Install Arc
Options

STO making my computer struggle

13»

Comments

• Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    I don't think there's any need to lower the conversation to how people feel about DPS chasers, that it not required here and distracts from the discussion.
    Graphical and lag issues are affecting all sorts of people, regardless of how elite people think they are or what sort of player circles they are playing in. Let's not try to muddy the waters and pretend this only affect people of certain skills because of what content they play.

Naturally, failure to activate powers affects everyone, n00b and Elite veteran player alike. It's just that I think it's fair to say the latter will notice it more painfully (as opposed to, say, ppl who just spacebar everything). If your timing is precise, and you buff things in a very specific order, a power not activating will mess up your spiel. I can see that.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    I don't think there's any need to lower the conversation to how people feel about DPS chasers, that it not required here and distracts from the discussion.
    Graphical and lag issues are affecting all sorts of people, regardless of how elite people think they are or what sort of player circles they are playing in. Let's not try to muddy the waters and pretend this only affect people of certain skills because of what content they play.

Actually, connor had a pretty good point. The OP is talking about Hive Space Elite in premades.. this is far more graphically demanding then your 'typical' actions in Star Trek Online. It's not about raw DPS it's about visual effects. You have a group of people coordinating and firing off buffs that for some reason, the developers fell all require a visual component. It's been an ongoing issue with this game for a while now and it's starting to add up. Every power, every buff, every effect, even some star ship traits have visual components. Then the real issue comes in, the amount of enemies on a map like HSE and the visual components that they bring stacked on top of what the players are doing.

In normal content, you won't have 5 guys all hammering all of these at the same time but in a situation like HSE you do. So someone that doesn't do this type of content really has no reference to speak up on how this issue effects them. Simply put, no one cares how your PC performs when you're sitting in sector space doing admiralty or running a red alert, it's just not relevant to the issue being discussed. It's not about DPS, it's simply that people who don't pursue DPS rarely if ever run this type of content.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    bishop#7533 bishop Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    From experience I don't think its cryptic. Here is a scenereo that happened a while back i build high end gaming rigs for people and one customer of mine commissioned me to build a system for his son. All good till son started to use it and was experiencing lag. Yet at my house when he tested it no lag. Issue was his upload from internet speed was low 1-2 megs. Thats not enough when you play high visualized games and you have your settings maxed and other people in your group is using low end internet speeds for upload. I'm not seeing this is the root of these issues but it diffidently went away once he changed internet providers.

Sometimes it can be related the kind of hardware or lack or memory. best way to know is run task manager while you play your game in a different monitor. When you experience the lag look at your current taskmanager performance tab. Look to see what is exceeding 50 percent. Then you will know whats causing it. maybe its need of better quality memory sticks, or it can be hard drive performance is terrible, or cpu is malfunctioning, look at gpu to see if its being bottled necked from the pci express lanes. All this info you can obtain by looking at the performance tab to analyse your lag experience. You may have to do some work and my advice you cant compare how system handles one game vrs other. All games are codded differently. best thing is to examine your system thoroughly and have patience Im sure you will find what it is.

I read someone commenting about AMD hardware. I wish i can say something but I have not tested out the Current V2 of AMD hardware ryzen to comment.

Hi my current build from last year
    [video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlKKueRbV_8&feature=youtu.be"]https://youtube.com/watch?v=RlKKueRbV_8&feature=youtu.be[/video]
  • Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    No, the issue here is clearly Cryptic's. I won't say that there aren't any ppl who don't experience problems because of their own insufficient hardware, but it's definitely more than that.

What I'm seeing and hearing however is multiple people having troubles with the game while having absolute high-end rigs.
    As stated earlier, my PC has absolutely no troubles running whatever resource needy task I feed it. It passed all stress-tests with flying colors. And my internet is totally fine, too.

And it's not a manufacturer issue either. Yes, I personally have an AMD GPU, but in this very thread, we have ppl with Nvidia cards experiencing similar troubles, as well as some ppl who I do HSEs with.

I'm still fairly sure you just haven't been on those maps in those situations that I often participate in, and that is why you haven't encountered them.
  • Options
    bishop#7533 bishop Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    It is very foolish to assume and believe when one has a high end system it will always run state of the art. Then assume if it doesn't its not the system but the code or programming of the software. Any of the two can be the corporate. If steps are not taken to isolate the issue its always easier to blame and point the finger at the developer.

Yet I for one on state of art equipment i don't have any lag issues or problems. While someone else with slimier rig can have problems. To many anomalies if you well. Can it be the router where that isp is connecting to or hopping is malfunctioning and that has nothing to do with your system or cryptic but where the hops are going. Easy to see that from task manager performance tab when it lags look to see if its network traffic spiking. Then do a ping to server.
    http://pingserverstatus.com/startrekonline.php

also if you want to run tracert you can by entering command as shown below.

tracert patchserver.crypticstudios.com

That way you can see if its getting hanged somewhere on the net that has nothing to do with cryptic or your system.
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Near guaranteed it is all the VFX spam.

This is my main culprit right here now i think, based of what people are saying and on experience this week.
    I think coupled to this is probably non-visual calculations the game needs to make (things like all the passives, traits, buffs etc). Remember how the Command Spec stuff really clogged up the servers? Well i'd hazard a guess and say that sort of thing still happens, think how many things the game has to track in a 5 man queue: health, shields, movement, weapon states, power levels, skill values, trait stacking, cooldowns, buff, debuffs, team distance.....and that's before all the enemy stuff gets added in...and on top of that you have a mountain of visual spam that is needing to be rendered and processed on top of all of the previous stuff!
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    I have a lot of visual issues with sto that I don't with other games. Funny thing is my old PC with a lesser graphics card looks better. Sad.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    > @azrael605 said:
    > > @nikephorus said:
    > > I have a lot of visual issues with sto that I don't with other games. Funny thing is my old PC with a lesser graphics card looks better. Sad.
    >
    > See that lines up with what I was saying. This issue seems to be coming from Lighting 2.0 & older machines that won't do 2.0 don't seem to be having the same issue.

I have major issues with undine assault. I can't see any of the clouds or whatever they are that slow you down until I'm right on top of them.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Another issue i seem to get in "high activity" queues is that often my weapon effects don't render for me. Things like torps and beam/cannon fire is invisible. I see the damage tickers but nothing else.
    And on occasion if i die then even my ship won't render, making flying a dammed nightmare.

I strongly suspect the engine just cannot handle everything thrown at it and it starts cutting down on what it renders, or just locks up and lags like mad.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    > @lordsteve1 said:
    > Another issue i seem to get in "high activity" queues is that often my weapon effects don't render for me. Things like torps and beam/cannon fire is invisible. I see the damage tickers but nothing else.
    > And on occasion if i die then even my ship won't render, making flying a dammed nightmare.
    >
    > I strongly suspect the engine just cannot handle everything thrown at it and it starts cutting down on what it renders, or just locks up and lags like mad.

Oh that reminds me. When I activate timeline stabilizer a black semi transparent square covers my ship and I can't see my weapons fire.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    nikephorus wrote: »

Oh that reminds me. When I activate timeline stabilizer a black semi transparent square covers my ship and I can't see my weapons fire.

Me too, and it's annoying as hell.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    > @azrael605 said:
    > > @nikephorus said:
    > > I have a lot of visual issues with sto that I don't with other games. Funny thing is my old PC with a lesser graphics card looks better. Sad.
    >
    > See that lines up with what I was saying. This issue seems to be coming from Lighting 2.0 & older machines that won't do 2.0 don't seem to be having the same issue.

I have major issues with undine assault. I can't see any of the clouds or whatever they are that slow you down until I'm right on top of them.

Thats really not on you (or me) but rather due to the fact that most of the time only parts of the visuals load on that map. Atm we even have transparent textures there making for a facenating experience all together :/
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    I don't think it's L2.0 either, as I have always had it offline. Colors at some maps look really off and my character has that really weird halo when I have it active.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    All I know is I have to run most of STO on minimum levels to get no system lag...as opposed to ToR where I can ran things on high including shadows and still run it with no real problems.

My friend who says she can run STO decently says she has to play ToR on lower settings, to the point where she says that the cybernetic implants on Cyborgs look like they're made of rubber.

So I figure there has to be something that is negatively affecting newer equipment?
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User

Me too, and it's annoying as hell.

This was happening to me too, but stopped happening sometime or other. Not sure why.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User

I feel this almost certainly *is* Lighting 2.0 related. There are other of these 'sprite' -like effects, like on torps. Lighting 2.0 added specular mapping to the field. Wouldn't be at all surprised if these semi-transparent squares around certain things turn out to be undue materials reflections on sprites that (very obviously) should not have any specular mapping applied to them at all (or be lit up in another way).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    jamesthemmofanjamesthemmofan Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I have to congratulate Cryptic... for making STO what seems to be a totally new step in computer benchmark. A new Crysis, if you will.

I recently got a new rig, which from the sound of it would seem like a total overkill for STO. i7-8086k, RX Vega 64, an m.2 SSD. And it does everything super well - Elite: Dangerous, crypto mining, CAD, you name it. But STO... oh no, from the lag I experienced in HSE this evening, it certainly feels like STO needs something even better. So I applaud you, folks at Cryptic, for taking up this daunting task and carefully trying to provide only the best experience, for only the true elite players.

Seriously though, with my old PC, I could somehow grudgingly agree that, alright, maybe I shouldn't expect the game to run smoothly with almost maxed out settings (even tho it was, also, meeting all the recommended specs). But this is outright silly - don't even try to tell me that my rig is not capable enough. Moreover, my friends who I ran those HSEs with also had the same annoying lag, and all 3 companies (Intel, AMD, Nvidia) were represented, so I'd rule out any possible manufacturer-game conflict. And no, I don't want to believe it's my ISP either, considering STO is the only place I've so far had problems.

Yay for optimization (or lack thereof)?

Vague/clickbait titles are not allowed per FCT. Edited. -- StarSword-C

STO is poorly optimized and does make your computer work harder than it should, however that won't be the cause of your lag.

The lag will usually be caused due to one of three things - The server, your connection and/or the abilities being used in the map.

This game sort of has a problem with the calculations/procs/stacks. The bigger the buff bars, generally the more likely you are to have lag, especially if there are a lot of stacking buffs involved.

An extreme example of this is the old Jem'Hadar shield bug. Basically the shield would proc constantly, stacking upto 99 times, causing lag and eventually grinding the map to almost a halt.

Here's a video of it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8sSzD0CmvI
  • Options
    meimeitoo wrote: »

I feel this almost certainly *is* Lighting 2.0 related. There are other of these 'sprite' -like effects, like on torps. Lighting 2.0 added specular mapping to the field. Wouldn't be at all surprised if these semi-transparent squares around certain things turn out to be undue materials reflections on sprites that (very obviously) should not have any specular mapping applied to them at all (or be lit up in another way).

Lighting 2.0 has been around for quite some time. The bug with Timeline Stabilizer is fairly recent, like the last month or two. It just suddenly started happening.. been fine the entire time. It's no doubt do to a change they made with something else, or maybe a graphical update, not sure.
  • Options

STO is poorly optimized and does make your computer work harder than it should, however that won't be the cause of your lag
    Ok... reads rest of the post.
    The lag will usually be caused due to one of three things - The server, your connection and/or the abilities being used in the map.

This game sort of has a problem with the calculations/procs/stacks. The bigger the buff bars, generally the more likely you are to have lag, especially if there are a lot of stacking buffs involved.

An extreme example of this is the old Jem'Hadar shield bug. Basically the shield would proc constantly, stacking upto 99 times, causing lag and eventually grinding the map to almost a halt.

Here's a video of it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8sSzD0CmvI
    So what you're saying that... it *is* STO, after all, that's the cause of the problem? Mind you, I believe you to be absolutely correct, it's just the first sentence of your post that confuses me.
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,988 Arc User
    [...]do a ping to server.
    [...]

A few tracert questions as a refresher and to assist in troubleshooting. The link above varies quite a bit from the west coast of Canada each time you check... 266ms to low 20's. Using the command line seems more consistent.

What approximate value would be considered optimal? What approximate value would begin to interfere with game play response? How does one interpret a timed out hop which in my case is #5 every time... is it over a certain value? Here's one of mine which I did several times via cmd line, with some variation to a maximum of about 140ms but this one seeming to best represent repeatable values:

Tracing route to patchserver.crypticstudios.com [208.95.184.200]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 3 ms 2 ms 2 ms TIME-CAPSULE-87 [10.0.1.1]
    2 10 ms 3 ms 2 ms ACA801FE.ipt.aol.com [172.168.1.254]
    3 14 ms 9 ms 19 ms 10.31.168.1
    4 57 ms 52 ms 52 ms 75.154.223.211
    5 * * * Request timed out.
    6 90 ms 88 ms 101 ms bbr2.ae100.bsn.pnap.net [64.95.159.181]
    7 99 ms 96 ms 102 ms bbr1.ae4.bsn.pnap.net [64.95.158.185]
    8 89 ms 83 ms 83 ms core1.te-0-0-0-2.inapvox-32.bsn.pnap.net [64.95.158.65]
    9 79 ms 85 ms 80 ms border3.ae1-bbnet1.bsn.pnap.net [63.251.128.7]
    10 85 ms 91 ms 85 ms perfectworldent-4.border11.bsn.pnap.net [216.52.61.78]
    11 90 ms 87 ms 86 ms 198.49.243.250
    12 88 ms 86 ms 86 ms 198.49.243.253
    13 87 ms 88 ms 85 ms 208.95.184.200

• Options
    protoneous wrote: »
    [...]

A few tracert questions as a refresher and to assist in troubleshooting. The link above varies quite a bit from the west coast of Canada each time you check... 266ms to low 20's. Using the command line seems more consistent.

What approximate value would be considered optimal? What approximate value would begin to interfere with game play response? How does one interpret a timed out hop which in my case is #5 every time... is it over a certain value? Here's one of mine which I did several times via cmd line, with some variation to a maximum of about 140ms but this one seeming to best represent repeatable values:

As the packet reaches Cryptic just fine, that timeout is most probably just a router in the way that's set up to reject any ping requests.
    I would suggest you (and anyone else) to read this link to understand how traceroute works. https://www.inmotionhosting.com/support/website/how-to/read-traceroute

About optimal value, you'd want to keep your latency as low as possible, preferably below 100ms, and above ~200 it gets disturbing, however I believe STO can be mostly playable with even higher values. Your numbers seem totally fine though.
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,988 Arc User
    protoneous wrote: »
    [...]

As the packet reaches Cryptic just fine, that timeout is most probably just a router in the way that's set up to reject any ping requests.
    I would suggest you (and anyone else) to read this link to understand how traceroute works. https://www.inmotionhosting.com/support/website/how-to/read-traceroute

About optimal value, you'd want to keep your latency as low as possible, preferably below 100ms, and above ~200 it gets disturbing, however I believe STO can be mostly playable with even higher values. Your numbers seem totally fine though.
    Thanks tune. Lot's of good information in the link you provided. Much obliged.
This discussion has been closed.