test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO via Steamplay on Linux, it works.

cronoprimecronoprime Member Posts: 31 Arc User
Heads up for any Linux users who had the bad luck of not being able to keep the game working in WINE. STEAM has a new compatibility feature using a customized WINE they call Photon...and it WORKS without fiddling.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/221410/announcements/detail/1696055855739350561

Basically opt into the Beta, change the settings to let you try it with any game, and you're good to go.

Tested it out on Fedora 28, quad-core 2.8Ghz phenom II, 16GB RAM, GTX1050TI, performance isn't perfect, but it's acceptable. (ground seems a little bit jerky). I'd left the game as a Captain(35), logged in ran a space encounter and did the storyline mission I was on when I quit PC STO, Temporal Ambassador, gained 2 levels.

The hard part about returning to the game is that I've become accustomed to the pacing and UI of the PS4 version. Need to change my targeting and camera settings. And I do miss the "FFXII gambit style" conditional skill system.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    Woooooo! I may finally ditch Windows if this holds up. No more forced updates that changes things without my say so, no more interfaces that require 3rd party add-ons to turn in to something useful because someone tried and failed to get in to mobile, no more integrated spyware in to the OS, no more threat of Windows as a service fee. It's a shame more companies don't make their games platform neutral but at least Steam's taking a crack at that nut.
    Post edited by nimbull on
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    spatchmanspatchman Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I ditched windows completely 2years ago and one of the bonuses was that it got me off of my STO addiction. Now it works excellently on steamplay and for my sins I'm back in STO. I see very little has changed.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,343 Community Moderator
    Necro /Thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.