What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Could we add playable Borg?

13»

Answers

• Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    A dev went into why a Borg Collective faction wouldn't work years ago and it amounted to there being no freedom for any action. If you want to go left, but the game wanted you to go right, then you go right. Unless you are the Queen, then there is no freedom within the Collective. Then there is the original idea about the Borg where every individual is one voice of many which would make for an interesting game. Have a game where everyone controls one character and for every choice like move left or right is determined by the majority.
  • Options
    thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    @thegrandnagus1 My last comment was meant to be tongue-in-cheek and more off topic commentary on the entitlement attitude of some of the more vocal complaintants of the game in general.

Don't get me wrong. If Cryptic created a Borg Faction, I would definitely play it. My concern is how it will devalue the current LTS. You're right, though, if they think they can make more money doing it, then they will. I just don't think it'll be anything that we'll see anytime soon.

I'm curious about your Foundry mission. What's it called?

Well to begin with the lifetime subscription borg is rather limited. Now if they add Borg Cooperative they could use Delta Quadrant Races. So for example they could use the following races suggested below.
    Tuterian, Kobali, Malon, Ocampa, Krenim, Octanti, Vaadwaur. By doing this they still keep the value of being able to play a human, klingon or Romulan liberated borg while being a member of the three main factions. While you have to play the liberated faction in order to play borg.

On a personal note here is my opinion they should just add the lifetime subscription stuff to the zen store remove the free monthy zen benefits and classify it as an expansion addon. Giving out all the ships, costumes and races without any of the other benefits. I'm sure people would buy those exclusive items they could not access to for a long long time. They could upgrade the ships make the races more expensive then the other races. Maybe for 1500 zen for one factions liberated borg type, while being forced to buy all three separately, I'm sure people would start buying just to have access.
  • Options
    kal36kal36 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    > @darthvader123#8971 said:
    > I want more characters that are entirely Borg, or, even better, add a NEW civilization: The Borg. You can fly borg spheres at first, but as you progress, you get to fly some CUBES!!! Also, make sure that the new characters and civilization do NOT get purchased from the c-store; they are entirely free.
    >
    >
    > (Changed title to specify the stated OP for clarification. - BMR)

Never gonna happen
  • Options
    ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    @thegrandnagus1 My last comment was meant to be tongue-in-cheek and more off topic commentary on the entitlement attitude of some of the more vocal complaintants of the game in general.

Don't get me wrong. If Cryptic created a Borg Faction, I would definitely play it. My concern is how it will devalue the current LTS. You're right, though, if they think they can make more money doing it, then they will. I just don't think it'll be anything that we'll see anytime soon.

I'm curious about your Foundry mission. What's it called?

Well to begin with the lifetime subscription borg is rather limited. Now if they add Borg Cooperative they could use Delta Quadrant Races. So for example they could use the following races suggested below.
    Tuterian, Kobali, Malon, Ocampa, Krenim, Octanti, Vaadwaur. By doing this they still keep the value of being able to play a human, klingon or Romulan liberated borg while being a member of the three main factions. While you have to play the liberated faction in order to play borg.

On a personal note here is my opinion they should just add the lifetime subscription stuff to the zen store remove the free monthy zen benefits and classify it as an expansion addon. Giving out all the ships, costumes and races without any of the other benefits. I'm sure people would buy those exclusive items they could not access to for a long long time. They could upgrade the ships make the races more expensive then the other races. Maybe for 1500 zen for one factions liberated borg type, while being forced to buy all three separately, I'm sure people would start buying just to have access.

And what happens to the value of going LTS if you start removing stuff such as the monthly zen perk(and other rewards)? Or you start throwing all that stuff in the zen store?

Regarding anything Borg related here, the only thing I would really wish for, is the devs allowing things such as Liberated Borg Alien, Liberated Borg Gorn, Liberated Borg Vulcan, Liberated Borg Reman, or Liberated Borg Orion to be added to LTS options. Mostly for the outfit parts access.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    starkaos wrote: »
    A dev went into why a Borg Collective faction wouldn't work years ago and it amounted to there being no freedom for any action. If you want to go left, but the game wanted you to go right, then you go right. Unless you are the Queen, then there is no freedom within the Collective.

Yeah, I seem to remember some comments along those lines in the past; I think in a podcast interview(probably P1). And it's fine to have that opinion. But the reality is, we already have proof that that scenario isn't a "requirement". There has already been a Trek game where you play as a single Borg ship, and the game isn't controlling the ship; the player is. The game isn't controlling when the ship turns right, left, etc, the player is. So we already have proof that there can be a game where the player controls an individual Borg ship.

Now, that stuff I just said above doesn't mean people have to agree that playable Borg should happen or that it is "appropriate", and disagreeing is fine. The point is simply that it has been done before, so saying it can't be done is false.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    They could have a miniseries similar in style to renegades regret where you are placed into the cybernetic implants of a drone.

Although they'd have to tighten up the writing and actually give players abilities to use to prevent it becoming the tedious walking sim that RR ended up being.