test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Nichelle Nichols has Dementia

mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
edited May 2018 in Ten Forward
Nichelle Nichols' son (Kyle Johnson) has confirmed that his mother who played as Nyota Uhura in ST TOS is currently suffering from short term memory problems and now needs help to protect her from those looking to exploit her vulnerable state, it has gotten to the point she can no longer look after her own affairs properly and Kyle is now stepping in through the courts to look after her. It is confirmed that Nichelle is indeed suffering from Dementia.

This is obviously horrible news and for someone who touched so many hearts around the world. I'd like to hope Nichelle can fight it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5693761/Nichelle-Nichols-played-Lieutenant-Uhura-Star-Trek-suffering-severe-memory-loss.html

https://www.tmz.com/2018/05/04/star-trek-star-nichelle-nichols-memory-loss-dementia-son/

T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.

Comments

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I'm frankly surprised that it took that long to be a topic. The signs were already there when you were watching interviews with Mrs. Nichols for various Trek documentaries years ago.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I'm frankly surprised that it took that long to be a topic. The signs were already there when you were watching interviews with Mrs. Nichols for various Trek documentaries years ago.​​

i had no idea she had it honestly. But at 85? she has done so much over the last 67 years and it has been a good life for her. Shes faced all sorts of challenges along the way, and the recent stroke in 2015. It would be tough to see her disappear day by day.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    i had no idea she had it honestly. But at 85? she has done so much over the last 67 years and it has been a good life for her. Shes faced all sorts of challenges along the way, and the recent stroke in 2015. It would be tough to see her disappear day by day.

Dementia is a mean and lurking sickness. I am very sensitive due to numerous family cases and, frankly, it's probably a fate I might have myself. Who knows, but from what I know there were signs I immediately associated with it when I saw Nichelle Nichols in her more recent appearances. It'll be tough for everyone involved.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »

Dementia is a mean and lurking sickness. I am very sensitive due to numerous family cases and, frankly, it's probably a fate I might have myself. Who knows, but from what I know there were signs I immediately associated with it when I saw Nichelle Nichols in her more recent appearances. It'll be tough for everyone involved.​​

Depending on your age, it might be a thing of the past when you get old enough to get Dementia considering how medical technology always improves.