Install Arc
Options

Closing the gap between received or purchased and max level gear

2»

Comments

• Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    I don't understand this "Push to Epic Mark 15" business. You don't really need to push it that far.
    You do want to feel like you are actually playing a game. Not just vaporizing things, right?

People want to do things the best way they know how. Like no football player would actually start a game with one hand tied to his back. Likewise, STO players don't want to gimp themselves unnecessarily either, even when things could be done with lesser gear.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I don't understand this "Push to Epic Mark 15" business. You don't really need to push it that far.
    You do want to feel like you are actually playing a game. Not just vaporizing things, right?

People want to do things the best way they know how. Like no football player would actually start a game with one hand tied to his back. Likewise, STO players don't want to gimp themselves unnecessarily either, even when things could be done with lesser gear.

I have my doubts that improving gear to Epic Mark 15 helps much with the way a player performs in the game. Because a football player goes IN knowing they are playing with a team...and not all by themselves. They, also, do things like, study the play book, and practice.

Tying the arm behind the back is probably not what STO Players are doing....they are going in with blinders on...never looking at how everyone else is doing.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options

I have my doubts that improving gear to Epic Mark 15 helps much with the way a player performs in the game.

Haven't done a deep analysis, but, with my recent new Jem, I noticed the difference in listed DPS between a purple Mk XII KCB and one at Epic Mk XV, was almost doubled! So, it probably matters some.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    No...because the mentality is the same. "I am here to go at it by myself...therefore must have every bit of DPS."

OH sorry...please read my edits.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    try to fight the tzenkheti in an advanced stf with MK XII gear, good luck; bring with you a lot of stuff to repare your ship. you need MK XIV UR/epic or MK XV UR/Epic gears because some mobs are just flying bricks and without dps you can't destroy them. there is something strange in the borg stfs, it is easier to destroy a cube than a single sphere, so good luck with MK XII weapons, because there is always more spheres than cubes, and these spheres hit hard; with dps, you are condemned to be destroyed a lot of time. someone said in an other thread: dps or die.

I pug the stfs all the time, no premade team, and without my dps and the dps of some other players, all these stfs would be a real nightmare, i saw pathetic things in "borg disconnected advanced". And i'm not a dpsers: 40k in ISA with my main.

oh forgotten the terran stf, where the mobs are totaly overpowered, their torp spread are insane, i mean 100k hull in 1 shot. this sft is the best example of a stupid mechanic. thx the devs. 1 torp spread and you are dead. it is a job done by a lazy team, they gave to the mobs high hp and high crit. ridiculous. who want to do these stfs at advanced?
    Post edited by sennahcherib on
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    warpangel wrote: »
    You know, if this were a different kind of game, all items would come at mk1 white, barring special occasions.
    Everything coming at MK 1 white would represent an enormous improvement. I would MUCH rather be trying to upgrade my rep junk from MK 1 white than the present state.

Why? Mark II VR would be obviously superior since you're already 3 steps closer to the main goal.. Epic Rarity. A mark 1 white would mean you needed to improve rarity 5 times instead of only twice. Mark 1 VR would be an improvement, Mark 1 Common is nothing but trash.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited September 2018

Not necessarily. I could imagine we have a lot of players in game who don’t tend to mmorpgs to satisfy their urge to fulfill any minimum requirements but rather to explore and to stretch optimal possibilities available.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    You know, if this were a different kind of game, all items would come at mk1 white, barring special occasions.
    Everything coming at MK 1 white would represent an enormous improvement. I would MUCH rather be trying to upgrade my rep junk from MK 1 white than the present state.

Yeah; except you're forgetting the case where your Mk I Rep wep *won't* upgrade to Epic nicely. Will you then just throw it away by Mk VII?
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2018

I have my doubts that improving gear to Epic Mark 15 helps much with the way a player performs in the game.

Haven't done a deep analysis, but, with my recent new Jem, I noticed the difference in listed DPS between a purple Mk XII KCB and one at Epic Mk XV, was almost doubled! So, it probably matters some.

et77enjzkg311.png

Sure thing they help a great deal meimei.

While it is correct to point out that players who don’t know what to do with a build or how to act in PvE don’t profit much from upgrades they will help *you* all the more to make up for them in teamed matches. :)
    animated.gif
  • Options

et77enjzkg311.png

Sure thing they help a great deal meimei.

While it is correct to point out that players who don’t know what to do with a build or how to act in PvE don’t profit much from upgrades they will help *you* all the more to make up for them in teamed matches. :)

Wow! Thank you for this lovely graph! And your kind words, as always.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

If the thing to do is grinding dilithium (which is pretty much the only thing to do endgame, outside events), the best way is actualy to NOT waste it on upgrades. This leaves one with a good head start compared to those who blew away their money on stuff that doesn't actually let them grind that dil any faster.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

If the thing to do is grinding dilithium (which is pretty much the only thing to do endgame, outside events), the best way is actualy to NOT waste it on upgrades. This leaves one with a good head start compared to those who blew away their money on stuff that doesn't actually let them grind that dil any faster.

I always find it interesting when players in bronze put in parses from creepy pug runs in ISA with overall map durations of 10-15 minutes. Happens when a 10k-30k player becomes victim of a bad pug team where he can’t make up for the others. For me a bad run there in pugs means I end up with 100k instead of my usual 150k+ and an overall map duration of 4 minutes instead of 2.

CCa event is like twice of such an extreme as twice as many players meet and single individuals contribute heavily for the outcome of the others.

Even on maps where one only faces brief DPS checks high performance of a builds grands independence and freedom to choose what grind to tend to in the first place.

The influence on gear upgrades on the performance of a build and the resulting PvE outcome should not be underestimated considering how it speeds up any form of activity. ;)
    animated.gif
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited September 2018

I always find it interesting when players in bronze put in parses from creepy pug runs in ISA with overall map durations of 10-15 minutes. Happens when a 10k-30k player becomes victim of a bad pug team where he can’t make up for the others. For me a bad run there in pugs means I end up with 100k instead of my usual 150k+ and an overall map duration of 4 minutes instead of 2.

CCa event is like twice of such an extreme as twice as many players meet and single individuals contribute heavily for the outcome of the others.

Even on maps where one only faces brief DPS checks high performance of a builds grands independence and freedom to choose what grind to tend to in the first place.

The influence on gear upgrades on the performance of a build and the resulting PvE outcome should not be underestimated considering how it speeds up any form of activity. ;)

Very true, there is no question at all that things like upgraded weapons speed up the 'grind.'

Maybe not as much in fleet or organized runs where you have many higher performing players all on a team, but in PUG runs the value can not be over stated. When you get in a party of low performing or new players, that shiny gear and those perfect mods will help you greatly in your endeavor to carry the team kicking and screaming to victory. :smiley:
    Insert witty signature line here.
This discussion has been closed.