppet master.. pull the strings. :smiley:
  • Options

Hey that’s a good idea! Sitting on phoenix tokens worth 2,5 million Dil or so (tendency rising) I’m as close to killing my best buddy for an upgrade weekend as it can get. :D
    animated.gif
  • Options
    lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,407 Arc User
    Sure am loving how they moved these to weekend events! So great for the players! I might see it again in three months! :D Instead of once a day for an hour. Golly that was so inconvenient then.

Did you catch the sarcasm? :P
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • Options
    lexusk19 wrote: »
    Sure am loving how they moved these to weekend events! So great for the players! I might see it again in three months! :D Instead of once a day for an hour. Golly that was so inconvenient then.

Did you catch the sarcasm? :P
    1. Upgrades didn't even exist when there were hourly events, so they were never moved anywhere.
    2. Yes, the hourly events were very inconvenient. Always hate those in every game that has them. Nothing is ever on when you log in.
  • Options

Hey that’s a good idea! Sitting on phoenix tokens worth 2,5 million Dil or so (tendency rising) I’m as close to killing my best buddy for an upgrade weekend as it can get. :D
    You know talk like that is just what Cryptic needs to justify making them "valueable all year," yes? That's why they ruined the dil and mark weekends, to stop people "hoarding" things to use during the weekend.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

You know talk like that is just what Cryptic needs to justify making them "valueable all year," yes? That's why they ruined the dil and mark weekends, to stop people "hoarding" things to use during the weekend.

Considering that I sell 300-500 upgraders every single day in game with price shifts only attached to phoenix box availabilities the past year(s) I have my doubts that my forum input changes their mind from the data they can collect in game. If they don’t feel the need to make an upgrade weekend pal then it is because most peeps are as happily upgrading as they are without one.

Besides after all those forum nerf request towards meta builds in the past and your own enthusiasm about a good dil to zen ratio at the cost of fleet holding sinks (that players like me make feasible) you forgive me if I give some wet poo about your concerns here when I fool a bit about the topic. ;)
    animated.gif
  • Options
    Considering that I sell 300-500 upgraders every single day in game with price shifts only attached to phoenix box availabilities the past year(s) I have my doubts that my forum input changes their mind from the data they can collect in game. If they don’t feel the need to make an upgrade weekend pal then it is because most peeps are as happily upgrading as they are without one.

It's true.. the percentage of the player base that hordes upgrades for upgrade weekends is surprisingly small. Some players don't know better, some have to have everything right now, others.. just don't care about the cost. The fact is, withholding Upgrade weekends really just annoys a small group that are trying to be the most efficient with their upgrades. Most players have no idea when the last upgrade weekend was, have no theory on when the next one will be and a good percentage would probably answer 'what's an upgrade weekend?'

If they're holding off on these events intentionally then I don't know why. The only reason I can think of is that they're trying to keep the Dilithium exchange rate high so that people use cash instead. Personally, as annoyed as I might be.. I am not giving in.. I have plenty of gear to outfit my ships while I wait. I'm not burning my kits until I get the maximum possible return. In the meantime, I'll just keep stockpiling my resources in between events.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I haven't seen much movement on the dil exchange on upgrade weekends over the past year or so. Maybe 10 points. I think this one might move it a little - though I was slow on my Jem and wasn't prepared at all to upgrade when the last weekend hit. Maybe most others were prepared and don't care so much.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

This discussion has been closed.