What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Some prep for the coming of Discovery

Comments

• Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    Discovery is close enough to being a reboot. If CBS had said it was a reboot, there'd be very little to argue against it being a reboot. I'd actually like to see someone make a valid argument of Discovery not actually being a reboot if CBS had said it was; that'd be an interesting debate... Cause honestly, the only non-rebooty thing about Discovery is CBS saying it wasn't one!

And the video is funny. So 'close enough' works. ;)
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    It exists in the same continuity as all other entries in the franchise. It is not a reboot. It's the exact opposite.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Yeah it changed visuals, but as artan said it is the same universe, same timeline.

Yeah, it is in the same timeline if we ignore all the time travel in Enterprise. The Xindi attack did not happen in the original timeline according to Daniels. So the Xindi attack created a new timeline where the Xindi attack happened vs the original timeline where it didn't. The only way for the timeline to remain the same is if every single instance of time travel involves predestination paradox which is obviously not the case when Daniels constantly mentions that this event wasn't supposed to happen.
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    starkaos wrote: »
    Yeah it changed visuals, but as artan said it is the same universe, same timeline.

Yeah, it is in the same timeline if we ignore all the time travel in Enterprise. The Xindi attack did not happen in the original timeline according to Daniels. So the Xindi attack created a new timeline where the Xindi attack happened vs the original timeline where it didn't. The only way for the timeline to remain the same is if every single instance of time travel involves predestination paradox which is obviously not the case when Daniels constantly mentions that this event wasn't supposed to happen.
    Heh, temporal dynamics. How do we not know that the shows are the result of that Xindi attack, and it's actually Daniels' past which is the different timeline?
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    > flash525 said:
    > starkaos wrote: »
    >
    > azrael605 wrote: »
    >
    > Yeah it changed visuals, but as artan said it is the same universe, same timeline.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Yeah, it is in the same timeline if we ignore all the time travel in Enterprise. The Xindi attack did not happen in the original timeline according to Daniels. So the Xindi attack created a new timeline where the Xindi attack happened vs the original timeline where it didn't. The only way for the timeline to remain the same is if every single instance of time travel involves predestination paradox which is obviously not the case when Daniels constantly mentions that this event wasn't supposed to happen.
    >
    >
    >
    > Heh, temporal dynamics. How do we not know that the shows are the result of that Xindi attack, and it's actually Daniels' past which is the different timeline?

Getting into fanon like that one could claim we have been following a different timeline since Parallels, or First Contact, or The Voyage Home, but thats just fanwank.

From what's on screen, it's impossible to time travel without any trace in Star Trek canon, something is always changed, this is on screen canon from the crew of the USS Reletivity (on Voyager).

For example, Edith Keeler's last days were not remotely the same as they were the first time. A certain Cetatian scientist is recorded by history as a suicide, she wasn't before George and Gracie left. Who exactly was Zephram Chocrane's co-pilot supposed to be? Etc, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

Daniels himself wasn't from the Prime Timeline, hell he may not even be mortal.

Can we confirm that First Contact is a predestination paradox? Having the Borg invading Earth along with Earth's First Contact with Vulcans could cause the start of a series of events that created Section 31 assuming that Section 31 wasn't the delusions of a rogue Starfleet Officer. So because the original First Contact was with friendly Vulcans instead of hostile Borg, then there was no Section 31 in TOS and TNG until the timeline was changed with the Borg invading 21st Century Earth. Having the Borg invade would result in a pragmatic view of the universe rather than an idealistic view.

As far as the Borg invading due to a subspace signal they sent off in Regeneration, it is likely the result of a temporal loop created by First Contact and Regeneration. The original timeline had the Borg try to invade Earth in the Battle of Wolf 359 unrelated to the subspace signal which results in the Borg traveling back in time and finally send the subspace signal. In all subsequent timelines, the reason the Borg try to invade Earth is due to the subspace signal instead of the initial reason the Borg tried to invade Earth.

With the amount of time travel in Star Trek, is there even a Prime Timeline? My personal guess is the first few episodes of TOS. Every time someone travels to the past, the present is changed. The change could be extremely minor like a mention of a lunatic in an ancestor's diary or extremely noticeable like Janeway no longer exists due to her ancestor deciding to take a vacation in South America during the Xindi attack. After all, killing millions of people that weren't supposed to die in the Xindi attack would result in people not being born and different people being born.