What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Streamlining the Mission Journal

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > jcsww wrote: »
    > The Klingons already lack a full fledged story after the last round of gutting.
    >
    > Literally what?
    >
    > Klingons have the same story missions they have always had.

Actually they had far less when I started, and they started at level 25.
    I remember when they started at level 8.... and had to grind dailies to get to 25.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • palinell69palinell69 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    So are Players going to have to TRAVEL to these places to get the missions???? this will cause them to be missed by the VAST majority of new players if they are not in that journal Tab. I have slowly, as my sons aged added them to this game, and seen first hand the struggles of finding Content in this game. Those Stories in the JOURNAL with packed arcs was the only Streamline thing you HAVE.

And now you want to ruin that too.

If this is to force Discovery stuff on us, you can kiss four accounts good bye. My entire family.
  • archangulusarchangulus Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Just sort out the bugs and accolades Cryptic.
    Its so annoying having accolades that are incompletable.
    The missions of the breen set rarely give us their capital ships even on elite.
    Come on lets balance things out people!
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    With the streamlining does this mean the cutscenes will be universally skippable?

Will there still be those blockages caused by the time war stuff being unskippable because crey is a pedantic *redacted*who lies about the status of the timeline every time my PS4 temporal agent logs in?

Will romulans still have to visit ESD or qonos before they are allowed to participate in the building of THEIR own homeworld?

I'm guessing changing mission locations to reduce the timepadding travels is probably not on the cards.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    millybun wrote: »
    Every time these "streamlining content" updates happen, it always seems like there's even less STO than there was before.

Give it a few week or two and the Foundry will have added more STO to compensate for the loss. What helps to find missions is to keep an eye on major community events (see. my sig, challenge missions will be ready on September 21), note the authors you like, and follow their work and collaborations. Those will probably lead to other anthologies (ex. AEI) where you can continue working along the network of the active Foundry community.

There's also http://www.foundrymissions.com, a community site where top notch authors have posted most of their work. We've got more search tools there than in-game as well. :)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • badgerpants999badgerpants999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    One other thought, if your revamping episodes, please change things so that my Bridge Officers only come in with the next bit of dialogue AFTER my ship drops out of Red Alert. So many times I've just killed the last ship in an encounter and then my bridge officer pipes up with the next objective, the other ships warp core explodes and my ship takes damage because it stopped moving to listen to my Bridge Officer. Just have them wait until I go back to green alert or even just yellow.
  • alexsanderitaalexsanderita Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    Great news indeed,

it was time the starting missions block - the presentation to the game - got the love it needed.

You achieved greater and greater experiences with the mastering of the tools

and the Klingon War fed side expecially came to an age where it could discourage new players from committing.

I wonder what wonders you will came up with in rebranding your story in a more up-to-date environment!

Also stepping aside the most boring stuff from the leveling process of our alts is a great thing!
    I still dream from time to time about using the Gateway to doff off-game in spare minutes as we were told
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    They have to remove some Missions. The remaining are being updated to current Standards, and they simply couldn't afford celebrity voice overs for everything. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    There needs to be a side story tab in the mission journal that readily displays all these extra arcs so people don't need to bend over backwards searching for them. Heck, a lot of new players probably wouldn't even know they exist.​​
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
    Oh yeah, those rep lore bits... while they're nice and all.... I'm not doing them on every character. I don't care how nice the dialogs with Nereda are. If I want to enjoy the story there's a replay button for that. Until then the unskippable mission will remain undone because I don't feel like doing it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    There is a Feedback Thread for the Streamlining in the Tribble Forums because the initial release of this is on Tribble now.
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1243359/official-feedback-thread-for-streamlining-the-mission-journal
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    You don't have enough places to cram Garek in so you're taking some away
    GwaoHAD.png
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    millybun wrote: »
    Every time these "streamlining content" updates happen, it always seems like there's even less STO than there was before.

Give it a few week or two and the Foundry will have added more STO to compensate for the loss. What helps to find missions is to keep an eye on major community events (see. my sig, challenge missions will be ready on September 21), note the authors you like, and follow their work and collaborations. Those will probably lead to other anthologies (ex. AEI) where you can continue working along the network of the active Foundry community.

There's also http://www.foundrymissions.com, a community site where top notch authors have posted most of their work. We've got more search tools there than in-game as well. :)

True, except the more things are added to the foundry list the harder it will be to find those missions that put the full time devs to shame. Unless as you mention we got to a 3rd party site.

It's also not an option open to console players.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    We’ve taken out the “Wasteland,” “Spectres,” “Breen Invasion,” and “2800/Lost Dominon” mission groups in this fashion, so you can still play them, you just won’t be sent directly to them as part of the leveling process.
    I have to at least thank Cryptic for keeping these story missions in game while trimming the leveling process.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • silentknight118silentknight118 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I Wonder if this journal update will break the foundry? sounds really good but I feel pretty excited for AoD seeing all these plans :)
    edited September 2018
    That's why I believe, even though these systems look like they're early on, that AoD will probably go live on October 2nd.
    Post edited by ltminns on
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • masterproteusmasterproteus Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    Gutting the game some more eh?

You should have two mission journals, one for main story lines, and one for miscellaneous. Also, you can skip missions. And another thing, Wasteland was related to the Iconian/Romulan story and the Breen arc introduces the preservers, so what you said is complete and utter nonsense. If you remove the Preservers arc, that one scene in the Iconian storyline will make zero sense when people get to it. Instead of just removing missions entirely from the main progression, simply fine-tune and shorten them. That Undine finale was really, really, really, REALLY long, man.

Your game is becoming more and more barren, the more you "streamline" the less content survives. While you're at it, make those Yesterday's War missions skippable, whoever decided they should not be skippable should not be working on this game because they don't have the players best interest at heart.
    Yesterday's War Missions will be skippable. Now they have to do the same with Future Proof.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited September 2018
    Take a look at the chart near the end of the Thread noted below to see where Missions stand as of the Tribble build right now:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1243359/official-feedback-thread-for-streamlining-the-mission-journal
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • aricamarajade#4600 aricamarajade Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    Removing even more from game. I have played the old 4400 arc, and some of my friends never have.
    The wasteland arc is fun, and for none Romulans important for the Romulan arc, story wise.
    If there would be 1 arc which needed a true revamp was the Fed arc, time consuming misions, which is just there to time gate progression.
    You destroyed several mission by level scaling (Dyson undine fight, the Klingon BoP mission. All the stuff where u don't use your own stuff, and face an enemy which scaled.
    Revamping arcs are part of a living game. Tweaking also.
    The good news is that they don't disappear (yet) from the game like several others and some zones.

With each new AoD post you make me dislike the game more and more. Now removing the STO trek i actually like.
    It's still better then the ninja changes which made such missions worse (Garack who wants Kanar).
    Or Buggs which became game features (Gorn uniforms do not unlock account wide).

Instead of removing or ninja updating, you could fix existant stuff, streamline it with rebundeling arcs in a proper way.
    Without breaking previous things (AoY / Delta event related stuff). Your adding AoD anyway, so why make it less?
    Adding the skip function for Arcs instead of missions wuld have been more usefull.

Hopefully it's more up to date then the Landing Page.
    One thing to note is that, while they aren't in the tribble mission journal currently, Cryptic did say on twitch that "City on the Edge of Never” and “Past Imperfect” will not be going away, since those are their Leonard Nimoy missions, and they basically can't get rid of them because of that. They did suggest that we might see them fused down into one mission, which is why I suspect they aren't on tribble right now.

I could also see them doing the same with “Hide and Seek” and “Stop the Signal”, since that was basically one mission split into two parts anyways.
    The devs have done a thing where missions would actually start other missions while you're playing them. "City on the Edge of Never” automatically starting “Past Imperfect” was one example of this.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • stol#4062 stol Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Oh my God, this is the largest single content hatchet job in the history of the game. Worse than losing the star cluster missions, and far worse than losing diplomatic first contact missions and task force Omega.

I was just looking at the mission journal the other day and thinking, wow, leveling up from 0 - 65 is actually fun since you can pretty much do it all on missions. Cryptic is looking at that and thinking the same thing - except for them, getting up from nothing to 65 entirely on missions that are handed to the player through the journal makes it too easy. They make their money by making it a tedious grind, and then offering quick and easy "pay to remove annoyance" options. So, no nice loaded mission journal for us. Go find the missions yourself.

This is something that should have the community up in arms. Our goal is to have a fun game. Their goal is to make money off this game model. Our goals are not the same. Thing is, they work for us

Sure, if they want to polish some of the missions, great, polish them. I'm all for it. But leave the missions in the journal. All of them. All the story arcs make sense and flow more or less nicely. Pulling them out of the journal today is just a prelude to ripping them out of the game entirely tomorrow based on disuse.
    Ex Turbo Modestum
    The devs have done a thing where missions would actually start other missions while you're playing them. "City on the Edge of Never” automatically starting “Past Imperfect” was one example of this.
    I will be perfectly honest, I am not entirely sure how this post was meant to relate to what I said.
    Supporting evidence for the idea that those missions were written to be pieces of a single story. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing