test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Really struggling with making map transitions

I've watched a few Youtube videos, and I've read a couple of help topics, but I can't seem to make a map transition work. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I make three maps (one ground, one space and one indoor). I put all the objects on all of them. I then start with one of them and then after a kill mission, I'll then try to go to another map (and the flow seems to show it does it), but I can't actually transition from one map to the other.

An example: I create my 3 area mission, and then run a go through where I beam into Starfleet Headquarters. I use a door as my map change location, and when I go to the door, it gives me the map change dialog and then throws me right back at the beginning of that map again. I don't know what I'm doing wrong here.
Fleet Admiral Duane Gundrum, U.S.S. Merrimack
Fleet Admiral Ventaxa Proxmire, U.S.S. Shaka Walls Fell
Blog: http://www.sarbonn.com/?page_id=1990
Foundry series: Bob From Accounting & For the Sake of the Empire

Comments

• Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    I've watched a few Youtube videos, and I've read a couple of help topics, but I can't seem to make a map transition work. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I make three maps (one ground, one space and one indoor). I put all the objects on all of them. I then start with one of them and then after a kill mission, I'll then try to go to another map (and the flow seems to show it does it), but I can't actually transition from one map to the other.

An example: I create my 3 area mission, and then run a go through where I beam into Starfleet Headquarters. I use a door as my map change location, and when I go to the door, it gives me the map change dialog and then throws me right back at the beginning of that map again. I don't know what I'm doing wrong here.
    Map transitions are bugged and don't work in the editor, you need to publish a "test version" to test transitions. So you're doing nothing wrong, it's just that the game isn't working as it should.
  • Options
    ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    Yeah, map transitions have been bugged since forever in the editor. Don't worry about them too much, though, as long as you follow the correct procedure to make them, they will work smoothly once the mission is published.
  • Options
    littlesarbonnlittlesarbonn Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    Oh, thank you both for the responses. That makes me feel better cause this was driving me nuts. I'll try a test build tonight and see if I can get this story going.
  • Options
    Well, the map transitions are now working, but for some reason all of my enemies act friendly. I may have created peace in the galaxy, but that wasn't really my plan....
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    Well, the map transitions are now working, but for some reason all of my enemies act friendly. I may have created peace in the galaxy, but that wasn't really my plan....
    You might want to check your NPC groups there, you might have put friendly versions of the NPC/neutral versions of those NPC groups instead of the intended hostile ones.

My advice is to test maps individually first and worry about transitions only after that instead of trying to test the whole thing at one go.
  • Options
    ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User

The best way to create hostile NPC groups on a map is to use one of the premade groups in the "NPC groups" section of the library on the right. If i remember right, there's even a menu to filter these groups according to faction allegiance.
  • Options
    spiritborn wrote: »
    You might want to check your NPC groups there, you might have put friendly versions of the NPC/neutral versions of those NPC groups instead of the intended hostile ones.

My advice is to test maps individually first and worry about transitions only after that instead of trying to test the whole thing at one go.

That's exactly what happened. I was using borg mobs, and didn't realize I had chosen a friendly borg group instead of hostile. One thing I did find interesting is that even though I was using a group of friendly borg (a group of 3 probes), a large cube showed up just slightly away from those probes. I couldn't even target it, but it was there. I found that really weird.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    The Borg Cooperative can and will use Cubes to assist you in combat if that mob is coded with them. they might even use a Borg Type 3 if you're teamed with enough people to cause dreadnaughts to spawn. Yes, the devs programmed THAT monstrosity into the game. I like it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    The Borg Cooperative can and will use Cubes to assist you in combat if that mob is coded with them. they might even use a Borg Type 3 if you're teamed with enough people to cause dreadnaughts to spawn. Yes, the devs programmed THAT monstrosity into the game. I like it.

Oh okay. That's really interesting to know. It's kind of like an AI element built into the system. I really like that.
  • Options
    #1 thing to check when using Borg in Foundry: does it say "Cooperative" or "Collective"?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    #1 thing to check when using Borg in Foundry: does it say "Cooperative" or "Collective"?

Yeah, I kind of learned that the hard way. Now, I'm just having trouble fixing my maps because the foundry keeps crashing to desktop, and the only way back into the game is to restart my computer.
  • Options
    Okay, I managed to finish my mission, and I'll be polishing it up and then releasing it this weekend. Thanks for all the help.

One thing I noticed and can't seem to fix is that I got a bunch of dialog errors, and then discovered about four characters that appear as dialog, even though I've never added them. They basically just show up at random times during the adventure. Not able to get rid of them, I incorporated them into the adventure, but because my adventure has a lot of humor, it worked. But not sure this would work on my future adventures. Anyone know why this happened? Basically, it added new popup character interactions in the dialog area, even though I never did it myself.
  • Options
    Okay, I managed to finish my mission, and I'll be polishing it up and then releasing it this weekend. Thanks for all the help.

One thing I noticed and can't seem to fix is that I got a bunch of dialog errors, and then discovered about four characters that appear as dialog, even though I've never added them. They basically just show up at random times during the adventure. Not able to get rid of them, I incorporated them into the adventure, but because my adventure has a lot of humor, it worked. But not sure this would work on my future adventures. Anyone know why this happened? Basically, it added new popup character interactions in the dialog area, even though I never did it myself.
    More info is needed. what type of dialog, where is the extra box?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options

More info is needed. what type of dialog, where is the extra box?

It just added it in random spots during the mission. There's like 3 or 4 of these dialog boxes. If you play the scenario, you can tell where they are because I made them as annoying interruptions by the captain's crew while he's on the mission, mainly because I couldn't figure out how to get rid of them. I'm mentioning it here because I don't want to run into this with Part 2.

By the way, the mission is called Bob From Accounting Episode 1. All things aside, it was actually fun to make. I think my next step might be to increase the level of the enemies in it as it's easy to just plow through it. But I was thinking it was more about the story than the fighting, but there's no reason it can't be both.
  • Options
    zebgodwinzebgodwin Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    I’ve run into this problem before with orphaned popup dialogues that show up in the mission but don’t appear on the story tab. The trick is to find them on the dialogue tab and delete them from there.
    Foundry Missions by @zebgodwin
    Trouble in Trimble: An illicit Reman colony is under attack by Orion pirates. Will you defend the colony or arrest its only defender?
    Paying the Price: You must protect an uncontacted pre-warp civilization from Orion slavers, without violating the Prime Directive.
    The Mirror of Infinity: To save your ship, you must convince the descendants of the crew of the long-lost USS Infinity to work with their mortal enemies - their Mirror Universe counterparts. Part of the USS Infinity Foundry Roundtable Challenge.
    The Tholian Tempest: A rescue mission on a Y-class world leaves the away team stranded inside a Shakespeare play while under attack by Tholians and Gorn.
    The Trafalgar Paradox: A mission to locate a missing Starfleet vessel leads the away team into a mind-bending temporal paradox.
  • Options
    zebgodwin wrote: »
    I’ve run into this problem before with orphaned popup dialogues that show up in the mission but don’t appear on the story tab. The trick is to find them on the dialogue tab and delete them from there.

Wow, such a simple solution and it didn't occur to me. Thank you.