test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ground Projectile Weapons (besides the shotgun and sniper rifle)

2»

Comments

• tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Don't quote me on this, but weren't Personal Shield Generators one of the things Admiral Leyton claimed to have stockpiled in Homefront/Paradise Lost?

Something that would suggest they existed, but no-one bothered to animate them just like almost every starship shield was absent most in Dominion War battles.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    tyler002 wrote: »
    Don't quote me on this, but weren't Personal Shield Generators one of the things Admiral Leyton claimed to have stockpiled in Homefront/Paradise Lost?

Something that would suggest they existed, but no-one bothered to animate them just like almost every starship shield was absent most in Dominion War battles.

DS9 was allergic to shield effects, hence most ship based shields were entirely offline during space battles or so weak a single photon torpedo could just punch through them. Since nobody ever, before or after, used personal shield generators I like to think the mention means something like deployable, mobile shield generators because otherwise it's just one of those forgotten technologies that would be really handy, like, always but nobody ever remembers to bring one along.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    according to the lore, the advent of powerful energy cells allowed shield generators to be created in 2406.

One thing that may help Starfleet is an advance in power cell technology developed by the research teams at Memory Alpha. The new cells make personal shield generators feasible for Starfleet officers on away teams.
    "This new technology will keep our officers safe," said Starfleet spokesperson Loris Brex. "It is just one example of what the Federation can do. There is no problem that we cannot solve."
    Spock.jpg

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    the tech to build personal shield generators existed as early as TNG. WORF used one once! Worf's power supply was barely enough to last 30 seconds though. That is the main change in STO timeline, better methods to power them.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    the tech to build personal shield generators existed as early as TNG. WORF used one once! Worf's power supply was barely enough to last 30 seconds though. That is the main change in STO timeline, better methods to power them.

Well we saw two fully powered versions in the time line, about the same time as Worf's.

The borg's adaptive PSG for energy weapons. Which are powere all the time.

The Hunters, or Drai, deflector shields in DS9. Powered all the time, but requires the gauntlet on the left arm.

So for in truth, the use of a PSG for STO, would require that one constantly wear a power supply. With the way outfit works. One really does have to look at outfits as holo-projections. As we're wearing combat gear all the time.

Mm5NeXy.gif
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    An interesting idea for a non-energy based ground range weapon could be a form of rail-gun. Have it be a variation on the sniper rifle, but instead of having the sniper shot sub-fire make it that when used it turns the next shot into a kinetic aoe that is trigger by hitting the sub-fire again. It could say that normally the rounds used are a solid slug, but the sub-round is a round that has a delayed triggered explosive allowing it to become a shrapnel grenade basically.

Outside of non-energy weapons that would e fun to see added, it would be really interesting to see rapier weapons to be added. I mean yeah they would have quite quick strikes, but also really long even to the point of surprising long range attacks for a melee weapon when you take into account a lunge. Though i always thought it would have been interesting if melee weapons used more of a combination of a combo an stamina mechanic system

I got to say I kinda wish we had something like the starship traits for ground, even might be interesting if it were something linked to the kits that lost some of their usage when the kit/module systems were severed.
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    trennan wrote: »
    Matter of fact, none of the weapons listed are designed for the spray and pray of the secondary fire on assault weapons or dual pistols. So Crpytic would have to rework that to be more linear. Instead of spray and pray like we have. They'd have to redo the mechanics to make this secondary fire more accurate, and allows for strafing fire.
    Perhaps not. If I recall correctly - and anyone with relevant experience is welcome to correct as needed - many assault weapons, including those listed, do have a full-auto setting; it's just that burst-fire is the preferred mode for most cases (which is how STO 'full-auto' rifles behave, though that could also be explained as 'short burst' and 'long burst' modes).

As for the miniguns... funny thing is, most of STO's miniguns behave like larger versions of 'full-auto' rifles (I think the Tzenkethi assault weapon is an exception). Bonus: there are weapons which behave similarly to miniguns, but aren't (the misnamed piercing-beam rifles and the plasma repeater pistol).

On the subject of real-world weapons, Pancor's Jackhammer combat shotgun (despite its distinctive appearance, it's less common in games than one would think) would be an amusing one to adapt; most of the mechanics are already in place. You take Zef's shotgun, make it full-auto like the PBRs and PRPs above (but slow enough that you can squeeze off individual shells), give it a ten-shot 'magazine' in the vein of the Omega set torpedo. Then add in a couple of taskbar buttons (note that these actions have a brief channeling period/animation and can be interruped)...
    • reload: an actual magazine change, as opposed to waiting for the replacement rounds to rez in (Jackhammer must be the ready weapon);
    • 'Bear Trap': emplaces a directional mine; when triggered, it is basically the alt-fire, but with 10x the damage (Jackhammer must be equipped, but not necessarily ready). Reference: Pancor also made a resuable kit which would turn one of the ten-round drum into such a thing.
This discussion has been closed.