test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Bribing the Feresan

indysharkindyshark Member Posts: 1,543 Arc User
I am having problems finding this mission to complete the mission chain. I used wiki to find out where to look (near DS9), but I still can't find it. I assume it is an espionage mission. Any suggestions on how to find this mission?

Comments

• bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    You may have to bribe a Feresan for that information.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    It's actually a Trade assignment, which is what makes it difficult to find, since none of your Department heads handle Trade assignments. It will only be in Current Map.

It's best to check all of the blocks around Bajor for it. Let's assume you're starting aboard DS9. Beam out and check DS9 system space. If it isn't there, warp out to sector space and look there. What you get when you do that isn't the Beta Ursae assignments, but the generic Alpha Quadrant assignments. If it doesn't show up there, move due south into Dubhe sector, stopping as quickly as possible when you cross the boundary. Check there and you'll get the Alpha Trianguli block assignments. If it isn't there, turn back north into Bajor sector, stopping as soon as you cross the boundary. Now you';ll be getting the Beta Ursae block assignments. If it isn't there, move over to the west into the Cardassia sector. This will bring back the generic Alpha Quadrant assignments, but also has a chance to cause that one, and a few other chain assignments, to pop up. It was going across into Cardassia Sector that brought it up for me when I did it on my Jem'Hadar a couple of weeks ago. If it hasn't popped up by then, head farther west into the Arawath sector, again stopping as soon as you cross the boundary. This will give you the Zeta Andromedae block assignments. If it isn't there by now, you will have to wait until the next cycle.

This is a good process to remember for most of the story-based assignment chains, because most of them, except for the early parts of Facility 4028 Fugitives, appear mainly in these sectors. Despite claims that various chain assignments are broken, I've managed to finish them all by following these steps to pick up hard-to-find assignments, and on my Jem'Hadar, I didn't have to check through many cycle resets to get any of them. I believe that I went a maximum of 2 cycles on any of the story-based ones waiting for the next step in a chain to show up.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Location-dependent doff assignments have been borked since the sector revamp.

Since the wiki does not describe an exact position to park in where it's confirmed to appear, all you can do is roam the general vicinity of DS9 where the alpha quadrant special assignments usually show up, and hope for the best.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    I think it tends to be the sectors slightly west of DS9 if that helps.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    Location-dependent doff assignments have been borked since the sector revamp.

Since the wiki does not describe an exact position to park in where it's confirmed to appear, all you can do is roam the general vicinity of DS9 where the alpha quadrant special assignments usually show up, and hope for the best.

It's borked? Must be that I'm just super-lucky to find it in the area that it's always been in within a couple of cycles on both my Temporal Agent and Gamma Recruit. Must also be that people reporting not being able to find it for days well before the sector space revamp were time travelers or something.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    I found several of the story missions in the area on my Personal Missions tab, rather than the Current Sector tab. I don't remember which had Bribe the Ferasan, but it's worth checking the Personal tab for these things, too.
  • ajm1067ajm1067 Member Posts: 205 Arc User
    This should help you: https://sto.gamepedia.com/Assignment_chain:_Ghosts_of_the_Jem'Hadar

Also...on the particular assignment you mention...you do have 10 Faresan Nepata Leaves in your inventory/bank and a Trader doff available, yes? If not, that might explain it not appearing.

But otherwise, what anodynes posted should get you through.

What I would emphasise is that the current map assignments will change within the sectors around DS9 and you have to pay attention to it like a hawk. Do not go purely by sector boundaries. If you do, you could miss it.

It may also seem counter-intuitive, but it does seem that you can hit or miss some of these depending on what direction you are going. I've found that if you go around the DS9 & adjacent sectors clockwise, going counter-clockwise may actually hit something you didn't see going clockwise, and vice-versa.
    NewMixedCrest.jpg?width=350&height=170
    McVittie's Marauders - The House of Arrgh
    Website
    Discord
    I absolutely, positively, will not create more characters in STO now that I have five six seven eight nine ten!
    McVittie/Saren/Arrgh Son of Jahn/Taev Dar/Professor Moriarty/Mia/Vittie/Vidtana'Clan/Suram/Sarela
  • indysharkindyshark Member Posts: 1,543 Arc User
    I have been all over the sectors around and west of DS9 without any luck. I'll keep looking but this is frustrating. I wish it was tied to my commendation rank so that when I hit a certain level, it would appear
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    I made it all the way to the end of the chain, I'm finishing step 10 on my Jem'Hadar now. For the last few steps, I checked my Current Sector, Personal and appropriate Department tabs in each Sector near DS9 inclusive, until it popped. Some of them took multiple go 'rounds to get, but they all turned up eventually.

EDIT: Just completed the chain, and collected Gul Tain! (Poetry purely serendipitous).
    Post edited by vorwoda on
    I am still stuck and have been checking like crazy in all of the sectors around DS9. I have never had this problem with my other toons
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I am stuck on two Characters from over a year and a half ago at Assignment 5, the Bribing, and gave up after a few weeks. Occasionally I go back to try again with no luck. I have scoured the Sectors a number of times going at a crawling Warp speed, crisscrossing over Sector boundaries in tiny 'v's or straight up and down like a printer with the slightest horizontal displacement. My Current Sector Assignments is open and is watched like a Hawk.

It just won't trigger.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    I thought I was doing something wrong. Perhaps it is bugged!
    Still searching with no luck. I was hoping it would pop now that I have reached Tier 4 for all of my DOFF masteries, but no!
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    This is the sector space walls came down bug. You must just barely cross over the sector line and stop to get the mission. Also for one of them - probably this one - it appears at a particular system over there north west of ds9. I looked for it a month ago but couldn't find which system. It might be the B'lii System or the Kinjun System. If you fly just close to them look for your missions to change. That will show which one it is.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

I tried both of those systems and neither worked. I'll keep trying
    Still looking with no luck. I've never had this problem with any of my other toons. :(
    I had gone back a few months later on a different Character and got stuck on that same Bribe Assignment. Again, very slow tiny movements all the way up to Defera.

Maybe they suddenly became a noble race and refused to be bribed. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Ha ha ha. I guess. I've been all over that area watching for the mission to change. Do you remember which tab it appeared in?
    'Current Sector' is where it should pop. I still have not seen that Assignment.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Those borders for DOFFing in Alpha Quadrant are a bit wonky. They don't all match up with the actual border you see on the map. You may be missing some of the update points on the map. I think sometimes the list would change as you fly by different planets. ???

It has been a while since I did any heavy DOFFing in Alpha Quad.

I remember someone cataloged it on a map...where the borders worked and where they did not and where they moved to. I don't have a book mark to it, I am not even sure if the picture would be up, any more. Maybe someone saved the URL....or the picture.

Oh there is one more place I can check for it...on FB.
    If I find it, I will be back... If not, I am going to sleep.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    I've read all the 'quide' postings for this that I could find and did not exclusively limit myself from just checking on the Sector Borders.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited August 2018
    I found it....it was on Reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/3pdjod/mapping_sector_space_current_map_doff_missions/

Picture here for Alpha Sector...there are other ones for Beta etc....:
    http://i.imgur.com/7GgueDP.jpg

NOTE: Alpha Sector has been changed and added to since this map was done. BUT just maybe inside the older sectors it did not change much. All you can do is check.

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    Thanks for your help. I visited every planet and SB on that map and didn't find it. I did watch to see if my missions changed as I moved sectors. Damn I hate this mission!
  • qqqqiiqqqqii Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    ajm1067 wrote: »
    Also...on the particular assignment you mention...you do have 10 Faresan Nepata Leaves in your inventory/bank and a Trader doff available, yes? If not, that might explain it not appearing.
    In that case, the mission would appear, it just wouldn't be possible to do it. The same as any other mission for which you lack a necessary component.
    I have the leaves and the right doff
    indyshark wrote: »
    Thanks for your help. I visited every planet and SB on that map and didn't find it. I did watch to see if my missions changed as I moved sectors. Damn I hate this mission!

I have not tried this on my Jem'Hadar, yet. I wonder if I will get stuck like you are.

• ffttfftt Member Posts: 715 Arc User
    The sector space revamp did bork things up a bit. There were three chains that my Gamma Recruit had particular trouble with: Ghosts of Jem'Hadar, Project Chrysalis, and Childrens' Toys. I finally knuckled down and hit those Alpha Quadrant border missions on every log on. The Ghosts and Chrysalis chains I finally got on that knife edge between the Bajor and Dubhe sectors and Toys between Algira and Orias sectors. What a relief to have Ghosts and Toys done and I'm down to the last mission in Chrysalis.

A fleetie was also stuck on Ghosts 5/10 and luckily was online when I managed to find it so I could give a shout out to help him get past it.

They are out there - but as far as I can tell unless you're in the know on that border missions 'feature' (I still can't believe that behavior is intentional) you may never be offered some of the chain mission parts.
    What 'feature' is that?
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited August 2018
    ltminns wrote: »
    What 'feature' is that?

The feature/bug of transitioning between certain sectors in a certain direction causing a set of current map assignments that are different than what the new sector missions would normally be if you don't patrol more deeply into that sector.
    ltminns wrote: »
    ...I have scoured the Sectors a number of times going at a crawling Warp speed, crisscrossing over Sector boundaries in tiny 'v's or straight up and down like a printer with the slightest horizontal displacement...

Try coming to a complete stop. Unless you stop completely those border missions will be replaced by the regular sector missions too quickly. I approach 1/4 speed and right when I see the fly-in notification I stop and wait until the current map missions update (it takes a couple of seconds). You don't have to do it on every sector transition edge and I only do it on Bajor-Dubhe and Algira-Orias transitions. NOTE: these are path dependent. Going from Dubhe to Bajor sector I always just end up with the Bajor missions but going from Bajor to Dubhe and stopping right as I see the fly-in gives me a different set of missions than if I enter Dubhe from a different direction.
This discussion has been closed.