Options

Why are most of pve queues empty??

1235»

Comments

• Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    And now you're applauding him too. LOL. What a strange world we live in, where ppl cheer others for having so many ship injuries, they go to an injury overflow bag even, and leaving it all like that. More power to you both! But I'm not like that at all. :)
    It gets better. If you allow your overflow bag to fill up with ship injuries, and then take them all while on the ground, it will fill your ground injury bag with ship injuries that do nothing to you, so that all ground injuries then go to the overflow bag, and can be claimed on your ship. Then both your ship and groundperson are totally immune to injuries and all injures just go to the overflow bag. In fact, if you're not careful, this will happen purely by accident.

But doesn't that mean you have to leave many injuries on your ship, before they even go into the overflow bag?! I saw a person in Swarm Advanced, not too long ago, who 'collected' (his words) ship injuries. But he also said his ship could hardly move any more, from all the injuries. So, one or two may not do much harm, but a lot of them apparently do.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    > @meimeitoo said:
    > ruinthefun wrote: »
    >
    > meimeitoo wrote: »
    >
    > And now you're applauding him too. LOL. What a strange world we live in, where ppl cheer others for having so many ship injuries, they go to an injury overflow bag even, and leaving it all like that. More power to you both! But I'm not like that at all. :)
    >
    >
    >
    > It gets better. If you allow your overflow bag to fill up with ship injuries, and then take them all while on the ground, it will fill your ground injury bag with ship injuries that do nothing to you, so that all ground injuries then go to the overflow bag, and can be claimed on your ship. Then both your ship and groundperson are totally immune to injuries and all injures just go to the overflow bag. In fact, if you're not careful, this will happen purely by accident.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > But doesn't that mean you have to leave many injuries on your ship, before they even go into the overflow bag?! I saw a person in Swarm Advanced, not too long ago, who 'collected' (his words) ship injuries. But he also said his ship could hardly move any more, from all the injuries. So, one or two may not do much harm, but a lot of them apparently do.

Well that's interesting I didn't know the injuries were cumulative. Makes me wanna try it and see just how ineffective I can get lol
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    Strangely, they were SUPPOSED to have fixed injuries going to the overflow bag long ago. But, you know...

Why, you're right about this one, for sure: if there's no money in it for Cryptic, bugs won't get fixed.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    The only good idea cryptic had when they came up with the gamma waiting zone was the reward that increased by how much you did in the lead up to the boss phase, especially handy when the boss queue NEVER pops.

Implementation was the usual mess but more than one idea per year is probably quite a strain.

One option for RA's would be to make them act as one queue entry which randomises the enemy the group encounters, remove the choice box or whittle it down to fleet marks or specific rep and expand the pool of enemies to cover all the various reps. So one RA you'd fight the borg and the next you may be against the iconians.
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,988 Arc User
    As someone else pointed out...if only players who know what they're doing and have tuned their ships properly ever play a queue...how does one learn?
    Imagine some other new player who's trying advanced or elite queues for the first time...they don't know if they can handle it until they try. Maybe give some players a break while they learn what they can handle and how to find their place in more advanced queues.
    ...what happened to playing because you enjoy it? I enjoy playing different queues because I enjoy playing the game
    Don't come down too badly on some players who seem a little lost or struggling to pull their weight, they're not always greedy etc etc players some are just taking their first steps into a broader world.
    You make some excellent points. The first step in dealing with those with little patience for newer players just learning a queue is an adjustment in your own attitude. Words cannot describe the sense of freedom that can be achieved by typing "brb, grabbing a sandwich" into team chat for the very first time and watching the responses you get back. Often you'll get "cheers mate, you can't fight on an empty stomach" and other interesting responses. This works best in an advanced or elite queue with a soft or hard fail. These people have fully guilded gold ground and space gear with fancy lockbox ships and lobi gear so are well equipped and will be more than happy to put that gear to good use.

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    really, you couldn't design a better system for creating unused queues than Cryptic's already put into place.
    You could... if you made it so everything had the same reward. Sure there's not a huge difference from how it is now with choice boxes as the most popular content. But it would be marginally worse.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    As someone else pointed out...if only players who know what they're doing and have tuned their ships properly ever play a queue...how does one learn?

They learn by having Cryptic homogenize the Normal, Advanced, and Elite queues, so that it's essentially the same queue, but only with extra difficulty/optionals. Then ppl can start off with Normal, and work their way up, without being clueless (again) when moving up.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    They learn by having Cryptic homogenize the Normal, Advanced, and Elite queues, so that it's essentially the same queue, but only with extra difficulty/optionals. Then ppl can start off with Normal, and work their way up, without being clueless (again) when moving up.
    patrickngo wrote: »
    [...]what's to learn?[...]
    What's to learn? The point being made (scroll up and read some previous posts to get some background on where he's coming from dang it) is that said normal, advanced, elite learning progression are on the verge of not working for some queues as said queues are so lightly populated. Patrick, it's easy for a game veteran like yourself to ask what's to learn. It's wasn't that long ago I got cussed out for forgetting a biological sample lol. There are also some very unforgiving attitudes out there.

Put yourself in the place of a new player who has played none of the queues but wants to progress and then compare this to your own experience starting out with a far higher queue population back in the day. You probably got to play a lot of the lesser played queues and managed to master them before they died as well.

Between this post and the top of page various people have framed the issue quite eloquently as well as provided a good sample of the attitude part.

• Options
    [But doesn't that mean you have to leave many injuries on your ship, before they even go into the overflow bag?! I saw a person in Swarm Advanced, not too long ago, who 'collected' (his words) ship injuries. But he also said his ship could hardly move any more, from all the injuries. So, one or two may not do much harm, but a lot of them apparently do.
    It's possible, but here's the thing:

1. You can remove the injuries once you have accomplished the task, since the goal is merely to acquire surplus injuries that you can then stuff into the bag of the wrong venue. You want to stuff your ship with 50 *GROUND* injuries and your groundtoon with 50 SHIP injuries.

2. No matter how ineffective your torpedo launchers become, it doesn't matter if you don't actually have any torpedoes. You can thus curate the injury collection to keep only injuries that have no effect.
    Still find it amazing that Cryptic's tutorials have misled the player base about injuries all these years. It's nice to get some proper direction on game mechanics for a change.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    [But doesn't that mean you have to leave many injuries on your ship, before they even go into the overflow bag?! I saw a person in Swarm Advanced, not too long ago, who 'collected' (his words) ship injuries. But he also said his ship could hardly move any more, from all the injuries. So, one or two may not do much harm, but a lot of them apparently do.
    It's possible, but here's the thing:

1. You can remove the injuries once you have accomplished the task, since the goal is merely to acquire surplus injuries that you can then stuff into the bag of the wrong venue. You want to stuff your ship with 50 *GROUND* injuries and your groundtoon with 50 SHIP injuries.

2. No matter how ineffective your torpedo launchers become, it doesn't matter if you don't actually have any torpedoes. You can thus curate the injury collection to keep only injuries that have no effect.
    This sounds far more interesting than normal gameplay. I'm not sure what to think of that.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    If I blow up in Advanced the first thing I do while waiting for the countdown to expire is to check if I have injuries and repair them immediately. I have a large number of repair 'tokens' in my Bank.

I'm quite sure what this damage overflow dodge is all about, Space for Ground and vice versa. That discussion brought this to mind from 'Ghostbusters'

DEAN YEAGER
    'Dr. Venkman, we believe that the purpose of science is to serve mankind. You, however, seem to regard science as some kind of dodge or hustle. Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy and your conclusions are highly questionable. You, Dr. Venkman, are a poor scientist.'
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    @patrickngo I fully agree with your analysis of the queues and the problems they face, and your suggestions are exactly what the game needs. Sadly though it'll never get any of that. There's too many people who would throw a temper tantrum if the RA's lost their universal mark boxes, too many who would loose their minds if sub-2 min ISA or CCA runs didn't pay out all their needed rewards in an easy mode cake-walk.

This game needs some serious rejuvenation for the endgame side of things and the queues are pretty much the only endgame there is.
    Sitting looking at dead queue lists, dressing up your captain, playing exchange pvp, or running endless ISA's to tweak a build you can barely use anywhere else is a poor excuse for content worthy of a top end character in an 8yr old game.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    well, it would have to be bracketed, obviously. But in general terms, two teams of 30-39's are going to be a HELL of a lot closer than two teams of 61-65s, or even 50-60's, just on the basis that the bulk of the unbalanced, poorly-thought-out powercreep doesn't hit before level 50.
    Are you kidding? You want to form TWO teams of level-bracketed new players? That will never happen. If you're going to restrict it to a level band, you may as well just not have them, because there simply are not that many players of that level range and there is no way to KEEP a character in that level range because you're not permitted to stop levelling. Low-level gameplay thus doesn't exist. In easymode queues, lowbies are thus permitted to mingle with the rest of the real players, just so something will pop at all, even thought they're actually completedly uncompetitive and are basically just carried kicking and screaming to the conclusion.
    Yeah, most people who runs queues at low levels do it a relatively small number of times as they power level to 65.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    Are queues really all that needed at low levels? I mean you level up so fast with the single player missions you can be 50-60 before you even get to the Borg arc. Just doesn’t seem to be much point in worrying about too many queues for people in the levelling process beyond SB24 etc to grind a bit of dilithium.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    I suppose that makes sense.
    From a fed perspective it’s less of an issue I guess as you’ve got a tonne of specific missions to run, even the cross faction ones are pretty fed-centric.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    and the temporal missions are not skippable, it is really boring.

I'm a rom and kdf player, and most of the time, it's really frustating to do the missions; because they take the point of view of the federation. As a kdf-rom player i would like to play missions suited for these 2 factions.

there is an unknown part of space at the south of Q'onos, let the kdf armies make glorious battles and conquest in this area.

Even for the ships, it is really frustrating. They are pale copies of federation, like the last released raptor. same seats, same 3 new nacelles or whatever they are.

In my opinion, the kdf missions are the best. the apotheosis is the death of Alexander (even if the animations are now broken).
    Post edited by sennahcherib on
This discussion has been closed.